Iranians Chant "Death to America"

Airbrush

My question is what percentage of the population of Iran supports this? It seems than when the US is involved in nuclear negotiations with Iran, the US diplomats would ask their Iranian counterparts about this. In theory, extremists would gladly destroy entire "infidel" cities to make their point. True believers in Islam would rationalize that holy war should continue nonstop until the entire world is converted to Islam. Even Iran's supreme leader would believe this IF he is a TRUE believer in Islam. According to Islam it is ok to lie to infidels, which includes nuclear inspectors.

First of all, I would think that regardless of religion every leadership would be OK with lying and misleading if it serves their purposes and/or if it is to the benefit to the people they represent. The part about true believers appears to me to be an assertion more than anything else. I could make the same argument to Christianity, which actually calls for proselytizing (as opposed to Islam).

With regards to the attitudes of Iranians, I am pretty sure there is better data out there. But one interesting tidbit from a BBC poll conducted 2004-2006, shows that the view of Iranians towards US influence is more positive (26% mainlly positive to 65 mainly negative) than the US view on Iranian influence (7% mainly positive, 81% mainly negative). Talking to Iranians it does appear that there is a clear distinction (at least among the better educated population) between certain US policies as opposed to Americans or the country as a whole.

Edited by CharonY

I visited Iran round about 2000. The walls of the baggage hall in Tehran airport were decorated with a garish mural depicting armed conflict and topped with some prominent writing in Farsi. We asked the Mr. Fix It who was facilitating our way through customs and immigration what it said. "It just says Death to all the foreign infidels, but you are very welcome." Indeed, throughout our stay, in Tehran and Awas, we were received with nothing but kindness and respect.

More than a decade has passed, but I suspect underlying attitudes are similar. There is propoganda and there is reality.

I was perusing some of the more questionable videos on you tube today and ran across several nuclear warfare simulation vids. I know religious people are often painted as crazy but does anyone really think that taking out a city would cause the rest of the world to cower or to just use the occasional nuke? These simulations seemed to assert this eventuality but then i thought what fun would a video be if the first country to use nukes was turned into a radioactive parking lot?

I just don't see the one batshit crazy nation holding the world hostage scenario as a viable option. kinda like me threatening to sucker punch a professional boxer, I might draw blood but it wouldn't be a significant impediment to him kicking the living shit out of me...

Iran has a few nukes big deal, I have a BB gun my neighbor has a 12 gauge magnum, maybe if i shoot his eye out kid...

Iran has a long history of non-aggression, and is currently showing no sign of having become a radically different country or people than in the past. Also, nucelar bombs are poor weaponry for aggressive war.

Probably no non-nuclear country on earth has as much legitimate need for a nuclear bomb as Iran does.

That's why everyone assumes they are trying to make one - the need is obvious, and the means are there.

In theory, extremists would gladly destroy entire "infidel" cities to make their point. True believers in Islam would rationalize that holy war should continue nonstop until the entire world is converted to Islam. Even Iran's supreme leader would believe this IF he is a TRUE believer in Islam.
I doubt that non-Muslims telling Muslims what they believe or should believe has much of a track record of usefulness - or accuracy.

I've even been hearing on the radio again that old mistranslation of some Iranian President supposedly saying the Israel should be wiped off the map.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do they chant "Death to America"?

Because of the US lead economic sanctions which are openly blamed on the USA. Also the US supported Iraq in the Iran/Iraq war. The US supported the Shah of Iran until he was overthrown. The US is the leading "infidel" nation on earth, so it deserves to fall. Can anyone name any other reasons why Iran officially hates the Great Satan USA?

Edited by Airbrush

Can anyone name any other reasons why Iran officially hates the Great Satan USA?

Uhhmmm... Yes.

Perhaps because we initiated a coup d'état in 1953 against a leader they liked and instead installed a pro-western monarch to the throne who took over the country and exercised great oppression of the people for 26 years merely so we could control their petroleum reserves and gain intelligence on their neighbors?