The science of annoying

I'm doing a little side project to find out what we think is annoying and why we think it's annoying. Please write anything that truly annoys you in dictation form, and include the sentence prior to the annoying sentence in question. Thank you for your help and please leave some DATA!!!

Edited by Tomorrowland

!!!!!11!2!2!!"1!! DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA !!!!!!!!!11!1121!!!!24!!!!

wOt do U fiNk izz aNnoYiNG???

SUM PEOPLES HATE CAPSLOCK AND SAY ITS SHOUTING BUT I LIKE IT CUZ IT GETS MY POINT ACROSS MORE CLEARLY!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!""!"!!YEA!!!1!112"1!122!!!

Edited by DrP

Hey! I'm doing a little side project to find out what we think is annoying and why we think it's annoying. Please write anything that truly annoys you in dictation form, and include the sentence prior to the annoying sentence in question. Thank you for your help and please leave some DATA!!!

What's the point of being annoyed by anything?

Also - the request for a finalised essay ready to hand in rather than ideas that could be discussed then used is cheeky. It is worse when it is a request that the answers be sent by pm.

I was planning to keep on altering what I put in my first post by using the edit button after people had replied to it... that can be annoying too.

As for the serious science behind getting annoyed... I do not know that much about it.

As for Dimreeper's question - I see where he is coming from, but in the real world people get annoyed - even Budists, born again Christians, field mice, etc.. What is the point? I do not know - ask evolution - it is part of our nature and is natural imo.

Edited by DrP

As for Dimreeper's question - I see where he is coming from, but in the real world people get annoyed - even Budists, born again Christians, field mice, etc.. What is the point? I do not know - ask evolution - it is part of our nature and is natural imo.

Of course we do (everyone)(the plan that doesn't go to plan) expectation is part of our lives, that's where acceptance plays it's hand.

I understand where you guys are coming from, what with the "why even get annoyed", but when I find myself getting annoyed I feel that if I can explain why what they said annoyed me then I can accept that he/she probably wasn't trying to be annoying.

Edited by Tomorrowland

Why does it matter if the annoyance is deliberate?

Because you can judge people by it. People are often annoying because they need to boost their own ego by 1) being condescending; 2) spouting unsubstantiated crap; 3) repeating themselves; 4) being serious when humour is appropriate; 5) being supercilious when being serious is appropriate; 6) talking over you etc. ad infinitum

Because you can judge people by it. People are often annoying because they need to boost their own ego by 1) being condescending; 2) spouting unsubstantiated crap; 3) repeating themselves; 4) being serious when humour is appropriate; 5) being supercilious when being serious is appropriate; 6) talking over you etc. ad infinitum

That may establish why you get annoyed, but it doesn't answer my question.

Because you can judge people by it.

Hmmm... there seems to be a biblical message here.

I just find it fascinating that the way you word something could be the difference between a debate and a discussion. For instance, if DrKettin had started the post with something along the lies of "That's an interesting point. I think it's because......", then your conversation would look completely different! Maybe I'll look into that one of these days.

Also - the request for a finalised essay ready to hand in rather than ideas that could be discussed then used is cheeky.

Oh, I probably shouldn't have used dictation form, huh. I meant it like "writing the first sentence and afterwards the annoying response would be the easiest way to gather samples", not "write an entire Paragraph or else."

Oh, I probably shouldn't have used dictation form, huh. I meant it like "writing the first sentence and afterwards the annoying response would be the easiest way to gather samples", not "write an entire Paragraph or else."

It's certainly a way to avoid a sensible paragraph...

So maybe Its defensive? maybe we get annoyed when people start to change or "lie" about ( ex. have any opinion other than yours that contradicts your opinion, rendering your evidence useless) things that are part of our every day lives. This makes us want to defend what we are closest to, being annoying in turn.

My best friend tries to annoy me on a daily basis, why would I want to avoid him?

No, I meant that if somebody sets out to annoy you deliberately, you know that they are not worth knowing, and can avoid them.

In the recent years, I am the most annoyed when politician is doing exactly reverse what is good for humankind...

Post #2:

Wait, we didn't think about actions that are annoying. They wouldn't be defensive, unless you consider your personal bubble. Still, I don't think that's why actions are annoying. also, I didn't realize that we slipped past differences in wording! why is one sentence that expresses an idea more annoying than another? this can't be explained by my previous theory, so we'll need to tweak some of the ideas.

Another good Question: Why can things that are obviously intended to be nice taken as rude and annoying?

Another good Question: Why can things that are obviously intended to be nice taken as rude and annoying?

Suppose you have made it absolutely clear to somebody that your preference in music is Mozart, and on your birthday they give you a CD of Heavy Metal music. This (to me) would be extremely annoying because 1) they have wasted some money and 2) they are too stupid, or even worse, they don't really care about what matters to you.

Suppose you have made it absolutely clear to somebody that your preference in music is Mozart, and on your birthday they give you a CD of Heavy Metal music. This (to me) would be extremely annoying because 1) they have wasted some money and 2) they are too stupid, or even worse, they don't really care about what matters to you.

Suppose they thought you may learn something?

Who then has wasted, what?

Suppose they thought you may learn something?

Who then has wasted, what?

I'm assuming that they know that you have tried Heavy Metal and found it seriously wanting, and that you are mature enough to know what you like and what you don't like. If they don't recognise that, it is seriously annoying.

What the hell could you learn from heavy metal, other than some people have absolutely no musical taste? :P

I'm assuming that they know that you have tried Heavy Metal and found it seriously wanting, and that you are mature enough to know what you like and what you don't like. If they don't recognise that, it is seriously annoying.

What the hell could you learn from heavy metal, other than some people have absolutely no musical taste? :P

Heavy metal is about enjoying being visceral and getting massaged by the sound as a physical experience. Sometimes I want to just flatline and not think. AJB is a great fan of that genre and he likes it harder than me. A lot of nerds I've known like it. I like Mozart too. I don't use intellectuality or complexity as a metric to judge music.