Hang in There: The 25-Year Wait for Immortality

MolecularMan14

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go to Mars, find out there was once life, then we will have our answer, and then we can nuke the planet.

It's too hot+dry for life to live there.

If it were hot and wet life could exist

if it were moderate and dry, life could still live there

but it's hot and dry, with a very messed up atomosphere.

I say we expand as a species, and spread ourselves to the stars.

It's too hot+dry for life to live there.

If it were hot and wet life could exist

if it were moderate and dry' date=' life could still live there

but it's hot and dry, with a very messed up atomosphere.

[/quote'] Excuse me, but Mars is very cold. Freezing all year round. Chilly, Burr. Ask the Penguin.

http://www-k12.atmos.washington.edu/k12/resources/mars_data-information/temperature_overview.html

Not necessarily. Mars is too cold for most Earthling life, and that's only because it evolved here, with Earthling conditions. Even so, there are organims here that could survive there. Life will be adapted to survive on the planet it evolved on. What we don't know is the conditions necessary for life to evolve. All we know are the conditions necessary for Earthling life to survive.

Excuse me' date=' but Mars is very cold. Freezing all year round. Chilly, [i']Burr[/i]. Ask the Penguin.

http://www-k12.atmos.washington.edu/k12/resources/mars_data-information/temperature_overview.html

Personally, I have never been to Mars, but I here it is not very cold all year long. I think it reaches temperatures around -25 to -30 during summer. Now that's hot. :D

Maybe life can live there, but is it life we should respect? I know I can respect alot of things, but is it worth not establishing Earth life, versus Marsian life?
This sort of thinking epitomizes everything that's ever been wrong with humanity :-(. It doesn't matter that they're not Earth life. They evolved there, therefore it's their planet (or moon, or whatever). If you want to claim a lifeless world, go ahead. Haven't you seen Independence Day? It's the same thing, but this time, the exobacteria are us, and we're the gnarly alien monsters. Just uglier. :embarass:

What if something's alive on Europa? Even Mars. There's no way in Hell we should disrupt another living world like we did ours. Even if all there is are exo-monerans or exo-protists.

Terraforming uninhabited planets would be a solution, as long as we're being hypothetical ;)

Perfectly acceptable, as I kinda stated in a subsequent post. Moons too, as long as a sentient species didn't inhabit the planet (which would give them ownership rights). I also say that if a sentient species live somewhere in the system, they get first dibs on anything in that system.

people tell me that Im crazy for wanting to live forever. "The world would fall into chaos" "World Wars" "All around $hit going down"...ect.

I cant really understand my fascination with it, but it seems so appealing in my mind. I would love to make it a thousand years or more, not only to observe the evolution of society, but to (like AzurePhoenix said) continue theorizing, inventing and so on. I'm well on my way of changing the world now, but imagine if I had a thousand years.

I would pay the price to have the prodecure, but I remain skeptical of it's efficiency (even though it sounds awesome) :)

From reading this topic, I have reached the following conclusions:

1. Eternal longevity will become an elitist system comprised of the upper elite thats not necessarily based on genetics. (Which is quite detrimental to the health of our gene pool)

2. The population will become highly crowded, thus breeding far more intraspecific competition.

3. Those who do obtain eternal longevity would literally stop evolving unless we can somehow change modified post-gametic cell's DNA at a large amount.

4. Intelligence comes partially comes from the environment for the most part, I can't imagine genes to account for more than 1% of someone's intelligence if we were all the same species.

5. Colonizing other planets would not require either a major change in the planet's atmosphere, or a major genetic change to allow us to be able to withstand the extremely different atmosphere. And to do that, it would require us to start colonizing planets with the Producers first, so that they can form a hospitable environment for us to colonize.

My 2 cents

4. Intelligence comes partially comes from the environment for the most part, I can't imagine genes to account for more than 1% of someone's intelligence if we were all the same species.

With the usual caveat about IQ test accuracy, IQ is well over 50% heritable, iirc. Actual intelligence might be even more heritable.

Mokele

of course most identical twins share a similar environment but I think the largest IQ difference between identical twins ever recorded was around 19 points (and the norm being much closer). That said, it's clear that the environment has a huge impact and without a proper environment, people will never come near their maximum potential IQ.

Only the greatest minds should be given the chance. Imagine if Einstein were still around to keep learning, theorizing, and helping out with every new step forward in physics.

GREATEST MINDS ONLY?!?!

AS IF!!! I WANNA BE IMMORTAL, I WANNA BE IMMORTAL. PICK ME!!! PICK ME!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

isnt immortality or anything near that practically impossible because your average heart BPM goes down by one each year, so eventually the heart of a person would beat less than once a minute, and the person woul be dead

Only the greatest minds should be given the chance. Imagine if Einstein were still around to keep learning' date=' theorizing, and helping out with every new step forward in physics.[/quote']GREATEST MINDS ONLY?!?!

AS IF!!! I WANNA BE IMMORTAL, I WANNA BE IMMORTAL. PICK ME!!! PICK ME!!!!

Did I mention that whereas the most intelligent should be given immortality, the most obnoxious should be dragged out into the street and deep-fried with high intensity Tazers?

Immortality would be sweet... because then overpopulation would occur... and that would force space exploration and colonization! Plus I'd get to live forever and watch technology grow and join in on it :). It wouldn't be a long lonely life because everyone around you would be living a long time so it would seem normal.

But as it's been said, evolution would crawl to a standstill. And we already are overpopulated; do you see many Martian colonies?

And many science fiction fantasies as well as a few Gameboy Games have shown us without question that immortality eventually leads to the entropy of the desire to continue to succeed or push ahead with any real vitality, thereby undermining the possibility of exciting new sciences. Death is necessary, giving room to a new generation of people with the energy and will to explore new fronts, break new boundaries, and risk failure for glory.

And, you can be certain that over the years family and friends would be slowly whittled away by everyday freak accidents.