Natural Gas producing algae?

DanTrentfield

So I've been working on this thread http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/93574-propane-versus-gasoline/and I would like to know, is there any specific algae that produce large amounts of natural gas? I'm not a biology buff so....

The future might be See Phy.org: Tiny red crystals dramatically increase biogas production.

The technique involves the addition of small amounts of a synthetic dye that forms previously unobserved needle-like crystals to help the methane-producing microbes grow faster.

"It's simple. If the microbes grow faster, they fart more methane," says study senior author UNSW Associate Professor Mike Manefield.

Another contender is hydrogen, but they may serve different applications because hydrogen is typically stored under great pressure or very cold.

The future might be See Phy.org: Tiny red crystals dramatically increase biogas production.

Another contender is hydrogen, but they may serve different applications because hydrogen is typically stored under great pressure or very cold.

No, hydrogen is great for power plants and all, but the flame temperature SHEESH! You'll melt the engine block of a semi in a split second, I'm going out on a limb here and trying to figure out a way to use gaseous propane which is a by product of natural gas refinement (Including Methane) to power a driveshaft in a midsize sedan for greater fuel efficiency and such.

No, hydrogen is great for power plants and all, but the flame temperature SHEESH! You'll melt the engine block of a semi in a split second, I'm going out on a limb here and trying to figure out a way to use gaseous propane which is a by product of natural gas refinement (Including Methane) to power a driveshaft in a midsize sedan for greater fuel efficiency and such.

for a 5hp engine running on hydrogen, according to video.

However, my post suggested hydrogen would be used for other applications. It isn't particularly kind to IC engines.

Possibly, algae can be grown in salt water ponds, oil and other valuables extracted, and remains used in a digester to make methane. Algae grows faster than anything else, doubling in hours under ideal conditions. Thus, it should be the least expensive feed for a digester. However, it's not been done on a large scale afaik. I assume it would be a poor business.

Edited by EdEarl

• 10 months later...