YOUR opinion matters

DocBill

I am in the process of putting togeather my next book. I have run into an unussual snag: the title. I have 2 that I like, and cannot choose. I would very much like to read YOUR views.

Background: the book is an examination as to why American Public Schools are amoung the worst in the world, while Private and Home schooled students are at or above the world average. The book will not be very "warm and fuzzy" and will make some pretty unpoplular statements which will be backed up by facts. Here are the title choices, and please, if you hate both fine. What I don't need are suggestions as to a "Better" title. These two were chosen out of several by my agent, publicist and myself.

"THE LOST GENERATION"

(sub subtitle)

How Political Correctness has destroyed American Education

"WHY JONNY CAN'T READ"

(sub subtitle)

Liberalism and The Decimation of American Education.

Your vote?

Thanks much

Bill

'The Lost Generation' isn't memorable enough to me. If it's controvertial than you want people to remember the name so you can get some *free* word of mouth publicity. The second title is cheesy but it's for a book, not a research paper. If you put 'Liberalism' into the subtitle you have to be prepared to lose readers who call themselves liberal, which is a fair proportion of the people who actually buy books. Political correctness really isn't part of the ideology of any political groups (you don't get political correctness marches) so it would be easier to blame.

I'm thinking, first title, second subtitle...

however, I must disagree with the subject matter in the fact that I went to public schools, I will agree that everyone else is stupid, HOWEVER!! there must be at least two kids at each school like that^_^

Originally posted by Dudde

I'm thinking, first title, second subtitle...

however, I must disagree with the subject matter in the fact that I went to public schools, I will agree that everyone else is stupid, HOWEVER!! there must be at least two kids at each school like that^_^

I also went to public schools. I also taught in them many years latter. I also have participated in studies that show an undeniable doward spiral in the quality of the educational system. You can agree or disagree. Facts are facts. I also have students from places like Siera Leone who went to school in grass huts, and spke 5 languages by 6th grade. These, they are quick to point out, are only "average" students for their nation. They make our "average" student look very pathetic in comparrison.

I also have witnessed my old HS graduating more than one person who could not read or write, as he was 19 and needed to be out. I don't want the US to become a nation of janitors and maids.

I realize it is not "politically correct" to point them out..but someone has to.

And I am just direct enough to do it.

Bill

Thanks

Bill

oh no no, I agree wholeheartedly that american education is spiraling downward, my first, second, third and fourth period classes are all great examples of that (I've only got a four period day)

just making it clear that sometimes students can be inspired to learn more^_^ (probably from individual teachers)

Originally posted by Radical Edward

again, the "liberalism" has other connotations that don't nescessarily apply, and would stop alot of people from reading it. For example, I am pretty liberal, but at the same time I think that political correctness applied in copious doses is actually damaging.

True...you have a point there.

How about 'The Oxymoron that is American Education ' :D

(sub subtitle)

Why the Liberalism and The Decimation of American Education made American kids Moron's. :flame:

I think I'd steer away from 'Why Jonny can't read'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060913401/qid=1049110340/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_3_10/026-6200037-2804416

Unless you are a fan of long litergation trials.

I'd also steer away from 'The Lost Generation'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0962439215/qid=1049110913/sr=1-48/ref=sr_1_0_48/026-6200037-2804416

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0900984392/qid=1049110899/sr=1-33/ref=sr_1_0_33/026-6200037-2804416

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553296809/qid=1049110825/sr=1-20/ref=sr_1_2_20/026-6200037-280441

Plus the term 'Lost Generation' is most commonly used to refer to the teengers lost to the Cultural Revolution in China, not so much to the MTV / Generation X people in America.