The Nemesis of Science

B. John Jones

If science purports to assist humankind, it must address the nemesis of most human beings. At the end of the road we die. None live beyond the years of 120.

Following are the posted rules for the Speculations Forum:

• Speculations must be backed up by evidence or some sort of proof. If your speculation is untestable, or you don't give us evidence (or a prediction that is testable), your thread will be moved to the Trash Can. If you expect any scientific input, you need to provide a case that science can measure.
  • Be civil. As wrong as someone might be, there is no reason to insult them, and there's no reason to get angry if someone points out the flaws in your theory, either.
  • Keep it in the Speculations forum. Don't try to use your pet theory to answer questions in the mainstream science forums, and don't hijack other threads to advertise your new theory.

The claim that every person dies by the age of 120 has been tested, and proven resolutely, for every human being born before 1896 (except those born in very ancient times). This test is ongoing, and will not cease. I do believe this is measurable for science.

This shouldn't be insulting to anyone, it's not intended to be. Nor should any of my statements contained here.

There will be no advertisements.

If I breach any of these rules in this discussion, I will understand it being locked.

----------

It has been said elsewhere that Science, not faith in God, is more real--because it works. If it works so well, why do we still die? I mean it seems simple. We can figure out a way to get to the moon and calculate activities near distant stars, create weapons of mass destruction, even invent these crazy little devices we all carry around in our pockets that perform fantastic feats of finger frought gymnastics, but are so afraid of death, we're afraid even to address it, let alone topple it. So who will step up? Or indeed, has someone already stepped down, and up?

Edited by B. John Jones

I am not sure what the discussions is supposed to be about, however the oldest verified person (Jeanne Calment) was 122 years when she died. There is a large science community dedicated to understand the process of aging and while progress has been made it is not clear whether it is reversible, considering that it is so closely tied to general metabolism and cell cycle control. I am also not sure what you mean with the being afraid part.

so what is the speculation? Are you saying it is impossible for a human to live beyond 120 years of age?

It's already been determined over history that people time and again arrive at the age of 120, but not beyond. No, my speculation is that God trumps death. And the evidence is in the written testimonies of the eye-witnesses of Jesus' baptism, life, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension; followed by the written testimony, letters and other documentation about the birth and development of the church, again by eye-witnesses.