sorry faf, hes got you beat

blike

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2003-04-19-prodigy_x.htm

"ASHLAND, Va. (AP) — He was solving math problems at 14 months, reading and correcting adults' grammar by 2 — the same age he decided to become a vegetarian. He was explaining photosynthesis to kindergarten classmates at 5. "

He is the next stage in evolution! We have to get rid of him, now, before we are all slaves to Homo Superioritus!

Can you imagine trying to teach a child like that? He says he leads a normal life? Of course having a campus security guard hanging around is a normal life, receiving threats from a jealous classmate, aged 8, is a normal life, making speeches and being followed by the media is a normal life? I genuinely do worry a bit about kids like this - how do they do socially? Do they only communicate well with older people? Do they suffer as adults when they've surpassed everyone else?

Originally posted by daisy

Can you imagine trying to teach a child like that? He says he leads a normal life? Of course having a campus security guard hanging around is a normal life, receiving threats from a jealous classmate, aged 8, is a normal life, making speeches and being followed by the media is a normal life? I genuinely do worry a bit about kids like this - how do they do socially? Do they only communicate well with older people? Do they suffer as adults when they've surpassed everyone else?

Yea. This kid is missing out on "being a kid". I don't know about you, but I was more concerned with my new bicycle at age 5 then I was with photosynthesis.

The thing is, most genius children generally grow up and do nothing special.

he's got to have problems. I know a guy who started college and 15 and he had some.

all that suff about him visiting waring nations and whatnot seems like such a publicity stunt. like those two nomiations for the nobel. sound more like "wouldn't it be amazing if a 13yr old won" votes. not that this kid had really done more towards peace at the time than any one else, just that people where all "wow he's only a kid!"

stuff like this makes me wonder. I'm sure as soon as they decided he was "gifted" they pushed him really hard. I bet that any kid who is pushed enough could go through school much faster than they do now. maybe not done with college at 13. but definitly a bit faster than now.

That kid must have some social problems. He has obtained a bach in Math and going for a Doctorate. Imagine this kid is like 15 a professor teaching post doctorate math to people twice his age.

It's really impressive that he's explaining photosynthesis at the age of 5. But when you think of it Albert Einstein did not learn to speak until he was 5.

Absolutely - aged 5 I had permanently skinned knees and wouldn't have known what photosynthesis was if it jumped up and bit me. At 13 you should be driving your parents up the wall not addressing international conferences.

Why do people assume that a "social life" is always important to everyone?

What is so bad about being more interested in adults than your "peers"?

What is "being a kid," and why do people need to do that?

Revultion towards anything abnormal is frighteningly dominant in our society.

Originally posted by Raider

Why do people assume that a "social life" is always important to everyone?

Because generally speaking, it is.

What is so bad about being more interested in adults than your "peers"?
Nothing at all, within certain bounds.

What is "being a kid,"
Being a kid is a critical stage in physical, psychological and emotional development. It is the period in which we develop the ability to relate to others, and where we acquire the social and cultural norms within our societies, including for example, gender identity. It is the stage where, in interaction with our peers, we experiment with what is and isn't acceptable social behaviour, and where learn how to function in social situations.

and why do people need to do that?
Because if they don't, they tend to become lonely, disfunctional adults, unable to operate in social situations because they never learned the 'rules' governing human social interaction.

Revultion towards anything abnormal is frighteningly dominant in our society.
True.

Originally posted by atinymonkey

What happens to these child geneses when they grow up?

There's unlikely to be any one determined outcome for all child prodigies, so the answer has to be, it depends on how they grow up.

the kid does have a few good points...

but there is an easy way that one can grow up as a healthy child (playing with other children) and still have room to advance intellectually as such that he has done, it just doesn't happen very often...

the kid looks like my brother oddly enough...O_o...right down to the melonhead

Glider,

Because generally speaking, it is.

What exactly does this mean?

Nothing at all, within certain bounds.

Again...what does this mean?

------

Your definition of being a kid seems very nearly a condition impossible to avoid for the length of an average life. Therefore, people have no grounds to complain as everyone is "being a kid" at some point despite perceptions to the contrary. Of course, the definition provided is not really in context with this discussion and probably needs revision.

Because if they don't, they tend to become lonely, disfunctional adults, unable to operate in social situations because they never learned the 'rules' governing human social interaction.

So?

edit:bad tags

Originally posted by Raider

Glider, What exactly does this mean?

You asked "Why do people assume that a "social life" is always important to everyone?" I answered "Because generally speaking, it is." This means that, people assume a social life is important because, a social life is important.

Original quote

What is so bad about being more interested in adults than your "peers"? Nothing at all, within certain bounds.

Again...what does this mean?
This means that, within certain bounds, there is nothing wrong with being more interested in adults than your 'peers'.
Your definition of being a kid seems very nearly a condition impossible to avoid for the length of an average life. Therefore, people have no grounds to complain as everyone is "being a kid" at some point despite perceptions to the contrary.
Very nearly, but not quite. My definition involved the term "critical stage...in development". This is why that stage of childhood is known as 'The formative years'. Adults may have the ability to 'act like a kid' (they clearly cannot "be a kid"), but they have the choice. Conversely, people who never developed socially and psychologically during their formative years will always have trouble being adults, and they won't have the choice.
Of course, the definition provided is not really in context with this discussion and probably needs revision.
The definition provided is in context, both in terms of your question "What is a kid?", and in terms of previous posts in this thread concerning the kid in question, e.g.:
Originally posted by Blike

This kid is missing out on "being a kid".

Originally posted by daisy

Can you imagine trying to teach a child like that? He says he leads a normal life?

Originally posted by spacemanspiff

He's got to have problems. I know a guy who started college and 15 and he had some.

Originally posted by the Gardengnome

That kid must have some social problems.

Original quote:

Your response:

So?

Ok...Now I'm just wasting my time, aren't I?

• 11 months later...

that haircut is not actualy difficult to acheive, in fact it was quite popular amongst the poorer communities in the mid 60`s, all you need is a size 9 jelly bowl and simply cut off all the bits that stick out :)

of course if you had large ears also, you`de look like a Volkswaggon beetle with the doors open, from behind!

Sorry, a person who has large ears looks like a Volkswagen Beetle to you? As someone with large ears, I've heard the comparison made before. Just out of interest, in what way do you think protruding ears look like a Beetle? Why is it a funny comment to make?

"HAD" being the operative word, with rellation to the 60`s.

VW beetles and that comparison was coined then, as was a size 9 jelly bowl, the Jelly bowl ref is not even applicable nowadays as is the VW beetle ouside of collectors items.

read it in Context! :)