Blocked out of Highschool so cant go to college

Marshalscienceguy

I been looking for colleges that start later than January with a education class. I found one that has the right date and right classes. However I cant go. They require a letter of recommendation and transcripts straight from my high-school. However my old High-school is really strict about doing anything or letting graduates near or in the school. To get in or to talk to anyone I have to call a teacher inside the school and have them call the front office and tell them to let me in. Since I dont have a good relationship with my HS I cant get my transcripts transferred or ask a teacher for recommendation letter. So what am I suppose to? Does that mean I cant go since my HS is unreasonable. How do I deal with this? The next option would be sneaking into the school but I might get arrested for trespassing and I dont understand why students should have to go to these lengths just to go to attempt to sign up for college. It has nothing to do with how well I did as a student the school just seems to no longer value anyone who graduated as any-longer associated with them.

They require a letter of recommendation and transcripts straight from my high-school.

The first thing to do if there really is a problem is talk to the college. Let them know your situation and they may be able to find some way round it.

However my old High-school is really strict about doing anything or letting graduates near or in the school. To get in or to talk to anyone I have to call a teacher inside the school and have them call the front office and tell them to let me in. Since I dont have a good relationship with my HS I cant get my transcripts transferred or ask a teacher for recommendation letter.

You have actually tried in person and they refused to show you your transcripts?

So what am I suppose to? Does that mean I cant go since my HS is unreasonable. How do I deal with this?

You write a nice email or letter to the head explaining who you are, that you need your transcripts and why.

Can the local education board help?

I am very surprised by this, assuming that you left high school quite recently.

You write a nice email or letter to the head explaining who you are, that you need your transcripts and why.

Yes the correct way is in writing.

I'm Old Fashioned in that I believe that important matters (like this) should be on paper not by Email.

It's easy to claim an Email was never received, but you can't claim you didn't reveive a letter when the other party has proof of posting/delivery.

But remember what ajb said

"A nice letter". I would add nice = polite and businesslike. Short, not rambling. Get someone to check the English and spelling.

Edited by studiot

Yes the correct way is in writing.

I'm Old Fashioned in that I believe that important matters (like this) should be on paper not by Email.

It's easy to claim an Email was never received, but you can't claim you didn't reveive a letter when the other party has proof of posting/delivery.

But remember what ajb said

"A nice letter". I would add nice = polite and businesslike. Short, not rambling. Get someone to check the English and spelling.

My school does not have Email either but I guess I will try a Letter see if that does anything. The issue is they wont let me anywhere near the school its even technically against the rule to sit in the parking lot.

The first thing to do if there really is a problem is talk to the college. Let them know your situation and they may be able to find some way round it.

You have actually tried in person and they refused to show you your transcripts?

Can the local education board help?

I am very surprised by this, assuming that you left high school quite recently.

I left awhile ago but I tried going back a year after graduation to do this kind of stuff and they still wont let me in.

They dont let me on campus unless I call a teacher and the teacher lets me in. If not I have to wait outside and the guards never let me in. Actually I have to wait nearly on street. I cant even wait in the parking lot. Last time I ask someone drop me off in the morning and I had to wait all day to get a ride and I barely out of the way of traffic.

Edited by Marshalscienceguy

My school does not have Email either but I guess I will try a Letter see if that does anything. The issue is they wont let me anywhere near the school its even technically against the rule to sit in the parking lot.

I left awhile ago but I tried going back a year after graduation to do this kind of stuff and they still wont let me in.

They dont let me on campus unless I call a teacher and the teacher lets me in. If not I have to wait outside and the guards never let me in. Actually I have to wait nearly on street. I cant even wait in the parking lot. Last time I ask someone drop me off in the morning and I had to wait all day to get a ride and I barely out of the way of traffic.

It's sad that you don't have a good relationship with any of the teachers, but they have to give you those documents. You've made it much harder, and I think that's really what you're complaining about. You have a bad relationship with ALL your teachers?! You told yourself you didn't need to stay on your teachers good side, and it looks like you were wrong and can't admit it, so you're complaining that it's all their fault.

So make the phone call and tell whichever teacher that answers that you need to get your transcripts, or go through the administrative office. There's a bureaucratic protocol you have to follow to get them, but they can't NOT give them to you. You can't really tell me you find a phone call to be so insurmountable a task.

Colleges are going to expect you to be able to handle this kind of red tape. If you're serious about higher education, take responsibility,

It's sad that you don't have a good relationship with any of the teachers, but they have to give you those documents. You've made it much harder, and I think that's really what you're complaining about. You have a bad relationship with ALL your teachers?! You told yourself you didn't need to stay on your teachers good side, and it looks like you were wrong and can't admit it, so you're complaining that it's all their fault.

So make the phone call and tell whichever teacher that answers that you need to get your transcripts, or go through the administrative office. There's a bureaucratic protocol you have to follow to get them, but they can't NOT give them to you. You can't really tell me you find a phone call to be so insurmountable a task.

Colleges are going to expect you to be able to handle this kind of red tape. If you're serious about higher education, take responsibility,

No I never said I have a bad relationship with all my teachers and I dont see how its my fault the school has such strict policy's and does not want to let graduates near the premises. I simply cant speak with any of the teachers so I cant get in the school. I tried emailing one of the teachers but she did not mail back. No one picks up the phone ever and I have tried calling many times. I also think some of the teachers I knew no longer work there. Im sure the school had these policy's BEFORE I attended it and it was a closed campus since I attended. I also was the student that always did try in school so I dont think most teachers hated me unless they were bad teachers like my abusive computer teacher who use to parade the kids doing poor in class in front of the class to mock them and than told the TA to mock them but I dont think that's my fault. I dont think its ever appropriate for a teacher to openly mock a student for struggling and refuse to help when they request it. I need to speak with the teacher and staff in school but I cant get in school. I did call teachers a number of times.

Edited by Marshalscienceguy

No I never said I have a bad relationship with all my teachers and I dont see how its my fault the school has such strict policy's and does not want to let graduates near the premises. I simply cant speak with any of the teachers so I cant get in the school. I tried emailing one of the teachers but she did not mail back. No one picks up the phone ever and I have tried calling many times. I also think some of the teachers I knew no longer work there. Im sure the school had these policy's BEFORE I attended it and it was a closed campus since I attended. I also was the student that always did try in school so I dont think most teachers hated me unless they were bad teachers like my abusive computer teacher who use to parade the kids doing poor in class in front of the class to mock them and than told the TA to mock them but I dont think that's my fault. I dont think its ever appropriate for a teacher to openly mock a student for struggling and refuse to help when they request it. I need to speak with the teacher and staff in school but I cant get in school. I did call teachers a number of times.

Sorry, I obviously read too much into it when you said you didn't have a good relationship with your HS. Look, forget what's fair and not fair. This is your higher education at stake. If making phone calls to teachers doesn't work, you move up to the next rung on the ladder. Find someone at the county level, or perhaps through your board of education, who can help you get those transcripts. Alternately, you can call a friend from school who went to college and find out how they did it. And if that doesn't work, be prepared to take your request all the way to the county or state superintendent's office (you most likely won't have to).

You can't just say Oh, I called teachers a number of times and then think your part is over, that you're blocked out and can't go to college. Your part is getting those transcripts, focus on that and not about mocking computer teachers and the fairness of the system.

You want to go to college, right? You're not doing all this to stall until it's too late to enroll for next semester, right? You're going to make sure you get those documents, right?

You should explore more than one avenue.

By now you should have written and posted the letter ajb, and I suggested.

That will set a marker you can always fall back on.

If it produces two sets of transcripts because Phi's advice also works all well and good.

But at least you would be able to say to the County Superintendent or whatever, the chair of the school governors did not respond to my letter of 23 December 2014 if (and I hope you don't) have to.

I'm confused as to how the school can refuse to release your transcripts. Unless you owed them money, or something similar, and they use that as leverage, it seems to me they are obligated to do that.

That is what I would have thought...

I also assume that Marshalscienceguy is in the US. I don't know of any UK high schools that would not allow you to speak face to face with the school secretary. Walking round the school itself uninvited maybe different, but speaking to the administration or booking an appointment with the head should be easy enough.

That all said, the best advice is to write a letter and see what happens next. Requesting transcripts and letters of reference must be a rather common thing for schools to deal with, there should be no problem here at all.

It's been too long for me to remember how I got my HS transcripts back in the days of carbon paper, but a request sent to the administration and a check for whatever small fee is charged should be a pretty standard process that they explain somewhere. I just checked – my school offers two ways of delivery, explained in their web page. Plus a contact phone number and email. In this day and age, I'd expect every school to have such a section on their site.

Another option that may be available (it always has been at my schools, at least), is to simply have the college obtain the transcripts they need directly. You fill out a form in the registrar's office, sign it, they mail it to the school and the schools sends the transcripts back to the university.

In fact, most universities in the US (or at least the ones that I have attended) will not accept a transcript hand delivered by a student on the grounds that it may have been altered in some fashion. They request a certified copy from the school directly.