About gravity and measuring of quantum uncertainty

kos

So we have the discovery of gravitational waves confirmed.

Does it mean that if we have sophisticated measuring stuff and highly advanced equipment we can perform unique accurate imaging of any object ( atom by atom in details ) by the signatures that any of its component parts rest in spacetime lattice in terms of gravitational wave ?

We have managed to observe the gravitational waves caused by two massive black holes merging (admittedly a long distance away) so I think we are a long way from observing the gravitational effects of individual atoms. There are easier ways to observer their behaviour.

So we have the discovery of gravitational waves confirmed.

Does it mean that if we have sophisticated measuring stuff and highly advanced equipment we can perform unique accurate imaging of any object ( atom by atom in details ) by the signatures that any of its component parts rest in spacetime lattice in terms of gravitational wave ?

If we could, we never would have measured the black holes merging, since the signal would have been drowned out.

We have managed to observe the gravitational waves caused by two massive black holes merging (admittedly a long distance away) so I think we are a long way from observing the gravitational effects of individual atoms. There are easier ways to observer their behaviour.

With the amount of energy those waves gave off I think we can be pretty glad we weren't observing up close and personal :) But you are dead right - gravity is realm of the macroscopic and cosmologically huge. I suppose with a working theory of quantum gravity we might one day be able to talk about things like this but until then any emprical results would be hugely blotted out by a heartbeat of a mouse on another continent

With the amount of energy those waves gave off I think we can be pretty glad we weren't observing up close and personal :)

Makes you wonder what the effect would be if it happened nearby. Presumably massive shaking like a global earthquake.

• 2 weeks later...