Stabbing Deaths in Japan...

Moontanman

15 people killed and 45 others wounded by a knife wielding man in a care facility for disabled people in Japan.

In country with rather tough gun laws does this mean that ultimately crazies cannot be controlled by gun control?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/26/national/crime-legal/man-arrested-fatally-stabbing-15-people-wounding-45-kanagawa-facility-disabled-nhk/#.V5amQfkrKM8

I am looking for the good guy with a gun argument to rear up even taller than it already has. Does this act have any relevancy to the gun control argument?

Are these acts increasing with frequency or is the current upswing an artifact of reporting?

It is most certainly the latter. It's a perception problem, not a trend problem. Most likely the result of the 24-HR news cycle and social media. It's all we see in our feeds and on the television and it lacks context.

JjSL8xM.png

That said, there does seem to be a surge in mass murders for 2016, but not by a ton against previous years and it's still a tiny effect overall against the background of other crime and gun issues.

2974028-3892963806-biali.png

Edited by iNow

It is most certainly the latter. It's a perception problem, not a trend problem. Most likely the result of the 24-HR news cycle and social media. It's all we see in our feeds and on the television and it lacks context.

JjSL8xM.png

That said, there does seem to be a surge in mass murders for 2016, but not by a ton against previous years and it's still a tiny effect overall against the background of other crime and gun issues.

2974028-3892963806-biali.png

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder, I almost feel like I live in a protective bubble. I see so much crap across all information streams it's nice to be assured The world isn't going to hell in a hand basket...

Too often the facts don't support the narrative.

Too often opinions are presented as better than evidence.

Too often our friends and neighbors don't care.

Our world is by no means perfect and an immense amount of work remains to be done to make it better, but my no means are we trapped inside the type of crumbling dystopian hellscape so many news channels and internet sites and Cleveland conventions would have you believe.

In country with rather tough gun laws does this mean that ultimately crazies cannot be controlled by gun control?

Has anyone actually claimed this? Or have they said something like tighter gun control will reduce the accessibility of leathal weapons to people who have mental ills?

Also note that this is by far the worse crime of this kind in Japan for decades.

So, if you are asking if tighter gun laws will stop all mass killing, then the answer is no. People will find illegal guns or use other weapons. However, the rate of these crimes is lowered by tighter gun control in general.

Even the UK has some gun crimes and shootings - but the few we get make headlines.

Crazies are an unavoidable feature of life but guns are not. No, they can't be controlled with gun llaws but the damage they inflict can be lessened by keeping the two apart. Think of the damage that person would have inflicted had he had a gun.

Does this act have any relevancy to the gun control argument?

As there were no guns involved, it is hard to see how.

This event is particularly newsworthy because this sort of thing [almost] never happens in Japan.

Has anyone actually claimed this? Or have they said something like tighter gun control will reduce the accessibility of leathal weapons to people who have mental ills?

Also note that this is by far the worse crime of this kind in Japan for decades.

So, if you are asking if tighter gun laws will stop all mass killing, then the answer is no. People will find illegal guns or use other weapons. However, the rate of these crimes is lowered by tighter gun control in general.

Even the UK has some gun crimes and shootings - but the few we get make headlines.

As there were no guns involved, it is hard to see how.

This event is particularly newsworthy because this sort of thing [almost] never happens in Japan.

To provide details - the two most deadly mass attacks of this sort were the Aum Shinriko Sarin Attacks in 1995 and these stabbings claiming 12 and 19 lives respectively. These horrific crimes happen 'only' about once a decade in Japan - although by my reckoning 4 since/including 1995 Sarin Subway Attack

Crazies are an unavoidable feature of life but guns are not. No, they can't be controlled with gun llaws but the damage they inflict can be lessened by keeping the two apart. Think of the damage that person would have inflicted had he had a gun.

I could make an argument that if had been using a gun he would have been found and stopped due to the noise of gun fire. I won't because it is very possible there was no one there to stop him but the police would have called sooner and maybe some lives would have been saved. I've heard it often repeated that a determined man is more dangerous at close range with a knife than a man with a hand gun..

I could make an argument that if had been using a gun he would have been found and stopped due to the noise of gun fire. I won't because it is very possible there was no one there to stop him but the police would have called sooner and maybe some lives would have been saved. I've heard it often repeated that a determined man is more dangerous at close range with a knife than a man with a hand gun..

These people were disabled; sitting ducks.

I don't know about Japan, but the UK, for example, also has fairly strict knife laws.

These people were disabled; sitting ducks.

This is true and a knife makes the deaths much more personal and messy. It takes a particular form of crazy to do something that malevolent... I still a determined man with a simple pocket knife could do far more damage in a crowded place like a mall than most would think to me a knife is more of a terror weapon than a gun, in unarmed crowded space it would a mad house of carnage...

This is true and a knife makes the deaths much more personal and messy. It takes a particular form of crazy to do something that malevolent... I still a determined man with a simple pocket knife could do far more damage in a crowded place like a mall than most would think to me a knife is more of a terror weapon than a gun, in unarmed crowded space it would a mad house of carnage...

I'd rather face a knife than a gun

I'd rather face a knife than a gun

It depends for me, if someone is going to attack me and I know, then a knife is preferable to a gun, but if I don't know he is coming death by knife is painful and often just slow enough to make you really suffer, that is why it's usually considered personal or sadistic to kill with a knife.

As you might guess I have been a carrying member of knife nuts my whole life. A cub scout knife when i was 8, dangerous thing, it had no built in safety at all cut my fingers many times... When i hunted a carried a bowie knife my grandfather gave it to me, a case xx, I used it to clean and cut up game. I now have a folding lock back Buck Knife with a 5.5 inch blade...

I have never really thought about using it as a weapon but if held in my fist it is heavy enough to make a punch really hurt... To me a knife is a tool, I feel naked without it, about like my hat, I just don't feel dressed without it.. I also carry a multitool in my car, a snatch rope, a empty gas can, jumper cables, and fix a flat... I was also a scout...