Future of the "ScienceForums"

Elite Engineer

I've been here for a little bit over a year now. I see people posting and new members appearing, however is there significant

increase in new members/ activity for the scienceforums to keep going? I know that most members probably do not

contribute money to keep the site up and running, but a decrease or increase in activity (i.e. new members, more posts)

would definitely promise a direction for the future. I'm not a mod/ admin so I don't know any of the behind the scenes work..

how are things going here?

I LOVE this forum so I hope it styays around.

~ee

We're pretty self-sufficient, even without all the obnoxious, post-in-a-thread type ads I see on so many other sites. Everything is volunteer as far as staff goes, so we do as much here as time allows, which never seems enough.

I've been here ten years and there are always new things to discuss. As far as new directions, I've always wanted to start a campaign to enlist new members who are doing field work so we can live vicariously through them. We had a guy here once named Steve O'Shea who joined and kept us posted on his research into giant squid. I thought that was an awesome use of discussion, and might attract those who like to talk but don't like to blog.

I'd love to do more projects like that, but time is so scarce and anything more I do takes away from what I'm already doing.