Can we have a History forum ?

None, however it could become redundant. I like the idea I am just struggling to imagine it I guess. Do you have examples of possible discussions that would be specifically suited for a history forum that would not fit elsewhere?

Sure, see Ophiolite's post.

He mentioned quite a few interesting possible discussions.

Another ( more contemporary ) one I'd like to discuss is the fact ( and the reasons ) Western democracies will never win another war again.

What year would you designate a cut off point? Nothing this century? Or maybe even a rolling 20 - 25 year black out period. Then the emotions can settle down a little and the politics can be in a more historical context. Hmm . . . . OK . . . . How about a 50 year black out?

What year would you designate a cut off point? Nothing this century? Or maybe even a rolling 20 - 25 year black out period. Then the emotions can settle down a little and the politics can be in a more historical context. Hmm . . . . OK . . . . How about a 50 year black out?

Since my primary historical interests lie in military history, World War II and Hitler I would be OK with a fifty year moratorium.

I just checked my data base and see that I have 324 books on history, of which close to 2/3 would cover those topics. So I am very much in favour of adding such a category.

Why not try an experimental roll out for three months?

Since my primary historical interests lie in military history, World War II and Hitler

Oh yes, I too enjoy the classics.

I am drawn to that first half of the last century myself. No matter how many times over the years I am reacquainted with the same material from various sources I will again indulge in it, as if some glutton of war and suffering. My inability to comprehend it in its insane entirety is what I think draws me to it. Those who say they do are deceiving themselves . . . . Dammit! Ophiolite you pulled me right into it like some crack dealer! <_<

Oh, I see what you mean.

Some conflicts are still too raw and could explode in our forum.

I don't have a solution for that problem. But even a hundred yrs wouldn't help as I know we have some Brits, and I'm sure there must be some Irish.

I don't have a solution for that problem. But even a hundred yrs wouldn't help as I know we have some Brits, and I'm sure there must be some Irish.

Since the Good Friday Agreement there has been far less trouble. Most British are not anti-Irish or anything. I would not imagine that that discussing the 'troubles' would descend unto an argument. However, don't get me started on Napoleon or the 100 years war.. dam French. ;)

Edited by ajb

I agree about the French. The damned froggies let down the Young Pretender when he invaded England and sought to wrest the crown from the nasty English. Totally unreliable. And those cursed Italians, coming over here, building their roads and their walls and their bath-houses. If we wanted to be civilised we'd live in Milton Keynes.

I think a 50 year or so blackout is a good idea. For recent topics there are probably not sufficient scholarly work as a basis, anyway. I would suggest that if we want to start doing it, maybe just start a topic in the politics, religion or speculations section (depending on how speculative the discussions are going to be) but maybe tag them to highlight that the historic aspects are are the main topic of discussion. If there is enough interest there may be a good reason to add another sub-forum.

My interest tend to global (mostly rise and fall of empires and the role of economics) and less specific (such as military) so I am not sure I could contribute at all. But then there are already two active posters who have expressed interest in military history of WWII, so there is one starting point.

Edit: I should add to my earlier post that the outlook I have is based on discussions with friends of mine, who happen to be historians. As I have some insights into their professional work, i tend to view history as any other kind of scientific/scholarly discussion. And as it is the case with those, I typically feel that high-quality discussions are best with mods/experts presents to weigh in on matters (as a few other science forums tend to be a less than enjoyable cesspool celebrating the spread of ignorance). But then I am likely overthinking the matter and It should be fun just to try it out.

Edited by CharonY

It seems that there is a Historical Method

Historical method comprises the techniques and guidelines by which historians use primary sources and other evidence, including the evidence of archaeology, to research and then to write histories in the form of accounts of the past. The question of the nature, and even the possibility, of a sound historical method is raised in the philosophy of history as a question of epistemology. The study of historical method and of different ways of writing history is known as historiography.