How can I find a job in chemistry field?

chemicalman

Ive graduated a bachelor degree in chemistry from an ordinary university in Turkey in 2012. So i live in a city which has low chemical company portfolio.

But I can go another big cities which are higher chemical company profiles and job opportunities and so on.
And I did some job interviews on chemical companies that they are in polymer, water treatment station, pharmaceutical, mining and also painting. But nowhere called me after that. I did as best as I can in these interviews. Only i couldnt answer to questions about chemical structure and some chemical equipments.I think that doesnt matter. So , whats the wrong about me? Why they wont call me again? and to say "yes, we accept you". There are 2 years already passed from my graduation.
I would like to do process chemistry career rather than other routine analysis jobs currently in chemistry field as I mentioned of this info.
But no process chemist nor chemist job that i cant find. I dont know why but I am seeking to educate myself how other chemists find jobs.
Now I do a carrying job(coolie)in a glassware storage , i am carrying chairs, tables, basins and other glassware plastics from storage to truck.
This job is not for my degree, but i do it for money.
So whats the interview success methods that you have already did before and accepted by boss? Tell me...
Edited by chemicalman

I'd recommend reading up about the kind of chemistry and equipment involved in the job. You say not being able to answer there questions doesn't matter, it really does. I wouldn't employ someone who couldn't especially of there was an option of someone who could. You are there to sell yourself and your skill set, failing to answer question on the subject of the job you are applying for will certainly not do that.

A general CV is also not the best option, I have a 4 page CV that I edit down to 2 pages with new into text every time I use it. This includes publications, my PhD thesis description etc...

Oh it's also easier to get a job once you already have one. Especially on something like chemistry, after about 3 years after your degree with no experience you'll you'll find it even harder.

OP,

As Klaynos pointed out, not being able to answer questions about theory or equipment DOES matter. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know how to use a saw? Or didn't know pine from cedar?

What are your strengths? If you are not a strong spectroscopist you shouldn't be applying for analytical work. Not everyone is well suited for every job. For example, I would feel right at home in front of an infrared spectrometer in a materials lab but would probably be fired as an idiot trying to do enzyme target screening in a drug discovery lab.

If you tell me what you know, maybe myself and other working chemists here can direct you accordingly.

OP,

As Klaynos pointed out, not being able to answer questions about theory or equipment DOES matter. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know how to use a saw? Or didn't know pine from cedar?

What are your strengths? If you are not a strong spectroscopist you shouldn't be applying for analytical work. Not everyone is well suited for every job. For example, I would feel right at home in front of an infrared spectrometer in a materials lab but would probably be fired as an idiot trying to do enzyme target screening in a drug discovery lab.

If you tell me what you know, maybe myself and other working chemists here can direct you accordingly.

I am good at computer, science reading/writing, web design and intonality.Those are not related to chemical and chemistry , i know but I didnt spend much time on the university chemistry lab because of too many students were there and you couldnt use equipments as it should be like that.

So, what would you prefer to me?

Should i go for master degree in chem. or different field?

Or try to decide to find a job in different area than chemistry? But which area?

Also i am only looking for a job in Turkey. Because i dont have much money and visa to get outside of the country . Also i dont believe the foreign country's company's identify my chemistry degree as a low reputation uni in a low reputation country.

You are right about your thoughts i know but what is the escape-way of being newbie in chemical area; nobody wants to hire me and nobody wants to give a job for non-experienced chemist, i know . But how can non-experienced chemist find a job?

I am studying chemical lab. instructions about company's chemical area before going to interviews.

I also research and read much more articles about chemistry on internet.

But unfortunately job market is very low for chemistry area.

If i could have been a civil engineer, i would have been find a job easily but with chemistry degree you cant...

Your problem is not isolated in Turkey nor just for the subject of chemistry. Many graduates of STEM subjects fail to find worthy jobs. I have no idea what you can do other than keep trying. But remember you are not alone.

Your problem is not isolated in Turkey nor just for the subject of chemistry. Many graduates of STEM subjects fail to find worthy jobs. I have no idea what you can do other than keep trying. But remember you are not alone.

i know Physics subjects are hardly find a job in the market too.

But what would you reccommend me to re-study another degree related to chemistry which has much more job-opportunity?

Edited by chemicalman

i know Physics subjects are hardly find a job in the market too.

But what would you reccommend me to re-study another degree related to chemistry which has much more job-opportunity?

That could be an idea, but I worry that all that would happen is that you then struggle to find a job in that sector. I think it is not easy in any STEM subject to find a job, even if people keep saying we have a shortage of graduates.

Also, there is the question of funding another degree. It maybe better, and would be seen as a step forward rather than sideways, to study for a MSc or PhD. That is not to say that your job prospects would be much better, but you would be doing something.

I see this is your first post so welcome, but I must say I am not quite sure what you are asking.

Chemical Engineers may be required in a variety of settings from simply an office to an ocean bound research vessel. Talk to associate students and discuss their long term goals maybe?

Soil Engineer, refinery, biological and bio-medical engineering, product design and development, and nano-processing, process engineering, consulting, plastics, paint, manufacturing, sugar refining, light metals, risk management are other possibilities.

I even saw one guy switch from Soil Engineering to become a Bylaw enforcement officer which is totally unrelated because he liked the Government position and the similar investigative techniques and travel made him a good candidate.

Deja Vu,

This topic is open on multiple threads, but this one seems more popular.

attn moderators... please close alternate thread here...

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/84359-is-it-possible-to-work-as-a-chem-eng-while-holding-chemistry-degree/?p=816262

My comment from there should be deleted when a mod closes it so I will copy paste into the more active thread.

Quoting me from other thread...

I see this is your first post so welcome, but I must say I am not quite sure what you are asking [Edit: Last Thread it was not as clear].

Chemical Engineers may be required in a variety of settings from simply an office to an ocean bound research vessel. Talk to associate students and discuss their long term goals maybe?

Soil Engineer, refinery, biological and bio-medical engineering, product design and development, and nano-processing, process engineering, consulting, plastics, paint, manufacturing, sugar refining, light metals, risk management are other possibilities.

I even saw one guy switch from Soil Engineering to become a Bylaw enforcement officer which is totally unrelated because he liked the Government position and the similar investigative techniques and travel made him a good candidate. Think he started around 90k/year salary

Edited by barfbag

thanks for your answer.

I think I can add another reason to yours for why I can't find a job in chemistry:

Because competition is very high in here in chemistry field.

There are almost 80 universities have 4 year and 2 year chemistry classes plus chemical engineering . It results thousands have their diploma every year or semester and they look for a job. On the other hand ; chemistry jobs are very few, rarely appears in the market. So, the chance for me is %1-%5. In my city you can only see maximum 3 or 4 chemist jobs in a year on internet.

Thats ridiculous.

I'm curious about over there is the same? Are there too much universities with lots of chemistry departments in USA or Canada? And majority of the chemistry graduates hard to find a job?? Does it similar to here?

I'm curious about over there is the same? Are there too much universities with lots of chemistry departments in USA or Canada? And majority of the chemistry graduates hard to find a job?? Does it similar to here?

It is the case in the UK for all STEM subjects.

It is the same for all STEM and for certain in North America as well in Western Europe. There are always exceptions in some specialized areas in a given time. However, once the new graduates are done, the trend may have changed (various branches of engineering have experienced this).