Iraq Polls Close!

blike

"Iraq's electoral commission said turnout was estimated at 72% - significantly higher than expected."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that higher than the turnout in the US election that just passed?

Mokele

I'm not surprised that their voter turnout was higher then our own. Our citizens don't realize what a privelige it is to be able to elect your own leader. The Iraqi's haven't been able to for 50 years...they can really appreciate the significance of it. Americans certainly take their rights and freedoms for granted. I, for one, can't wait until I'm old enough to vote

American non-voters are so jaded! The typical answer to, "Why don't you vote?" is always something like:

1. All politicians are the same

2. My one vote doesn't really count

3. I don't get into politics

I think these people are also the ones who gripe loudest about how terrible things are.

I sincerely hope the Iraqis get the government they really want.

I'm not surprised that their voter turnout was higher then our own. Our citizens don't realize what a privelige it is to be able to elect your own leader. The Iraqi's haven't been able to for 50 years...they can really appreciate the significance of it. Americans certainly take their rights and freedoms for granted. I, for one, can't wait until I'm old enough to vote

Nicely said, ecoli. I too can't wait to vote. I'll have to wait until I'm more than 21 to vote in a presidential election, but it's good to know that I can soon vote in all the smaller elections. It's good to see Iraq responding in the same way.

Nicely said, ecoli. I too can't wait to vote. I'll have to wait until I'm more than 21 to vote in a presidential election, but it's good to know that I can soon vote in all the smaller elections. It's good to see Iraq responding in the same way.

26th Amendment, 1971 - 18 year olds can vote. Many do not though.

i would like to add that i find great irony in the fact that 150' date='000 kurds were not given ballots.

not to question the good intentions of those in power[/quote']

I can find no evidence of that at all.

Please have the integrity to provide some source for that assertation or withdraw it.

I`m aware of a few little bits and bobs with regards to the "partys" that are running (Sky News, that I watch daily).

the part that REALLY! impressed me tho` was the turnout!

60%, as compared to 40 odd % in the UK elections, and we don`t run the risk of being killed when doing it either!

I say, Good for them! they`ve put US to shame in our apathy and our easy come easy go attitude.

They deserve to get the peace and happiness for their efforts.

Big Thumbs-Up! for the Iraqi citizens from me :))