6th sense.

rahul_rudani

Is it really true that a person has 6th sense ???

Is the person able to know what is going to happen in the future ???

I have watched some movies involving 6th sense. One of them was "final destination" that had a guy who can predict what is going to happen next.

I don't believe it, but I need your opinion of what you guys think.

:feedback:

Final destination was an attrocious awful film that Im genuinely angry I paid money to see. Dont base anything scientific on the film - its mediocre excuse for a plot revolved around someone having predictably dramatic visions of future events.

Evidence of 6th senses and connected psychic abilities are not conclusive but certainly make interesting reading. I saw a program on Discovery that showed a woman in the USSR in the 1950's who appeared to be able to move small objects on a desk with no apparent contact. The claim was the soviets found a tiny amount of people with telekinetic abilities and wanted to hone their skills for assassinations. personally i have doubts over anything the Soviet Union said in public especially in the 1950's but it was an interesting documentary. the footage was grainy and the sound was very poor but it was compelling viewing none the less.

There is no way to disprove psychokinetic abilities or ESP but all cases within a controlled environment have been disproved.

In the 1970's the U.S. government spent $1,000,000,000 on a project that tries to use psychic abilities to the governemnts advantage in the cold war. This project used something called "remote viewing" which was based on government phsychics trying to find out about russian plans through seeing through concentrating on eyes of people in russia.

The project was unsuccessful with only one solid hit out of the many thousands of attempts. This was within thwe laws of probability like flipping a coin 100 times and having it land on heads 65 times.

Meanwhile this mind stuff is still

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: but researches still struggle in trying to prove it.

By the way, her name was Nina Kulagina, and since she lived in the 1800's there was no way in creating a truly controlled experiment..so she was just a :bs: ing hoe.

Strife, there was a reason why this thread was started in the Pseudoscience section.

Think before you speak.

This :bs: is just as probable as the theory of an asteroid wiping out the dinisaurs, although much less accepted.

Anyways, all this makes for some interesting pondering but there is not enoguh genuine information on the subject.

Yes.

The point of the SS analogy is that it demonstrates a huge force can be generated without easily observed or immediately obvious mechanisms (although as an analogy it is slightly flawed in that solar sails have been conceptualised based on the theoretical workings, rather than being created then explained).

Perhaps saying that it side-steps the momentum issue was a bit misleading. I should have said 'calls it into question'.

Ok, so the human brain is capable of absorbing and processing a vast amount of information almost subconsciously. Take the calculation of the trajectory of a thrown ball, the calculations would take hours to work out on paper but your hand still appears in the correct place to catch the ball.

The mind also fills in gaps to process information, a partially sited person or a person with tunnel vision will often see objects out of the corner of their eye (people they know, familiar objects) that don't actually exist. The mind has simply created them when it expected something to be.

So it would be a fairly logical assumption that the mind processes information from a wide variety of sources that we are not consciously aware of and forms conclusions based on that. Some of these conclusions, while based on information received could be construed as 'ESP' as they have no apparent source. People tend to turn to the supernatural to explain things they don't understand.

It's my opinion that ESP is just a term used by people who underestimate the processing power of the human brain.

• 2 months later...

I agree with monkey boy---- I have extreme faith that our brains can be trained to do incredible things. It really makes me angry at the education system to set limits on this. I think it is highly likely the esp and other supernatural powers could be attributed to highly enhanced interpretation of the known senses---- I also think it is possible we have methods of seeing things through parts of ourselves which are mostlly undetectible by modern equiptment. Obviously the later possiblity cannot be tested.

yes well...I agree with Greg, I'm just happy I was forced to watch it when my family rented it and watched it over and over again, thankfully I have a room...that movie was...well...

anyways, the education system these days really should be shot and replaced, this one sucks and limits kids to almost NOTHING!!! really it's a waste...

America should just borrow the template for education from the UK, in which the state also sponsors university students making the educational system open to all and not just people with enough money to further their education.

The US copied our template for government and law, why not education as well?

Monkey boy indeed. :rant:

Originally posted by atinymonkey

America should just borrow the template for education from the UK, in which the state also sponsors university students making the educational system open to all and not just people with enough money to further their education.

The UK is currently trying to copy the US; education appears to be coming in only for the richest and the poorest.

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

The UK is currently trying to copy the US; education appears to be coming in only for the richest and the poorest.

True, it's quite depressing that a Labour government is creating an elitist system of education. Mind you Tony Blair is becoming increasingly erratic and will probably do a U-turn at some point. I particularly like his quote of 'the NHS will have 1 million staff seeing 1 million patients at least once every 36 hours', which would mean they sit around for two days and then see one person. Bizarre.

• 2 months later...

A thought that I`ve was pondering over some years back, lead me to an idea regarding telepathy, I`ve much anecdotal evidence as to it`s possible existance as I`m sure most here have also (knowing who`s on the fone before you answer it, or going to call someone up and the fone rings as your about to dial etc...)

we know that our brains and indeed bodies work on electrical impulses, thjat is fact.

we also know that ANY electrical impulse creates an electro magnetic feild (no matter how small) is also a fact.

EM inpulses when switched on/off or changing states, will emit a radio frequency also fact.

so, with a little leap of the imagination, it could be POSSIBLE that our brains can pick up on these signals since they would be of the same sort as our own brains. and also fact is that the lower the frequency the longer the wavelength and the further it will travel. tests have been done in isolation chambers using EM feilds that have created odd feelings and halucinations in the subjects. so MAYBE telepathy isn`t all that far fetched?

I could never work out why powerfull radios don`t seem to effect us though?

• 1 month later...

i have thought about this off and on for the last... 2.5 years (since i was 14). telepathy, pre-cognition, remote viewing, and all those things are in fact real, but not in the way anyone thinks of them. we do not have a 6th sense, we have only 5 major sanses (+ some internal senses for some things that don't do much). all the time our brains are taking in millions of portions of information and processing them at a level we can't understand (unless you completely understand chaos theory and infinity). only a small portion of this information is processed by your conscious mind, while everything else is precessed by your subconscious mind. while your subconscious mind processes this, it analyses it and looks for any similarities to previous events. it finds many similarities with many different events, and forms a highly edjucated guess of what the information means. in effect, this predicts the future, reads other's minds, remembers where lost items were, and assumes what can't be seen or heard. this is what is mistaken for esp, and is nothing more than advanced sensory perception.

the reason some people seem to have more "esp" than others is because some people are more in touch with their subconscious than others. a good indicator of how in touch with your subconscious you are is how easily you learn how to meditate and how well you meditate, since meditating is turning down your conscious mind, and letting your subconscious mind take control.

on kind of a side note: i don't know about telekinesis, but mind over matter, chi, and becoming super sayan (you might not know what that is, it's on an anime show) are all real. they are just subconsciously increasing or decreasing blood flow and horomone flow to certain areas of the body.