I love this forum, but screw all the non-science!!!!

MonDie

This really is a really good place to discuss science and math, which is why I came back, but the other forums are such a persistent distraction. For the rest of 2015, I will not post in any of the Philosophy or Other Topics sections aside from Speculations, Suggestions, and this thread. If I do, bring this thread back.

Wow, I screw all the thread title semantics. I just got all hot and bothered when I realized that my other, isolated laptop lacked a C++ compiler.

Edited by MonDie

I just got up to date on the thread "Why is the female crowd not attracted to STEM fields?" in the Politics section. While I enjoy the science sections I find that some of the best discussions take place in the non-science sections.

The STEM debate has been passionate, well argued, polite, and full of the scientific approach to discussion I enjoy so much. If this site wasn't free I'd pay for a subscription! :)

This really is a really good place to discuss science and math, which is why I came back, but the other forums are such a persistent distraction. For the rest of 2015, I will not post in any of the Philosophy or Other Topics sections aside from Speculations, Suggestions, and this thread. If I do, bring this thread back.

The Lounge here is like Non-science Help. We're going to help you work this out for yourself, but we're not going to do the work for you.

You aren't being distracted, you're letting yourself become distracted. Understand the difference and you're on the road to recovery.

You shouldn't restrict your future choices of what you find interesting and compelling. As zapatos said, some really awesome discussions happen in non-science fora.

Set a time limit for SFN if you need to. If your phone has a timer, set your limit and let it count down when you're here, pause it when you're not. When the timer goes off, you're done for the day.

Just the fact that some of these subjects can distract you, means you have some interest in them.

Science and math can be a little 'dry' at times, but some other subjects where we deal more with personal opinions can get real passionate.

• 3 months later...

The STEM debate has been passionate, well argued, polite, and full of the scientific approach to discussion I enjoy so much. If this site wasn't free I'd pay for a subscription! :)

I would ditto that, but a paygate might adversely affect the site.

Just the fact that some of these subjects can distract you, means you have some interest in them.

Science and math can be a little 'dry' at times, but some other subjects where we deal more with personal opinions can get real passionate.

I find those topics easier to answer because I don't know enough science.

Set a time limit for SFN if you need to. If your phone has a timer, set your limit and let it count down when you're here, pause it when you're not. When the timer goes off, you're done for the day.

I was working with things like that, e.g. browser addons like LeechBlock, config files, cronjobs, privelege restrictions, hard-to-remember passwords, etc, but a big problem with some of those is that I will continue to think about the topic anyway. However given the adjustments induced by my latest obstacles, I might not need any of it anymore. I almost want to thank my enemy. That's right. >:D

Rest assured I will still contribute on occasion, when I have something interesting to say.

Anyway, I'm presently enticed beyond this realm. I'm probably just about to retire for a couple weeks at least.

Edited by MonDie