Verbal tics

These are not "tics" (that suggests some form of involuntary speech, as in Tourette's syndrome). They are verbal fillers and play an important role in language.

All speech is, necessarily, related to respiration. I am not aware of any connection to heart rate (and can't imagine why there should be one). There have been some studies looking at the use of different fillers across age groups, gender, educational level, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_%28linguistics%29

These are not "tics" (that suggests some form of involuntary speech, as in Tourette's syndrome). They are verbal fillers and play an important role in language.

All speech is, necessarily, related to respiration. I am not aware of any connection to heart rate (and can't imagine why there should be one). There have been some studies looking at the use of different fillers across age groups, gender, educational level, etc.

I guess because respiration is tied to heart rate.

I guess because respiration is tied to heart rate.

In what way? I suppose if you take a lot of exercise, both will increase. On the other hand, we have direct control over our breathing but not our heart rate. Speech would be more difficult if we couldn't control our breathing. It would be quite interesting, I suppose: we would have to time our utterances to match exhalation. It would probably lead to an absence of long words and some interesting sentence structures.

As it is, neither have any direct effect on speech production, that I am aware of.

It is plausible that both fillers and tics represent the gap between cerebration and vocalization, a kind of spastic state.

lol - is that intellectual snobbery?...... "you know?" is a question... a punctuation in speech that is asking the listener to confirm that they are following the conversation. I don't think it is spaticated. Ya know? "I mean", is there to emphasise that the person is about to say something that they have an opinion on.

It is easy to say that people that use language like this are lazy or stupid (or spastic)... but it depends on their social upbringing, just because someone sounds common, has an accent and uses language 'wrongly' doesn't make them stupid or lazy or bad... it is how they have been taught to speak or what they have picked up from what others around them have shown them. We learn by experience.

lol - is that intellectual snobbery?...... "you know?" is a question... a punctuation in speech that is asking the listener to confirm that they are following the conversation. I don't think it is spaticated. Ya know? "I mean", is there to emphasise that the person is about to say something that they have an opinion on.

It is easy to say that people that use language like this are lazy or stupid (or spastic)... but it depends on their social upbringing, just because someone sounds common, has an accent and uses language 'wrongly' doesn't make them stupid or lazy or bad... it is how they have been taught to speak or what they have picked up from what others around them have shown them. We learn by experience.

If I may take liberties, I surmise that tics are the vocal equivalent of biting the finger nails or picking the nose.... each a nervous indicator :wacko: