The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello everyone! My name is Elina and I am a student of an intensified Exact Sciences school. We study by university material for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. I have chosen Neuroscience as my speciality, I am also greatly interested in Particle Physics. Wrote about this in my "about me" page. I found this an interesting forum and will contribute in the near future.

Hi,

My names Aaron,

I am currently carrying out a project (as part of an MRes) that is looking to identify a promoter region of the Pax7 gene in the cichlid fish Metriaclima zebra.

The reason for this is that Pax7 in certain cichlid fish is thought to be responsible to some degree for a colour polymorphism (orange-blotch).

Although Pax7 does not show phenotype associated sequence differences it is thought a promoter region upstream might.

I am hoping to find a candidate region through bioinformatics (an area I am totally unfamiliar with - as my last piece of work was a behavioral based study) which I will then look at more closely by designing the appropriate primers etc etc (again I'm really quite uncomfortable with molecular biology)

Hey there guys I'm Brant and I was wondering how people can claim to trap electrons or ferions for that matter considering the uncertainty principle. If you could really trap one wouldn't that mean tapping into the energy contained in the place where things go when you can't see them lol????

I thought for any new members that we have, it might be nice to introduce yourself. feel free to do so here :)

Hello everyone, I am Mdahalishi Mjumbe and I am from Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia. I joined this site because the content looks interesting. I hope to become a valued contributing member of this community.

Mdahalishi Mjumbe.

Edited by Mdahalishi Mjumbe

Hello,

I am a graduate engineer. My whole career has been in engine research and development.

Outside work I am greatly interested in astronomy, cosmology, & evolution.

Also of special interest is ancient history, particularly Sumerian, Babylonian & Assyrian.

Hi there. I'm the new guy.

I'm figuring I'm most likely going to be the only one of my type of this whole site, as my science education hasn't exceeded past grade 12. But besides that I have a well understanding of physics which strangely moulded with a fascination of space to create this buggy, yet slowly growing theory of how the whole universe came together. Or at least how a galaxy is formed and the cause of supernovas.

I wasn't getting all the information and answers I needed from Google (though it did help with a few additional concepts), so I figured I'd come here to bounce a few ideas off some very smart people to see how far fetched my theory was.

Let me know who's interested,

Tipo

Hi there. I'm the new guy.

I'm figuring I'm most likely going to be the only one of my type of this whole site, as my science education hasn't exceeded past grade 12. But besides that I have a well understanding of physics which strangely moulded with a fascination of space to create this buggy, yet slowly growing theory of how the whole universe came together. Or at least how a galaxy is formed and the cause of supernovas.

I joined this site when I was age 12. (Not grade 12, but 12 years old.) It is an excellent place to ask questions and learn. I hope you enjoy it.

Hello! I am not quite "New" but lost the username and password of my old account (yes, I know) after 1.5 years of inactivity! I love what I have seen of Physics, am addicted to Math, love giving long and drawn out explanations of miniscule and irrelevant things. I program in Java (Sort of) and I am learning how to hack in C for security improvement (I want to get a computer-related job, as you may notice). I am 13 years old, skipped 2nd grade, go to a tiny and slowly failing school system as an 8th grader. I want to go to Carol Martin's Gatton Academy for Science and mathematics. Nuclear-related Physics interest me, so now I keep a piece of Trinitite with me most of the time {Safe :) } That is most of me.

-Briddell

I joined this site when I was age 12. (Not grade 12, but 12 years old.) It is an excellent place to ask questions and learn. I hope you enjoy it.

I joined when I was 12, too! I am 13 now: I lost my account info. GO SCIENCE!

Hi, I'm Petrus. I live in Namibia and busy studying IT at UNISA(first year).

I love programming and anything else that's new or that I don't know.

I'm VERY curious, love to learn new stuff! Want to improve on my math skills, lets hope I can get some pointers on this site.

Didn't do to well in school, I seem to have gotten a lot smarter afterworlds and trying to capitalize on it. I blame the school system. I was also a bit lazy back then but grew out of it when I got to see the real world.

Hi I am a new member here. My dream is to write a book on Computer Science basics that someone from any scientific discipline can understand and

appreciate. I have a small survey, if you will be willing to give your inputs. Very much appreciate that.

The URL for the survey is:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P6TXSRX

Thank you very much and look forward participate in the discussions here.

Hello all!,

I'm Adam. I'm a combat(US Army) Veteran that has always been interested in science. I'm 33 years old. I'm currently in college for Computer Forensics. I'll be posting questions on here due to the face that I'm very interested in Space science and travel, along with Time travel and the ways(theories) of how it can be done. Thanks all!

Adam

Hi,

I am currently living in Wales, UK, but I am from the US. My background is in engineering, mainly industrial and systems engineering. Industrial engineering conjures up images of people with stop watches prowling dark satanic mills at the behest of evil capitalists seeking to make us into their wage slaves. Now-a-days, industrial engineering is all about statistics, operations research, mathematical modeling, and human factors engineer and ergonomics. Industrial engineers can be found working in just about any business or technical field. My specialties are program (or programme in the UK) management, and performance measurement and modeling.

I have an abiding interest in physics. I recently finished Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw's book titled "Why does E=MC Squared and Why Should We Care" I recommend it as a very readable introduction to relativity. I was so impressed, I bought another book by the two authors on quantum physics. I understand that quantum physics is spectacularly successful, but it leaves me feeling that it is all too artificial. The math may agree very well with experimental results, but it doesn't seem to explain very much about what is actually happening. I know it is said that a desire to understand what is happening in quantum mechanics is unnecessary and counter-productive, but I refuse to accept that. Fortunately, I don't use QM in my work so I can afford to take that extreme view.