Commandments 1, 2, 3 and 4...

Externet

Jealousy, vain, selfishness, intimidation; are words that come to mind in my not very good English language knowledge; perhaps other words could choose more proper terms about the scenario behind the first 4 commandments.

In proper English, does any one perceive better adjectives ?

To me, all four are saying, "OK, you've been praying to lots of bad false gods, now we need you to focus on just one. He's going to supersede everything before Him, so just forget about all of that. He's the latest and greatest, he'll run circles around all those other gods, so you should totally switch to the new and improved God like all your smart neighbors are doing. You won't be sorry you switched, but you WILL be sorry if you don't."

It's a branded campaign, with logos and ad copy and well-trained salespeople. Act now and receive eternal bliss!

It's a branded campaign, with logos and ad copy and well-trained salespeople. Act now and receive eternal bliss!

Complete with a renewed campaign, re-branding, and new & improved salvation. They need to make a Mad Men prequel.

Complete with a renewed campaign, re-branding, and new & improved salvation. They need to make a Mad Men prequel.

"Trying to be the only religion in town? No one will smell a rat if you use new Religious Right Guard!"

Jealousy, vain, selfishness, intimidation; are words that come to mind in my not very good English language knowledge; perhaps other words could choose more proper terms about the scenario behind the first 4 commandments.

In proper English, does any one perceive better adjectives ?

Three mods and not one sensible answer to a sensible question...they can have a red one each. wink.png

I wouldn't put 'jealousy' in this scenario as it relates to coveting or desiring something that someone else has but vain, selfish and intimidating are appropriate.I think. Maybe egocentric as well?

Edited by StringJunky

• 2 weeks later...

The first four commandments basically boil down to:

I am the new God and I have a bigger dick than your old God. You better worship me or else. Also, take a day off once in a while so you can come to my temples and remind yourself how damned utterly awesome I am.

The last six are basically:

Here's a rule about paying attention to the old folks, and another 5 rules that are just good common sense if you don't want the rest of the neighborhood to beat the crap out of you on a daily basis.

• 3 weeks later...

...yea.. we need to start from scratch here. Notice how the 10 commandments are written on two stones. There are two stories that can help you get a better understanding.

First- in Matthew (22:36, I think) When a person asked Jesus which was the greatest commandment.... He broke it down into two basic ones. Love God. Love your neighbor. This is the foundation of all law. The first 5 commandments on the first tablet are guidlines as to how to respect God... Don't make up new ones, don't use him as an excuse for your own vanity (God wants us to blow up the other guys), follow my advice.

The second is how to respect fellow people.... Don't cheat on them, steal from them, kill them, all that. All biblical law is a way to describe how to love and respect God... And how to love and respect people.

2nd, rabbi hillel said something similar, a bit later. A person came to him and said that if this rabbi could stand on one foot and teach him the entire Torah (hebrew scriptures), he would believe.

Being a super troll rabbi hillel stood one one foot and said love God, and don't treat people poorly. The rest is commentary. Now, go read.

.... So, that's the 10 commandments and all law in the bible. If you do something, it should be out of love. If it's not out of love, knock it off.