Electro Magnetism

DevilSolution

This isnt totally relative to electro magnetism but id like to know if it would be possible to inject a chemical into your body thats able to stick to neurotransmitters and then be activated using some frequency on the electro magnetic spectrum. the chemical itself would probably have to be of some metallic nature or atleast magnetically charged...

Im curious as to whether this is physically possible.

Edited by DevilSolution

As in, send something on that frequency that turns it on/off or otherwise controls it (perhaps analogue where it increases its strength to get a higher signal response in the neurotransmitter). I dont exactly know how radio waves and such work but basing it along those sort of lines.

I.E a metallic chemical that sticks to transmitters and is controlled using something on the em spectrum. When i say control i mean either send an electrical pulse (axon) down the synapse to another neuron or inhibit the receptor from accepting neurons from specific transmitters.

Is it physically possible?

Edited by DevilSolution

Well the effects are unknown without a map of the brain BUT interaction is that of blocking or passing signals to neurons as already stated.

This whole concept is quite multi-subject, but physically could the metalic (or other) chemical somehow interact with the transmitter to create and send information between neurons?

Edited by DevilSolution

I firmly believe such EM weapons exist already and are commonly used but don't rely on any sensitizer.

Thus, they are non-specific and block rather the whole brains, serving to let targeted people get seizures or wound themselves by falling.

Nasty enough. Don't rely on me to make spook weapons worse than they are already. I'm happy to have not taken part in the ones developed in 1991. Probably used against me in 1992 and 1995.

Recently, open research played with vaguely similar toys activated by light - which is of course impractical as a weapon.

chemical synapses or electrical synapses?

I'm not sure it would be that easy to find an expert on neurotransmitters.It's a complicated question.

Shining a light in someone's eyes causes neurotransmitters to fire,so there must already be a mechanism?

Hammer head sharks can detect movement of an electric field.

Edited by derek w

chemical synapses or electrical synapses?

I'm not sure it would be that easy to find an expert on neurotransmitters.It's a complicated question.

Shining a light in someone's eyes causes neurotransmitters to fire,so there must already be a mechanism?

Hammer head sharks can detect movement of an electric field.

Interesting ability to have evolved and posses,

Im not quite sure how electrical and chemical signals work, i presume the electrical signal "awakens" the chemical neurons causing you to have a subtle emotion relative to the information you've just been fed. For example seeing a kitten will send an electrical pulse down all the relative structures (such as life > animal > domestic > cat) releasing its surge on the neurological structure of a kitten which in turn makes us go "awwww". If this is somewhere near accurate then i presume the organometallic chemical would have to somehow bind to a each neuron somehow?

Edited by DevilSolution

Electrical synapses are faster and usually associated with fear response,hormone release,reflex actions etc.

Chemical synapses are slower but have a gain,in other words the more often they fire the easier they fire.

neurotransmitters use calcium ions.

Eh, this is heavily in speculations. As a general rule, you can just stick things to metabolites such as neurotransmitters, because they a) are likely not able to perform their activities anymore and b) tagging these molecules is usually not possible in vivio in whole organisms.

Even assuming that there are a lot of neurotransmitters attached to magnetic nanobeads and even if we assume that they still perform, what would a magnetic field do? The molecules are deposited within cells and are released by specific mechanisms after stimulation. What would a magnetic pulse actually do? In the best case you induce movement within the magnetic field, so the metabolites move a bit around in the cell. Chances are, however that you may need a field strong enough that has more effects on the rest of your body. In other words, you cannot specifically "activate" specific synapses with this scheme.