63 replies to this topic

#61 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 36,039 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Studying physics is a waste of time in my opinion.Physics is an extremely difficult subject for most people and many professional physicists also do not make a lot of money.So why study physics when you can get into a good business school and study economics or business administration and get rich quickly?

Not everyone has the goal of getting rich at the expense of other things, e.g. enjoying their work.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#62 BenSCBSc

BenSCBSc

Quark

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Time travel & wormholes are in the realm of special and general relativity? Not quantum mechanics, as for dimensions? Maybe string theory, M theory? Or just plain old geometry? It would appear that your argument was flawed from the outset as the last 100 yrs has seen a huge surge in knowledge with respect to quantum mechanics. It is key to every electronic device you can think of in modern society. It has aided all the other sciences from biology and the discovery of the structure of DNA to palaeontology and NMR spectroscopy and Imaging. Our modern way of life would be extremely different without the advances in qm that have been achieved, it seems quite apparent that you don't really know what quantum mechanics is responsible for.

#63 felpeyu2

felpeyu2

Lepton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 3 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

Basic research is never a waste of time and it is the origin for the long term achievements. Without basis research we would still be living in caverns and I can imagine one of these human beings grunting that language or painting is a waste of time and that it is more important to get a bigger club...

#64 _amonso

_amonso

Lepton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 3 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

I think it's because people are undeniably curious about the world and physically can't stop themselves from exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users