Hendo Hoverboard - The real deal?

Unity+

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/physics-hendo-hoverboard/

This hoverboard looks like the real deal – unlike the recent fake hoverboard. Although I’m not exactly sure how the Hendo Hoverboard works, I have a pretty good guess. Let’s look at electromagnetic repulsion physics that it might use.

If you read the description on the kickstarter page, it says:

“The magic behind the hoverboard lies in its four disc-shaped hover engines. These create a special magnetic field which literally pushes against itself, generating the lift which levitates our board off the ground.”

That “pushes against itself” makes me worried. You can’t make yourself fly by pulling up on your belt, can you? No, you can’t. But there is a way that this could work.

Have we fulfilled the Back to the Future dream of hoverboards? Or is this simply another ploy?

As the article points out, it could work above a copper or similar surface and their web page says it needs a "special surface". They rather optimistically (if not unrealistically) hope that one day it can work on any surface.

Their wording also rather implies that it can't yet support the weight of a person.

So it sounds real, for suitable values of the word "real".

I figured, this is probably a similar technology as the "inductrack" (this is where I first heard about it) and is further similar in principle to asynchronous (cage) motor. Only, the original inductrack used permanent magnets for levitation (and therefore had to be moved at some speed to achieve the levitation) while in this case obviously electromagnets must be used to generate moving magnetic field even when the board is hovering steady.

This page took 100MB from my bandwidth. When I discovered it, I immediately left so I didn't have time to check if their model can carry a person nor how long would battery last.

I figured, this is probably a similar technology as the "inductrack" (this is where I first heard about it) and is further similar in principle to asynchronous (cage) motor. Only, the original inductrack used permanent magnets for levitation (and therefore had to be moved at some speed to achieve the levitation) while in this case obviously electromagnets must be used to generate moving magnetic field even when the board is hovering steady.

This page took 100MB from my bandwidth. When I discovered it, I immediately left so I didn't have time to check if their model can carry a person nor how long would battery last.

I thought the same thing.

As the article points out, it could work above a copper or similar surface and their web page says it needs a "special surface". They rather optimistically (if not unrealistically) hope that one day it can work on any surface.

Their wording also rather implies that it can't yet support the weight of a person.

So it sounds real, for suitable values of the word "real".

This shows someone actually riding one...

http://www.gamengadgets.com/real-life-magnetic-field-hoverboard/

BUSTED!

Not really. All that says is that he doesn't like their first video. On the other hand, it shows that the technology that Hendo claims to use works. And it ignores the other videos that show prototypes.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt -- maybe it was made before that information was available -- but no, it is new. He has just cherry picked some irrelevant information (a cheesy video) and doesn't say anything about the actual product.

Disappointing.

It is also rather dishonest to start with that obvious fake video sequence as if to imply that therefore the Hendo must be fake. (I skipped past that, so I don't know if he justifies/excuses that.)

Edited by Strange

Not really. All that says is that he doesn't like their first video. On the other hand, it shows that the technology that Hendo claims to use works. And it ignores the other videos that show prototypes.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt -- maybe it was made before that information was available -- but no, it is new. He has just cherry picked some irrelevant information (a cheesy video) and doesn't say anything about the actual product.

Disappointing.

It is also rather dishonest to start with that obvious fake video sequence as if to imply that therefore the Hendo must be fake. (I skipped past that, so I don't know if he justifies/excuses that.)

He doesn't say that it isn't real - just the opposite actually, if you watch the video. He says it's dishonest to suggest to their audience that a cheap toy they bought online is their prototype, and that they seem very phony. He says the board "is probably real, of a sort." But the claims they're making with regard its practicality, and the garage-dwelling inventor + family values routine makes it seem like a bad infomercial. Given that similar kickstarter campaigns have turned out to be scams (solar roadways anyone?) he's saying be cautious about throwing your money at Hendo people.

I wouldn't be surprised if the board never becomes publicly available, regardless of how much they raise. But I've been wrong before.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.