A question to all of you

Zeo

BTW does any one know the 11 dimensions? (Just interested)
Do you mean the names of them? I don't think the higher seven have any non-mathematical names.
Eventhough superstring says so .....wat's the proof of the existence of so many of em.
No proof, just mathematical evidence that solves many problems if they do indeed exist.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in 4D because otherwise, time would have absolutely no meaning to us, just as a stick figure could not possibly even imagine space in his stick-figurey world >_>

On another note, maybe it's not that we can't imagine higher than 4D, maybe the dimensions above 4D is curved up so that while they exist, we just can't seem them because they are so small. Also, regarding the superstring saying there can only be 11 dimensions, didn't it say it could also be 26 dimensions?

We've been over this subject oh god so many times. I really wish people would search before starting new threads.

On another note, maybe it's not that we can't imagine higher than 4D...

...except that we can.

BTW does any one know the 11 dimensions? (Just interested)

I know that there are 10 space dmensions and 1 time dimension. Eventhough superstring says so .....wat's the proof of the existence of so many of em.

Up and down, left and right, foreward and back, time, and 6 which reside in calibi-yau manifolds. They don't have names, yet. So I'll call them Geoffrey.

Up and down, left and right, foreward and back, time, and 6 which reside in calibi-yau manifolds. They don't have names, yet. So I'll call them Geoffrey.
Geoffrey is the 7th higher spatial dimension, curled up and snoozing in Calibi-Yauville, for a total of 11.

• 2 weeks later...

A slight wisdom I've just only gained:

It's not that we can't understand the dimensions, it's just that we don't really notice them.

A single dimension is really just a line, with not identifiable length, width, height, merely a line indicating a dimension of . . . well, whatever. The second dimension is another line, another variable defining something (actually, it would probably be more than 1 more line), but what it's defining is a lateral surfact, a particular plane in space. The third dimension adds volume, actually adding space between and outside of several planes connected or unconnected or whatever. Cursiously, I've noticed that some believe the 4th dimension to be perspective, or the distance between different objects in space, but I was always under the impression that the 4th dimension was time, a variable indicating the passage of time an object goes through throughout the universe. Of course, that brings a lot of philosophical debate into the equation, merely because no one is entirely sure what the definition of time really is.

To me, time is merely our perspective of individual moments passing by. As I've said in other threads, I believe that all moments and instances are infinite, happening, happened, and yet to be happen all at the same time, and our puny minds, small as they are, are merely interpreting all of it at a certain rate. Now what that rate exactly is, no one truly knows, but it's in my opinion to be infinite.

But, I'm getting off-topic. I'd like to add though that the ultimate measure of a second is officially the amount of distance that light travels in that time, so actually, a second is really the amount of time it takes for light to move a certain distance. Strange, eh? It kind of brings up a paradox somewhat, since you have to think about lightspeed, and how fast light travels in a second, but then, what's a second if a second is really how quickly it takes for light to travel the distance it would in a second???

Lol, but now I seriously AM getting off topic. My last point here is this: I believe that the different dimensions that we are and are not aware of or notice are merely variables in the grand scheme of things, defining how matter operates or doesn't operate in this universe and beyond. I know that this simply sounds like philosophical bullsh*t, but then again, so does everything else concocted by scientists, philosophers (especially), theologians and who knows what else.

Just . . . friendly . . . whatever.

A slight wisdom I've just only gained:

It's not that we can't understand the dimensions' date=' it's just that we don't really notice them.

[/quote']

The term 'dimension' doesn't really help one reason about space better than if one just studies geometry.

At any rate, I think the statement, "space is three dimensional," is referring to the fact that at most three infinite straight lines can meet at a point such that they are mutually perpendicular.

'Time' in certain contexts, is a useless word, and in other contexts it is helpful. And of course what context that term is used in, varies from sentence to sentence, person to person.

I will say that time is not a 'dimension' in any geometrical sense. As I said the word 'dimension' isn't going to help you reason about 'space' any better, or 'time' any better, than if you were to actually study geometry, and actually watch real things move around.

It does allow one to construct a larger variety of sentences than if you didn't use the term, but unless you clearly define what you mean by the term 'dimension' don't expect others to automatically know what you mean.

I believe that all moments and instances are infinite' date=' happening, happened, and yet to be happen all at the same time

[/quote']

This is an explicit contradiction.

our minds... interpret (passage of time) at a certain rate... it's (that rate) infinite.

This is false.

Ah, but how exactly would you know? You're merely a simply flesh and blood human being interpreting everything at the same exact rate as everyone else. About my contradiction part, that was the whole point, because time is much of a corrupt topic to really reason out. That was sarcasm by the way.

And in terms of dimensions, 3d covers every measurable distance or defining things in the universe that we're aware of. Why exactly does the 4th or 5th or any other dimension have to be some measurement defining something in space?

My ultimate point in this little piece, although it's very unclear even to me, is that regardless of how many dimensions there are, or what we think they are or what, we can never truly know, or, if we can, I doubt we will. That's my opinion. You are of course, completely entitled to have yours, even if it denounces my opinions. Just keep in mind that saying something is false without completely knowing so is merely an opinion, not a fact.

I'd like to add though that the ultimate measure of a second is officially the amount of distance that light travels in that time, so actually, a second is really the amount of time it takes for light to move a certain distance.

No, officially the second is defined as the time it takes for 9192631770 oscillations between the hyperfine states of an unperturbed Cs-133 atom.

No, officially the second is defined as the time it takes for 9192631770 oscillations between the hyperfine states of an unperturbed Cs-133 atom.

Would any/all perturbations decrease the number of oscillations? Or could it increase it as well?

I'm wondering if it's a relativistic effect.

Not that this has anything to do with what you guys are talking about but to try to get an idea of why we are in no way affected by the other dimensions think of this, there is a tight rope walker on his rope and he can only move in one direction right, well what if there was a flea on the rope it is still the same rope but the flea can move in two dimensions back and forth like the tight rope walker and also around the rope.

Would any/all perturbations decrease the number of oscillations? Or could it increase it as well?

I'm wondering if it's a relativistic effect.

Depends on whether the interaction moves the states closer together or further apart, or alternately it enhances or inhibits the transition between the states. One of the effects is relativistic, since the atoms are moving as they are being measured.

• 2 weeks later...
A photon is a massless 'packet' of energy.

It is made when an electron changes between a high energy and a low energy state.

Do you know any quantum physics 5614?

No, let me rephrase that, how much quantum mechanics do you know?

A photon is a massless 'packet' of energy.

It is made when an electron changes between a high energy and a low energy state.

Sooo . . . when you turn on a flashlight . . . what is it? Is it that the battery acid in the battery undergoes certain reactions and the energy (or photons) are transfered through the filament? Or maybe that's where the levels are switching? In the filament it self???