Dropping the religious section

Newtonian

I say keep the Religion section. I like to read other peoples opinions. This is how we all keep open minds. Science has alot to do with religion. Sounds to me like someone had their feelings hurt, or they read something that screwed with their way of thinking and now they want it gone. Thats just rediculous.

as long as people bare in mind that its a forum for discussing religion and philosophy, and not for preaching religion and philosophy, it should be ok... the main problems iv seen in there are from people who come in and only post in the religiouse forum, maybe if the forum was only open to people who had, say, made at least 30 posts in the main scientific forums, we'd have less wankers coming in and posting about how were all satanists for believing in evolution.

as long as people bare in mind that its a forum for discussing religion and philosophy, and not for preaching religion and philosophy, it should be ok... the main problems iv seen in there are from people who come in and only[/b'] post in the religiouse forum, maybe if the forum was only open to people who had, say, made at least 30 posts in the main scientific forums, we'd have less wankers coming in and posting about how were all satanists for believing in evolution.

Dak, I think that is an excellent idea. :)

I am learning too. I especially like learning the religious and spiritual beliefs of other cultures. I think that, long term, this sort of exchange creates greater understanding and tolerance in the world.

Well, shalom, amen and halleluiah to that, I only hope that you are right. But for some, I have my doubts.

Sadly though, I have seen posts on both religious and non-religious forums where the poster advocates just the opposite, and believes that tolerance is something to be shunned and not practiced and actually promote intolerance of any position but their own. Have you ever heard Msr Pat Robertson's "I don't have to like 'em or work with 'em" rhetoric ?

In any case, I think that a religious forum should be kept, further that there shouldn't be any restrictions on it. I believe this for just the reasons I bring up in my last paragraph.

What I'm trying to say (and perhaps doing it not so very well) is that we need to see and realize that there are in fact many followers of people like Robertson, and we need to get their views and opinions out in the light of day and expose it for what it is. What we do not need is for this type of thinking (promotion of intolerance) to go underground or to become undiscussed.

I'm not suggesting that we are going to change such a person's opinion. I highly doubt that is probable or likely. But maybe, just maybe some else is reading the forum who is undecided and is being solicited by those types reads a cogent rebuttal of such intolerance. Perhaps that then keeps them them from becoming one of them.

Religious forums almost always generate conflict of some kind, especially when the membership is open to more than just the choir.

as long as people bare in mind that its a forum for discussing religion and philosophy, and not for preaching religion and philosophy, it should be ok... the main problems iv seen in there are from people who come in and only post in the religiouse forum, maybe if the forum was only open to people who had, say, made at least 30 posts in the main scientific forums, we'd have less wankers coming in and posting about how were all satanists for believing in evolution.
We could aslo make posts in that forum not count to your total post count.

Dak, I think that is an excellent idea. :)

Except that the wankers don't make those posts in the religion forum; they make them in the evolution forum.

Blike and I decided a course of action already. It's all in hand. Stop worrying about it everyone.

if i may make a suggestion:

it might be worth while creating an entire sub-forum for the issue of evolution v creationism. the subject seems to pop up in the most random plases, in threads that dont even make any reference to god or evolution untill someone mentions, in passing, something about a certain breed of dog that they own, and BAM! a thread that, untill that point had 7 replys, suddenly contais two pages of evolution vs guided evolution vs biblical genesis, with a side order of preaching and the occasional peppering of 'your going to hell, satan worshiper'. the religouse forum is bogged down with threads like these, and theyre sprinkled about the rest of the site too.

maybe if the subject had an entire forum dedicated to it, and posts mentioning it in more than passing were moved/split to there, the religouse forum would be less annoying, the people who dont mind arguing with creationists could go there to argue, people who dont want to can avoid having to argue with creationists, creationists could be banished there at the first sighn of a lack of ability/willingness to understand science/logic/common sence/the right of other people to have an oppinion etc, and there'd be somewhere to put all the evolution v creationism crud that pops up.

This is a SCIENCE forum. I don't think we should make an evolution vs creationism forum. There are already sites dedicated to that sort of thing. I'd rather this be an intilectual site.

Moderators could edit posts in actual evolutionary discusion of anoying fundys. Move threads to the religious section if started by a creationist. Or split a thread from evolution and evolution vs creationism.