Three star system puts general relativity to the test?

too-open-minded

So this star system is sapposed to be the best test for general relativity we have? How could this break the equivalency principle, what we we look for to see this?

Side question - Why does general relativity break down at some point under quantum mechanics or not agree with quantum mechanize? i've been reading this claim alot.

http://www.nature.com/news/massive-double-star-is-latest-test-for-einstein-s-gravity-theory-1.12880

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-01/06/triple-star-system

From what I imagine to understand of the general-public-paper, the neutron star has a bigger proportion of its mass composed of the mutual attraction of its particles, and the white dwarves a smaller proportion for being less dense.

Then, if the mutual attraction of the particles contributes even slightly more (or less) to the inertial mass than to the gravitational mass, the result cumulated over astronomical time must be observable - something like; one star ejected from the trio. Or, as the movement of neutron stars might be observable accurately, it might result in some kind of precession.

Please take with caution.

Swansont -

But why haven't they worked? Go look at the links I posted, it's in the context of this start system and other excerpts online that I keep seeing this. Talking about how general relativity breaks down under extreme conditions and isn't compatible with QM?

Or is this all hogwash?

Thankyou very much Enthalpy, also I LOL'd when I read please take with caution. Thankyou for clearing that up though as that is the best indication of significance of this star system for testing GR equivalence principle that I have found.

Edited by too-open-minded

Electromagnetic and strong force have been quantized in the last 50 yrs through QED and QCD, where a somewhat dubious process called re-normalization disposes of the infinities caused by virtual particles.

Any attempt at quantising gravity so far, has proved to be infested with infinities and not re-normalizable. Re-normalization is apparently related to spin of carrier bosons and higher spin bosons , like gravitons of spin 2, are extremely hard, if not impossible to re-normalize.

AJB would probably be able to explain better as I am out of my depth here.