Trying to synthesize some sturdy material from bacteria colonies, fungi, or plants.

Hey. I'm looking for an inexpensive process to synthesize a sturdy material from bacteria, plants or fungi.

What species do I need? How do I extract the compound from the rest of the organic matter? Does the compound need to be heated or treated in any way?

Lol. Sorry. I am trying to make a process that doesn't require me to use anything that requires pre-existing strong materials.

Maybe what I'm asking for is too much. I was hoping there would be a nifty little compound out there that when combined with another common resource and (let's say heated) treated it would become much stronger.

A mushroom brick sounds interesting. I need to be able to fashion the material down to 1x1inch area.

I may be able to use different techniques for different areas. But I just want to start with something.

Next I will need a good circuit material/compound that can also be pulled from the earth by nature. I imagine this one will be much harder to find. But I have a crispr kit arriving soon and I intend to splice eel dna.

-==================================

I imagine it may require a lot of the original organic matter to produce a relatively VERY small amount of the compound I need.

I'm looking for a compound extraction process that requires minimal non, organic origins. :/

It would be awesome if I could extract and synthesize with sunlight heat.
Clear lenses can be made already.

Edited by NoahWatchmaker

So I had this little exchange with someone else from another forum. I think my issue has been resolved. I will be trying to get chitin or collagen

>>7955842 (You)
wooden robot is fine.

If you were hell bend on this stupid growing stuff shit, you could use fungi to farm chitin, and figure out how to use the chitin to make structures. Another thjng you could try is get something to synthesize collagen and use it to make matrixes with high tensile strength, not jello.
>>
Anonymous 03/25/16(Fri)09:41:15 No.7955854
>>7955853
THIS GUY GETS IT

IF the robot were to be wooden it would have to be able to grow the wood into specific shapes. I just don't see that happening

They are talking about feeding beetles the fungi to obtain chitin. Collagen would be from animals.

it is hard to imagine that being a winner.

I'm looking for an inexpensive process to synthesize a sturdy material from bacteria, plants or fungi.

it looks more like "I'm looking for an expensive process to synthesize a sturdy material from animals, bacteria, plants or fungi".

One of the toughest and most wasted proteins is in blood. Fibrin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrin

Fibrin (also called Factor Ia) is a fibrous, non-globular protein involved in the clotting of blood. It is formed by the action of the protease thrombin on fibrinogen which causes it to polymerize. The polymerized fibrin together with platelets forms a hemostatic plug or clot over a wound site.

When the lining of a blood vessel is broken, platelets are attracted forming a platelet plug. These platelets have thrombin receptors on their surfaces that bind serum thrombin molecules[1] which in turn convert soluble fibrinogen in the serum into fibrin at the wound site. Fibrin forms long strands of tough insoluble protein that are bound to the platelets. Factor XIII completes the cross-linking of fibrin so that it hardens and contracts. The cross-linked fibrin forms a mesh atop the platelet plug that completes the clot.

That and even blood itself (when it is dried on a surface it becomes a very insoluble material). I couldn't find anyone using it as a surface coating.

That was very clever of you. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/fungi/fungimm.html

Another feature of fungi is the presence of chitin in their cell walls. This is a long carbohydrate polymer that also occurs in the exoskeletons of insects, spiders, and other arthropods. The chitin adds rigidity and structural support to the thin cells of the fungus, and makes fresh mushrooms crisp.

I have been looking for a dietary source of chitin. Thanks I didn't know it was found in fungi yet I knew about being in the exoskeletons.

Edited by Robittybob1

I will see how far i can get with what's been presented too me.

I'm thinking my final project will have a "hive" center where there is a system dedicated for component synthesis. I want to make a colony of replicating organisms that can self-sustain.

Diatoms produce silica.

can i make mechanical arms with this stuff?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...