Dropping the religious section

Newtonian

I have posted this to ask opinion of others.Im finding it difficult to accept that the religious section merits its inclusion in the science forum.

Many other science forums have dropped this section why dont we.

Its apparent the religious section is only attracting atheist (not very nice comments),which serves no purpose but to cause trouble.

If people stuck with the format Ie: im only interested in math so i post in that section.They would be no problem.

But many religious members would like to air their views or questions in the relevent thread.Instead of this happening,the same old faces are infiltrating the threads,with the same crap.

Faith isnt about proving anything.Many whom are religious would enjoy this section discussing the subject.But its spoiled by idiots so i would like to request its removal based on members opinion.

editremoved BS.sorry for any offence caused

Hello,

I would just like to say I enjoy this section very much. I don't often post in it but I enjoy reading the viewpoints of a wide variety of people. For me, part of what sustains my interest in a forum is getting to know the people who post there. This part of the forum allows me to have a fuller picture of the people here. I think it contributes to a dynamic community. It would be boring if we all thought alike, wouldn't it?

Regards,

Coral

I have posted this to ask opinion of others.Im finding it difficult to accept that the religious section merits its inclusion in the science forum.

Many other science forums have dropped this section why dont we.

Why should we? Its under "Other topics"' date=' and your post count won't go up by posting there. Other forums may not have it, but so what? I find it rather enjoyable to have an all-purpose forum where I can not only discuss science, but other unrelated topics as well.

Its apparent the religious section is only attracting atheist bullshit,which serves no purpose but to cause trouble.

Atheists are entitled to their opinions as well. I personally take offense to you labeling everything an ahteist says about religion as "bullshit". Our opinions are just as valid as yours, so don't be a hatemonger.

If people stuck with the format Ie: im only interested in math so i post in that section.They would be no problem.

No one is twisting anyone's arm to not simply do this.

But many religious members would like to air their views or questions in the relevent thread. Instead of this happening,the same old faces are infiltrating the threads,with the same crap.

The same could be said for theists and their arguments (although I don't automatically assume everything they say is crap, like you do about atheist opinions)

Faith isnt about proving anything.Many whom are religious would enjoy this section discussing the subject.But its spoiled by idiots so i would like to request its removal based on members opinion.

I agree with you about faith, but so far, the only member with this opinion is you. Basically you want the religion forum removed because you don't like atheists posting there. Nice. Good luck to ya buddy. If you want to petition the admins, a better idea would be to post a poll under the "suggestions" forum.

There is a close relationship between religion and science, most science was once thought long ago to only be "Holy" power or something of that sort. There is a line between science and religion, I find it nice to disscuss where that line is, and find each other's opinions on the subject.

"But many religious members would like to air their views or questions in the relevent thread. Instead of this happening,the same old faces are infiltrating the threads,with the same crap."

The same could be said for theists and their arguments (although I don't automatically assume everything they say is crap, like you do about atheist opinions)

Both groups think that the other's opinion is crap. Theists want to say what they believe and want people to beleive them, but they don't want any scientific talk about it, and athiest want to tell them that they are wrong and get very defensive if a theist says anything not scientificly proven.

I'm learning new stuff from it.

it seems to drive many events in the world we live in.

when I have enough I just don't look.

I am learning too. I especially like learning the religious and spiritual beliefs of other cultures. I think that, long term, this sort of exchange creates greater understanding and tolerance in the world.

"God" knows that we need more of that.

Both groups think that the other's opinion is crap. Theists want to say what they believe and want people to beleive them' date=' but they don't want any scientific talk about it, and athiest want to tell them that they are wrong and get very defensive if a theist says anything not scientificly proven.[/quote']

I would never say, that someone else's opinion is crap! I might ask them to explain an idea, if I don't understand it, I might say I don't agree with someone, but that doesn't mean I don't value their opinion.

It's amazing how different my religious views are now, then before I started posting in the religion section. It has shaped me in many ways, and I have grown, I think for the better.

If we get rid of it, I for one, would be quite upset.

But many religious members would like to air their views or questions in the relevent thread.Instead of this happening' date='the same old faces are infiltrating the threads,with the same crap.[/quote']

The reason why this is happening is because people keep posting the same threads! Look how many polls there are about God and people's beliefs right now. I think there at least 4, going on at the same time. These threads are about practically the same thing, so of course people will be debating the same things.

I say a mod deletes a few of these repeat threads, rather then get rid of the whole section!

Hellbender perhaps i wasnt clear.I didnt mean to infer atheist people always talk BS.

When people are discussing religion or their religious denomination in the relevent thread,do you not find it counter productive that a member who has no belief in a god whatsoever should post in the religious thread "bah god doesnt exist,no need for a god prove it you can't,prove it prove it..."

Why would an atheist want to post in a religious thread anyway? neither party is going to be converted,it appears to me the only intention is to antagonise.

This is why the section has been dropped from other forums.

Both groups think that the other's opinion is crap.

I didn't want people to think this is how I feel. I just wanted to point out that each viewpoint's adhereants are as entitle to express themselves as the other. Although I do not believe in the same things as theists, I recognize that they are as entitled to their opinion and worldview as I am. I will defend myself and my atheism when necessary, but do not think thiests are full of crap or have the wrong opinion, but I recognize that they simply have an opinion or beliefs which I do not share.

Theist want to say what they believe and want people to beleive them, but they don't want any scientific talk about it, and athiest want to tell them that they are wrong and get very defensive if a theist says anything not scientificly proven.

This may be true in some cases, but as I said, I am more than willing to let everyone have their own opinions. Faith is faith and science is science. As long as they stay seperate, and both sides of the spectrum recognize this, then there shouldn't be any conflict of this sort. But since all of us here are scientifically inclined, this conflict is to inevitably result every once in a while.

I will defend myself and my atheism when necessary' date=' but do not think thiests are full of crap or have the wrong opinion, but I recognize that they simply have an opinion or beliefs which I do not share.

[/quote']

It is the defense that riles some. Maybe they think you are the devil's spawn. :D You would be more pleasing no doubt if you defended less effectively.

This may be true in some cases' date=' but as I said, [u']I[/u] am more than willing to let everyone have their own opinions. Faith is faith and science is science. As long as they stay seperate, and both sides of the spectrum recognize this, then there shouldn't be any conflict of this sort. But since all of us here are scientifically inclined, this conflict is to inevitably result every once in a while.

And there's nothing wrong with this confict happening...Only a few arguments turn nasty...most people are civil when discussing religion, it's just that the people who take it too far stand out more then others.

There's nothing wrong with a healthy discussion...it promotes tolerance. I use myself as a case example.

Hellbender perhaps i wasnt clear.I didnt mean to infer atheist people always talk BS.

Its apparent the religious section is only attracting atheist bullshit

sorry if I lept to conclusions then....

When people are discussing religion or their religious denomination in the relevent thread,do you not find it counter productive that a member who has no belief in a god whatsoever should post in the religious thread "bah god doesnt exist,no need for a god prove it you can't,prove it prove it..."

On the contrary, all of the recent threads in the religion forum have been polls asking people their opinions, i.e. "do you believe in god", "what god do you believe in", etc. And "no god" is always one of the options. Atheist opinions are therefore certainly not unwelcome. Past threads about the bible or god, you will notice, contain no posts (from me anyways) butting in to simply say "why are you guys talking about this, there is no god..." or something to that effect. That would be silly, IMO. I don't believe in what they are talking about, so I don't offer my opinion. But I agree with you, the word "proof" has no place in a discussion about faith, and you will see that I recently humorously heckled a member for saying as much.

Why would an atheist want to post in a religious thread anyway? neither party is going to be converted,it appears to me the only intention is to antagonise.

This is why the section has been dropped from other forums.

Again, if the thread is asking people for opinions about religion, atheists have every right to participate. Maybe in some cases they do want to antagonize, but I haven't noticed any overt attempts to do so.

Okay, I didn't make it sound a little worse than it was. It's more like two people talking that think completely differently. Some think very analytically, some base things on faith. In a discussion between the two the one will use facts and the other will use faith, and no one really understands the other, and frustration ensues.

My problems as an early member of the Science Forums with regard to the Religious section were that I didn't know that much about science or even my own religion. I didn’t know how other people thought, I thought that everyone thought like me.

So I think the main problem would be that religious people have to understand that that other people base everything on facts, that is something that I didn't understand at first. I wanted to tell everyone that the earth was not billions of years old, and that goo can't turn into people (long story) but I didn't use any supports or facts. I jus said: this is what I think, and someone would ask: well, why? And I became frustrated.

I think that there is a barrier between the two types of people, and it makes people frustrated.

The only problems you really encounter in a religious discussion/debate is when one member believes that he can change the religious opinion of another members. Frankly, this cannot happen. There is no way that a person who believes in the religion will suddenly abandon it because of what someone says. There is also no way that someone who is athiest is suddenly going to believe in god, etc. because of what someone says. If everybody who goes into a religious thread understands that, then no conflicts exist. The conflicts arise when members try and change other people's opinion, or force their opinion onto others.

If peoples religious views never changed then evangelism wouldn't be nearly as successful as has been throughout history, atheism wouldn't have grown as it has over the last generation or two.

If people want to have intelligent theological discussions then they certainly can in the religion section. The problem is that people just go about justifying their beliefs rather than exploring them.

When people are discussing religion or their religious denomination in the relevent thread' date='do you not find it counter productive that a member who has no belief in a god whatsoever should post in the religious thread "bah god doesnt exist,no need for a god prove it you can't,prove it prove it..."

This is why the section has been dropped from other forums.[/quote']

maybe the purpose is to discuss?

thats when one person presents their views and thoughts on a subject and then the next person says what they think about that, which parts they agree with, and which parts they think are wrong.

leads to a less ignorant society.