Science fiction concept(s)

TransformerRobot

*facepalm* How did I forget that?!

Anyway, yes, the Martians tried to find a new planet, but they got knocked down by meteorites along the way and crashed onto prehistoric Earth. Before the crash, just in case, they froze themselves cryogenically.

Can't believe I forgot something so important.

I just thought of something:

If the whole Earth was reconfigured overtime for maglev travel (on land at least), how long would it to put in all those electrical fields?

Also, is there any danger of such a thing throwing Earth off it's axis or worse?

As a rider with many hours on both dirt and streets, control of a highly maneuverable two wheel vehicle is dependent almost entirely on the friction of the tires to the road or uneven terrain as is the case off road. The ability of a motorcycle to lean over in corners to lower its center of gravity and keep its mass in line with direction of force is what makes it handle so well. A future vehicle would need to simulate this friction or it would perform, with respect to control, like a vehicle on ice or even worse a barrel rolling. You may provide it with propulsion that does not require friction to the ground or even the atmosphere like propellers or the thrust of jet engines, but you would need to provide a relative degree of control based on friction like wings or tires. A complex array of retro rockets or jets over the vehicles surface could provide the characteristics of high performance control in environments of liquid, atmosphere or even outer space. arc

Edited by arc

The use of air breaks (flaps) on planes like A10 Warthogs allow the pilot time to line up the target.

post-88603-0-64814500-1370228405_thumb.jpg

These control surfaces resembles conventional ailerons but move to greater degrees of angle and are arranged in symmetrical pairs on each wing. You can use this concept in any position on the vehicles exterior. These braking surfaces can slow and even steer the vehicle by applying one side or the other. A reversed application would produce the most drag effect. Imagine a short wing splitting at the leading edge. The forward portion of the fuselage sides would work as well.

I always smile when I see in sci-fi movies vehicles that match or exceed a motorcycles degree of performance without wings or tires. They glide through the air, leaning into corners without sliding and then just stop on a dime. All without an explanation of the technology.

Edited by arc

Uh, I don't think anybody has answered my question about maglev's effect on the Earth's magnetic field.

Would it be possible for there to be so much maglev around the world that there would be negative consequences towards the planet's axis?

I am reasonably confident that a science fiction piece will have no effect on the earth's rotation or magnetic field...

In the real world I am almost as confident the human species is incapable of generating that much power right now and for the foreseeable future....

Why?

How much power would they destabilize Earth's magnetic field?

You asked about earth's spin axis, that has nothing to do with earth's magnetic field or at least the magnetic field doesn't control the spin axis. As for the Earths magnetic field I'm sure that some very powerful magnets might confuse compass needles under the right circumstances over limited distances...

Well in the front end of my design I put in 2 retro valves like in a jet plane. The 2 of them together are as strong as the valve in the rear that pushes the bike forward. Will that work as well?

That takes care of start and stop. Now you need control. I think you need to do some research, STAR WARS research. That series has the best selection of single and double rider vehicles. Return of the Jedi had a chase through the giant trees on skycycles? Or in Revenge of the Sith there is a real nice chopper style ride. Watch all the vehicles carefully, they only have a minimum of functional reality. They move like they have an anti gravity mechanism, which they may according to some back story information known only by the most devoted fans. They add some little flaps that seem to steer and the thrusters also.

Don't let us make you think you have to create some sort of high degree of technical fidelity, because you don't. A good story will carry and/or negate any technical short comings. There have been many movies and stories that were very technically simple and were given a pass by most because it was an enjoyable story. But the badly executed story line gets no mercy for its technical flaws, as both are closely scrutinized. A book has to match the two carefully, a really serious plot tends to require more technical accuracy while a adventure like Star Wars can get by with a lot of gizmos and thingamajigs that don't need any real explanation. arc

The great Sci-Fi authors, who were good at predicting the future, Mary Shelly, H.G. Wells, Jule Verne, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, etc., often missed the technology but predicted a need that would be satisfied by some technology. For example Wells wrote about a fast mail system (analog to email) that used evacuated pipes with mail sent in capsules (similar to systems used in some drive up banking stations). There is a good documentary, Profits of Science Fiction, you may find interesting and informative.

Well, after watching the episode on H.G. Wells, I'm beginning to have doubts about my concept.

Whatever I predict in the story may end up used for destruction or suppression. I'm sure mankind is stupid enough to do so. mad.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, go ahead.

Also, I just thought of something: What if somebody in the concept had figured out to make the fans in hovercraft to spin much faster and stronger than before?

First, I ask you this: What is the maximum number of RPMs in a jet engine?