The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hey I'm fairly new. I somehow ended up doing Pharmacy even though I've slept through most of my basic education. I also like ******** off a roof and watching the piece of **** flip around in the greatest demonstration of Physics.

Guest generihumano

I'm a 21 y/o male Biology enthauist who may or may not make a career out of it.

I'm also agnostic towards religions but love studying them.

Nice to meet everyone!

Guest stephmp
:D hi everyone, this is my first post on here, so i just wanted to say hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is my very first post here, and this is kind of experimental, I really don't know what to expect at all.

I am interested in a few different things, often from a the philosophical angle. I've got some personal big long term projects, and many minor transient projects which expect for providing fun, serves as excellent model projects for some of my long term projects. Find the theory of everything, isn't that what we all strive for? Meanwhile there is alot of fun things.

I'm simply curious too see what kind of knowledge is on here.

Are the people on here typically students that go here to discusse course contents or what?

Some of my interestes are fermentation science (yeast), learning science, philosophy of science, theoretical physics. Of course, to me they are nothing but different angles of the very same core, and I belive in analysis from all reachable angles.

I am not a student (though I used to be one: physics, math, comp sci), nor do I work with science. To me science and it's philosophy is a fundamental thing, transcending work and transient stuff. As long as there is a way, I'd like to not have anything interfere with it.

I am one of those guys that used to think when I was in school that physics, math and chemistry are the good stuff and biology is merely an application of the former and alot of boring empricial findings. I used the reductionist approach to it's extreme. I abandoned my planned chemistry studies in favour of physics, and I ended up feeding only on the theoretical and philosophical parts of that as well. Eventually the fundamentals and other working on string theory triggered my baloney indicator again. It's not that it could be proven wrong, it just wasn't the answer to the question I would ask. The wrong question was asked, and I found no point in spending my life trying to answer the wrong question.

Then I come to realized I really missed something essential. The essence of life. Biology went from rotten leaves, to something amazing. Then I realized that at this other extreme, I kind of hit the same core as in the opposite direction.

Fundamentals of particle physics, the nature of the elements, dimensions and time. Fundamentals of the so called "laws" of nature. Fundamentals of life, and the nature of creation, conscioussness. Intuitively the connection is obvious, yet there are plenty of things to work out. Evolution of life, and growth of science are sort of special cases of the same thing to me. It's this thing I want. I want the abstraction of the abstraction, and hope to find the commong inductive step. Because life to me isn't static. We, they, everything is kind of in motion. Objective absoluteness is unreal to me. Or, an idealized concept at best, useful in applications.

So if everything is so damn fuzzy, and nothing is real, how can things still be so apparently real? I think I will never find the answer. But I think I may find the rule that will tell me what is the most clever "next step" in my quest. That's really the best I can accopmlish. I don't know where I'm going, but I always know where I will place my next footstep.

I want to understand the logic, philosophy and science of that very process. I admit it is still a kind of reductionist approach, only that I think this time the focus is not on the absolute, but on the exploration of the unknown as beeing fundamental concept.

/Fredrik

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ya'll

I'm in the USAF and stationed at Barksdale AFB, LA. Right now I'm a weather forecaster and currently forecast for bases in Mississippi. I've always loved science and plan on getting a teaching degree so I can teach HS history and HS Science. Right now I'm just a tad shy of my Associates degree (right now I have 61 credits, but need 4 classes to get my degree).

I'm a big gamer (PC, X-Box/X-Box 360, PS2 and N64), big reader and love sports. Currently I'm on the squadron bowling team, play volleyball every other day, will be playing soccer and softball when they start up and might take up golf. Bout the biggest thing I've done so far was hurricane releif. I had just arrived in Biloxi, MS for my weather Tech school when Katrina hit. After that, I spent the next month cleaning up the base and helping with supplies off base.

Bout all I can think of off the top of my head...

(PS - MRE's taste good heated and with tabasco sauce)

Hi, I'm Dan, undergraduate Maths student at University College London. I found this site via an archive of pseudoscience, and am pleasantly surprised by the rest of the site.

Also, I secretly covet a better rank, and so am shamelessly posting here for +1 experience point.

And I am only up this early because I didn't go to bed. I'll pay for that later methinks.

Guest cassiopeia

Greetings all

I teach science to HS students and work in a lab as well.

My areas of interest include astronomy, biology, physics, psychology of behaviour, philosophy and history of science and that's just scratching the surface. There is so much out there to appreciate in science and I look forward to reading and hopefully joining in on some of these discussions in this forum.

cheers,

m

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phyllis

Hello - I'm new here. Da - right?

Anyway, I have a Clinical Laboratory Medicine degree from University of Maryland and also a nursing degree. I work as a nurse for the dept of Surgery at a major medical center (tertiary/quaternary care level). I hold board certifications in Microbiology, transfusion medicine,hematology,biochemistry, immunolgy and serolgy. I am also an RN. I did RN school in a year because it pays better. I have described myself as somewhat of a medical mercenary in the past but hey we all got bills to pay- right.

I have a couple other credentials but the point is I'm a big time science bug and looking for folks with similar mindset. Are you them?

:) Is this all the smilies you peeps have?

I used to be a Mensa member but they sucked and charge an annual fee so I currently post at Int'l Hi IQ Society. Any other members from there in here?

Guest Hugh Man

Hello all, I'm Hugh Man, I'm a house mate of Snail who has been egging me to join. I might be picking your brains soon, looking forward to any future insight. :)