Is it better to close the toilet seat before flushing to prevent bacteria from spraying onto you as you flush?

mad_scientist

Does doing this prevent the bacteria from the toilet bowl from flying off all over after one flushes the toilet?

i.e. does toilet seat block any bacteria from flying off had the seat not acted as a barrier for any bacteria to be thrown on your face as you flush?

Do you normally close the toilet seat before you flush?

What is the science showing in regards to this issue?

There will be plenty of samples of everybody's bacteria all over the toilet/bathroom area, so shutting the lid is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Closing the lid will probably actually increase your bacterial dosage because the upsplash from flushing will sprinkle on the underside of the lid and then you, or the next person, puts their fingers on the underside of the lid to lift it, coating their fingers with bacteria transported in the splash water.

Does doing this prevent the bacteria from the toilet bowl from flying off all over after one flushes the toilet?

i.e. does toilet seat block any bacteria from flying off had the seat not acted as a barrier for any bacteria to be thrown on your face as you flush?

Your question pre supposes the toilet was clean to start with. Think, flies, stench, 45C, 100% humidity.

In some foreign places outside your own home toilet seats are not obligatory. Your question could start at the toilet door if it has one, what is on the handle, is it better to open the door with a foot. On the inside and you have found a toilet with a seat, not a just hole in the floor. Do you even want to sit down or are you going to squat like the locals who normally use a hole in the floor, and would not dream of putting their holy arse onto a public toilet seat. On completing your business how do you then clean up, is there a hose pipe in the corner or a bucket full of water and a scoop. Hopefully you have a hand towel to dry your self afterwards. Towels are not supplied in many fly ridden toilets in some parts of the world where hygiene is not the same as in the west. Once having been to the toilet, like under islam you will then want to consider which hand you eat your food with.

:)

....Once having been to the toilet, like under islam you will then want to consider which hand you eat your food with.

:)

This reminds me of a witty response by William Shatner, of Star Trek fame, upon being offered a left hand in greeting: "Oh, the hand you wipe with". :)

The only instances I can remember actually closing the seat is to be able to put something on top or to stand on it.

Worrying too much about bacteria can be worse for your health than the actual bacteria :). Squatting above the seat is also worse than sitting on a dirty one.

Just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

Edited by Bender

The only instances I can remember actually closing the seat is to be able to put something on top or to stand on it.

Worrying too much about bacteria can be worse for your health than the actual bacteria :). Squatting above the seat is also worse than sitting on a dirty one.

Just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

How to wash your hands and apparently hot water is an optional extra according to a new (small)study.
Edited by geordief