The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

• 3 months later...

Hi I am Elize, (she/her) I am 14 , I love science, I am quite interested in biological sciences and physical sciences. I also like solving physics problems and arithmetic problems. I am interested in the ethical debates of science and Research. I love the theories why brings up and Video essays. I also like the concept that this world is simply like a wheel were we us humans run it. With every pleasure and hardship just imagined. Its simply a tireless race till you cease to breath and a new hamster replaces you. And every trace of you erases from earth like it never even existed.

I like music too, my fav artists are Nico Collins, Elise, Rosendale, cave town, Melanie Martinez.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm Steve, and I'm a 41 year-old IT guy, though I've worked as an accountant (did double duty for a small firm running their IT and doing accounting work), and as a writer/editor for an A/V website, among other things. My scientific background, such that it is, mostly goes back to my high school and early college years, when I was a chemistry major at GWU.

As a kid, I was particularly fond of sci-fi, so naturally it followed that I had an affinity for learning about physics, and other such hard sciences. 

Writing seems to be my most useful skill; I got a promotion in my 20's working at a hospital for writing a complaint about my boss at the time 😆 I also landed the writing job at the A/V website by posting useful tidbits on their forum, which I had mostly learned by immersing myself in the science of the subject as opposed to any formal education. In some ways it was the highlight of my life; I got to interview the PhD's that are the fountainheads of knowledge in the field, play with fancy speakers, and even travel. It comes in handy in my IT work, since I try to take studious notes for every ticket I handle, and help build the knowledge base.

My weakness: trigonometry. I switched high schools and completely missed the subject 😆 That finally came back to bite me in college with multivariable calculus.

Edited by Steve81

10 hours ago, Steve81 said:

My weakness: trigonometry. I switched high schools and completely missed the subject 😆 That finally came back to bite me in college with multivariable calculus.

Generally a well mixed life/career probably with lots of interesting stories along the way.

As for trigonometry and mathematics in general, we ar estill teaching maths as a series of procedures leading to formulae that most folks then 'plug and chug'.
It follows that they need the manupilative skills to chug.

In actual fact most folks never need to do this as the outcome is already has already been worked out or in most modern times is available in the form of online calculators.

What they actually need is a simple appreciation of what the result means and what they could do with it.
This applies to calculus as well as trigonometry.
They can very quickly get the hang of sin and cos or dy/dx etc just as they can get the hang of a car accelerator, brake and clutch pedal, without all the fluffy mech eng gear and transmission theory.

Hi!

My name is Azzie, Im a writer and artist with a lifelong hyper-fixation on all things science! Funny how that didnt translate to career choices huh? 

Im always looking to expand my awareness and sharpen my knowledge and I hope to find that here. Even if I don't find that I certainly miss forums as a space, especially in the increasingly draining online spaces of today. ;~;

Some of my other interests are: music, photography, folklore, channeling my inner rodent to collect shiny things, and cooking. (Im also very fond of animals)(* ̄∇ ̄)ノ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Mark.  I'm a retired English professor who has always loved both science and science fiction.  I'm doing a bit of writing these days (it keeps me from hovering around my wife and annoying her) and because I try to get the science right in my science fiction I sometimes have questions.  It occurred to me that asking real scientists is probably a good way to get some of them answered.

Anyway, hello.  It's great to meet you all and I look forward to some interesting conversations.

2 minutes ago, Mgellis said:

Hi, I'm Mark.  I'm a retired English professor who has always loved both science and science fiction.  I'm doing a bit of writing these days (it keeps me from hovering around my wife and annoying her) and because I try to get the science right in my science fiction I sometimes have questions.  It occurred to me that asking real scientists is probably a good way to get some of them answered.

Anyway, hello.  It's great to meet you all and I look forward to some interesting conversations.

Your wife gets annoyed when you hover? Are you using some kind of blower arrangement indoors? You should switch to magnetic levitation. Welcome to the forum!

• 2 months later...

An optimistic cynic is someone who believes it is possible for things to be better, but it's practically guaranteed things won't get better.

Don't you hate it when you play with an old, unsolved science question and solve it quickly? It's true, your solution is probably wrong, but now you have to dig into it seriously. This was supposed to be for fun! When your solution looks more solid, predictive and useful every time you try to prove it wrong, you have to work on it more. Then you have to improve your understanding enough to explain it to others. If they think it might be useful, you have to write a paper, find a publisher, and defend your thesis. Don't you hate it when a lazy entertainment turns into a serious and important job?

My name is Antigone, initials A.A.P. My username (Alysdexic) is supposed to distinguish from the common pun name Lysdexic (when I found out there were and are too many), in my usage the opposite of dyslexic, but also began as a pun on Alexander the Great who never lost, and my middle name (Alexandra).

I took two years each of fýsics, kemistry, and anthropologhy and maths up to linear algebra. I grew up with a supermarket dictionary and encyclopedia set; that and teachers were my best friend. I didn't socialize with my peers. I went to college at 11 and 12, qualified for every entry level class, but left due to astigmatism [which after adult college I got rid of by pressing on my lenses, inspired by hard contacts, after toric soft and flimsy].

I became obsessed with the origin of words and how Englisc became English then Norman then Einglish. I make appeals to etýma often and will dispute improper professional or standard terms and diction; for this I'v been indefinitely blocked from Wikipedia for puttan claims of black holes in the subjunctive instead of the indicative (and many other places for the same, on other topics, usually with mass false reporting). Earlier this year I made a video that formally accused 60 "scientists" of fraud for their black hole work. The huge amount of time I spent on Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and dictionaries, and the cognitive dissonanty their nonliteral or abusive or contradictory expressions or claims gave me led to a few nervose breakdowns where I gave up on Einglish (Standard English in usual terms) and tried to reconstruct all the lost forms in a modern reflex so that absurdities of self-contradiction or categhory error are forfended. That time I had also looked at standard interpretations of scientific concepts, overdid them with proper diction and relation, identified loopholes in thermodýnamic laws, found that black holes and radiation pressure don't exist, found the weak interaction isn't elementary, and found that the field and body are identical. Many years ago I had my first online contact with members of the racist revisionist creationist cult Kristian Identity which gave me the motivation to read the two testaments in their original languages and Strong's Concordance to see whether their claims, which they took from mistranslations millennia later, held up. I then kept my own notes of passages I found contradictory with other passages; translations and context did not help, and commentaries and sermons often ignore both. The objections I found did not wane or weaken over the decade plus I'v been in debates with theists.

I'm intolerant of common illiteracy, malliteracy, and misuse and miswitth of words. If anyone cannot understand me, spend more time in dictionaries and Wikipedia, where some can pick up on the roots I browk. My spelling and ghrammatics are in refective English, Latin, and Hellènic, which sometimes autocomplete on my phone takes away if I'm in a hurry (the pathologhic need to argue is a good thing, but I can onely dictate and drive). I am generally sour and talk suchly to fulfil a need, a very deep one. If I am ever hindering the needs of other members here or anywhere, they hav not formerly expressed their needs (and ouht). Folk often meet me with rashness and, because they hav some power and I hav none but my words because I am a forever visitor, they cut me off in some way rather than talk in kind. I respect those who make an effort to understand, instead of handwave or run or flagrantly insult.

Edited by Alysdexic

15 minutes ago, Alysdexic said:

If anyone cannot understand me, spend more time in dictionaries and Wikipedia, where some can pick up on the roots I browk.

Humility would serve you well.  If someone can't understand you, putting the onus entirely on them is unreasonable when you possess the intelligence to meet them halfway with your own clarification and employment of the common parlance.  As it is, you come across as cute but a bit solipsistic. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I just wanted to say hello.

I love science, mostly evolution and ecology  and how our own lives can be explained more in terms of those alone than even psychology. I am fascinated with things like Functional responses of ecology and how they are now being used to explain things like eating dysfunction and others are using science and biology and evolution to explain things like autism  and other things we once delegated to psychology.

I will post more about those questions and am glad to read others' ideas.