Should mass vanish if 0 Kelvin is actually enforced into a system?

lia

http://ltl.tkk.fi/wiki/LTL/World_record_in_low_temperatures

I doubt it the world record is 0.000 000 000 1 degrees above the absolute zero

it also says

(*) Atomic spins in ultracold magneto-optically trapped atom ensembles have been cooled to even lower temperatures in 2010.

So I would imagine no is the answer.

Edited by fiveworlds

Well, OK that's just a guess- there's no reason to think it's true; but since it's impossible to get to 0 K nobody will ever know.

It is debatable weather 0 K is in fact the lowest temperature possible we just assume it is.

http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146

Edited by fiveworlds

Why would you say that?

http://ltl.tkk.fi/wiki/LTL/World_record_in_low_temperatures

I doubt it the world record is 0.000 000 000 1 degrees above the absolute zero

it also says

So I would imagine no is the answer.

Actually, at 0 Kelvin all atoms turn into petunias.

Well, OK that's just a guess- there's no reason to think it's true; but since it's impossible to get to 0 K nobody will ever know.

It is debatable weather 0 K is in fact the lowest temperature possible we just assume it is.

http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146

As temperature is defined by the kinetic energy of particles, 'stopping' those particles will make it 0K by definition. The stopping part is the snag here. ;)

Since thr wud be no energy, and mass is form of energy, i thot the atoms wud stop all movements to their core then atom can no longer be atom.

Since thr wud be no energy, and mass is form of energy, i thot the atoms wud stop all movements to their core then atom can no longer be atom.

No Kelvin is a temperature scale much like Celsius. It is commonly thought that 0 Kelvin or absolute zero is the lowest temperature but they could have been wrong all the same it's pretty much taking the coldest measure of temperature and taking 1 away. They also don't know what will happen below 0 kelvin they have theories etc but there is no proof that the atoms stop all their movements below it.

Edited by fiveworlds

Can you phrase that with proper grammar please

first time i herd below 0K , hv u herd other news about below 0 elsewhere? you think the claims are reasonable?

Well science is ongoing process, so old thoughts about science always are changed or improved upon over hundreds of years, so its very possible it aint the limit like fiveworlds telling.

and 5worlds, I don't see why lia needs to rephrase it, as even a 10 year old can read that. if u have mental disability for not being able to make sense of partial info, you are indeed unlucky. any proper human can tell its a human by a circle and 3 lines, without needing to draw all the correct proportions and colours and shadings. nw u must get it. dnt be such hypocrite!

and 5worlds, I don't see why lia needs to rephrase it, as even a 10 year old can read that. if u have mental disability for not being able to make sense of partial info, you are indeed unlucky. any proper human can tell its a human by a circle and 3 lines, without needing to draw all the correct proportions and colours and shadings. nw u must get it. dnt be such hypocrite!

Okay let's read it slowly.

first time i herd below 0K - A herd of animals? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd . Why were you out in weather that cold?

hv u herd other news about below 0 elsewhere? - No I don't herd other news. news isn't an animal and no I wouldn't be out herding cattle when it's below 0 outside.

any proper human can tell its a human by a circle and 3 lines

I must be blind.

Edited by fiveworlds

Sorry, i meant its the first time i heard below zero Kelvin; have you heard other news about below zero Kelvin elsewhere? You think the claims are reasonable?

Temperature is a form of electromagnetic radiation so it could just be not there at all.

Do you like the bracelet?

il_570xN.615057908_miox.jpg

Edited by fiveworlds

It is a common gift to blind people. It has three lines using the braille raised circle to spell their name.

bracelets are my hobby OMG

That's nice. Do you make them with beads and string or what do you use?

Edited by fiveworlds

As temperature is defined by the kinetic energy of particles, 'stopping' those particles will make it 0K by definition. The stopping part is the snag here. ;)

Nope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

No Kelvin is a temperature scale much like Celsius. It is commonly thought that 0 Kelvin or absolute zero is the lowest temperature but they could have been wrong all the same it's pretty much taking the coldest measure of temperature and taking 1 away. They also don't know what will happen below 0 kelvin they have theories etc but there is no proof that the atoms stop all their movements below it.

Nope, it's an absolute scale . Celsius is not. That's why temperatures are given in degrees Celsius but not in degrees kelvin.

The bit about the braile bracelets is probably the best bit here

Nope, it's an absolute scale . Celsius is not. That's why temperatures are given in degrees Celsius but not in degrees kelvin.

1 Celsius = 274.15 Kelvin

I said before that this was like taking the smallest temperature possible and adding 1.

Edited by fiveworlds

Temperature is a measure of energy. QM doesn't allow for exactly zero energy.

The best theory we have for the emergent property of mass is Electroweak symmetry breaking via the Higgs mechanism at about 250 GeV. Above this energy/temperature symmetry would again hold and mass should vanish.

This is still brand new science and I'm at best, an amateur in the field. AJB might be able to shed some light on the subject.