OK - so now I want a new cross-shaped Light Saber

imatfaal

What is it that creates the thrill? I first saw Star Wars in 1977 as a young child with my mum and a few friends and whilst I really enjoyed it I wouldn't say it left that much of an impression on me - I prefered Superman, Smokey and the Bandit; even more - my elder brothers took me to see Close Encounters which terrified and fascinated me and had a life long impression on me. But I watch that trailer above and when that music from John Williams cuts in I feel a frisson of terror, excitement and anticipation - literally the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

It's silly and somehow atavistic - but magnificent and inspiring; are we all so easily manipulated?

Cynicism aside; anyone of my sort of age - click the link and enjoy a few seconds of childhood wonder once more.

I am looking forward to this film as well. I remember, the first time I saw that jump to light speed, sitting near the front row, just blew me away. Star wars is a great mixture of sword and sorcery and science fiction, in my estimation that is two of the hardest things to mix and not come across as just silly but Star Wars has always managed a decent story and once you suspend your disbelief it is as mind boggling as Alice in Wonder Land and as exciting as a great Western, I love it!

I just wish Star Trek hadn't been killed by you know who...

• 2 weeks later...

The new light saber design intrigues me as much as Darth Maul's double bladed light saber did when I first saw it. Seeing something different from the standard design makes me think about other possible light saber type weapon ideas. In any case, I am excited and nervous about this new movie.