when u doze off into dreams and amt move

newclass

So i was sleep and couldnt breath i was tryn so hard then last sec i did , i walked down stairs to get a drank.i thought i was dehydrated or sumthing..it was about 3 am ish

...later that evening it hit me, i asked mself did that really happen did i almost die...

That was bout a wk ago , just now i come home from.work lay down all of a sudden im drift into a sleep a sumthijg..i cant move im.trying to scream i csnt thrn my phone beeps i awake o open my eyes...wats goin on ?

Sleep paralysis; aka Old Hag Syndrome.

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person, either falling asleep or awakening, temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body). One hypothesis is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which normally induces complete muscle atonia to prevent sleepers from acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation.[1][2] ...

I saw the 'old hag' just a few nights ago. I have not seen it since my teenage years. I was away in a strange bed and I think that was the reason for disturbed sleep and this 'sighting'. Interestingly, the grounds of the building I was staying at is reportedly haunted by a ghost of the one of the ladies of the house; she is called the black lady.

Edited by ajb

• 4 weeks later...

What I find remarkable about sleep paralysis is that it is documented throughout history, from one separate culture to another. If I'm not mistaken, Japanese lore has talked about this fat, sumo-wrestler like ghost that sleeps on people's chests, causing people to stay paralyzed shortly after waking up.

We are all human. :)

Might help to focus on the muscles you can move, fingers, eyes; until you come out of it.

I'm honestly curious to know what it is like to experience it myself. Only sleep oddity left on my bucket list.

You've experienced Exploding Head Syndrome?! :eek:

I think I have actually. Gunshots where there were none. I was pretty out of it though. Feverish and on medications, while still only half awake.

Sleepwalking is the only one I've had happen repeatedly and thankfully only when exceptionally stressed. Somewhat vexingly can't experience that one.

I think I have actually. Gunshots where there were none. I was pretty out of it though. Feverish and on medications, while still only half awake.

Sleepwalking is the only one I've had happen repeatedly and thankfully only when exceptionally stressed. Somewhat vexingly can't experience that one.

If you ever do, you will be freaked.

I've been woken up and had the impression there had just been a loud bang. No repetition, and no evidence in the morning of anything that could have made it. I figure if my dog isn't whining to check it out, it must have been in my head.

If the repetitions are somewhat predictable, you could start wearing a spycam to bed and record the episodes.

If you ever do, you will be freaked.

My single childhood experience helps confirm this. For a good half hour after I was woken up (not in the home I fell asleep in), I was convinced everyone had done this to ME, instead of the other way around.

I've always ended up back in bed so far. Whatever neurons are taking my body out for a walk at least know where they need to return the thing. :)

And in defiance of the HUP, they seem to also know just how fast they need to go to get you back before you wake up!

If the repetitions are somewhat predictable, you could start wearing a spycam to bed and record the episodes.

I've thought about this but it would be hard to deliberately stress myself out that much. One time for example was during boot camp when I had my bunk kicked until I was up and standing(apparently zero awareness is required for this). Mercifully FSM intervened and the instructors were called away before they realized what was going on.

My single childhood experience helps confirm this. For a good half hour after I was woken up (not in the home I fell asleep in), I was convinced everyone had done this to ME, instead of the other way around.

You mean they still haven't let you in on the practical joke? :o;)

Edited by Endy0816

I get EHS and what the OP describes sounds totally different.

I didn't say it was the same. When Endy0816 said paralysis was the "Only sleep oddity left on my bucket list", I asked him if he'd had EHS. Here is a definition of bucket list.

Sorry to hear about your EHS.

I didn't say it was the same. When Endy0816 said paralysis was the "Only sleep oddity left on my bucket list", I asked him if he'd had EHS. Here is a definition of bucket list.

Sorry to hear about your EHS.

I had another jolt of EHS last night. I have two places that I sleep during the week, 3 nights here and 4 elsewhere, and so far all the EHS attacks have occurred here. I was thinking about pulling a microwave apart and then it was like I had an electric shock through my head. There was the crack of the electrical spark and the episode was over. I went back to thinking about the same subject but it didn't repeat. I was deliberately trying to see if I could get it again. It seems random but it is only happening here just in the time before I go to sleep.

I had another jolt of EHS last night. I have two places that I sleep during the week, 3 nights here and 4 elsewhere, and so far all the EHS attacks have occurred here. I was thinking about pulling a microwave apart and then it was like I had an electric shock through my head. There was the crack of the electrical spark and the episode was over. I went back to thinking about the same subject but it didn't repeat. I was deliberately trying to see if I could get it again. It seems random but it is only happening here just in the time before I go to sleep.

Maybe, your brain just gets gridlocked and you experience a kind of neurological 'whiteout' manifesting as a spasm occasionally..

Edited by StringJunky

Maybe, your brain just gets gridlocked and you experience a kind of neurological 'whiteout' manifesting as a spasm occasionally..

First time I was aware of it it was "an explosion of my whole brain". That time if felt like someone had fired a bullet through my head. It is all over in a split second. It is a really disturbing experience but it it must be able to be controlled since it is only happening here once a month or so.

Edited by Robittybob1

I found this that mirrors what I posted earlier:

Researchers think that the cause of EHS lies in the brainstem reticular formation, an area of the brain that regulates sensory-motor reflexes, eye movements, motor control, and transitions between sleep and wakefulness. The theory is that as we approach sleep, the brainstem acts as a night watchman, switching off those functions. In EHS, this routine is somehow disrupted, resulting in wild brain-cell firings that cause the perception of loud noises and flashing lights, as well as muscle spasms.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/how-to-defuse-exploding-head-syndrome/384553/

So i was sleep and couldnt breath i was tryn so hard then last sec i did , i walked down stairs to get a drank.i thought i was dehydrated or sumthing..it was about 3 am ish

...later that evening it hit me, i asked mself did that really happen did i almost die...

The only part I can speak to is the breathing stoppage. In my case it is caused by sleep apnea as I am over weight and always try to sleep on one side or the other but occasionally I roll onto my back and have a problem with my breathing. So far this is a very rare occurance so I try to ignore it.

Pat Hagar