A lingual theory of everything

Mike Smith Cosmos

I think the "dark side" you may fear with the math's being the > ALL < is misplaced. The fear is the unknowable preceedings to the maths....do not shoot the messenger for a while yet.....his is the only way to illuminate this "darkness" ...edd

If we look at the pre Big Bang region split as I have proposed into a succession of black box regions that we can say they exist even though we are unsure how each black box performs or works . But we can say each one has an input , process and output.

If we accept that somewhere in this succession say ( black box 6 ) MATHS appears at the output of this particular black box. What we can be sure of is , that for maths to exist there must be number, and for there to be number there must be more than 1 (ONE). One goes to two, by division and/or duplication. Two goes to four ,four to eight. Etc. In other words some form of division and/duplication of something must have been present at the input of that black box. Say during the process of (black box 5) .

post-33514-0-73753900-1388159092_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

the black box idea is good...I see the first box as the first identifiable theoretical structure within the void. A randomly occuring point of entropy reduction within the void....normally not a self sustaining or self-referenced one. But at least once in the history of time, just the right parameters persisted long enough to proceed to the next black box... (2). logic construction based upon the parameters given by previous box leading to... (3). logic maturation, but needs some "raw material" to work with to create something beyond theoretical possibilites. (3.5) So, how many "voids" has appeared within the chaos of the particular properties leading to us? ONE...and only one void. One "point" only, unique and perhaps never to be repeated....not 3 voids, or 38 voids....just one...So a first digit is produced with this new development... but this doesn't go anywhere either without help from "simple" geometry. We have a theoretical point, and any point regardless of size or being theoretical or real, has within it, as granted by the logic substrates, PI. An endless source of information, going on forever within the theoretical point leading to.....(4) singularity construction with increasing amount of information, increasing to becoming a "informational black hole". The maturation of information construction leads to box....(5) and the final informational algorithmic sets creating the dimensions....with these dimensions being the first theoretical constructs to depart the containment of the singularity.....with this departing, and the establishing of the 3 dimensions, the next event in box.....(6) is the "big bang" or release, as I prefer, as finally all the information within the singulariy, has a place to go...the "vessel" of the 3 dimensions.....this gives the first expression of "physical" reality of primordial energies.....edd

follow-up on chaos....I see one and one only truly infinite anything, anywhere, any time....the chaos. Since the chaos is truly infinite, any definable area within it, (while not a true "point") must have information from an area of the chaos since it must have been complex. However, if the chaos is infinite, than any finite area within it is an infintesimal point in comparison to the infinite size of the chaos....that is how I get around having an area within the chaos becoming a defacto "point".....edd

Edited by hoola

the black box idea is good...I see the first box ....edd

You seem to have gone strait for the jugular edd .

When I coined this three principle Lingual Theory of everything back in the late 1980,s /early 1990's ,I realised I needed to take account of the universes' initial chain so put line one in to handle this issue. My reasoning was that if it were not true , we would not be here , or the universe. and as the evidence appears to be we are here , and the universe is here , it must be true. The further two lines of the theory cover everything AFTER that FIRST BOX. ,which I am in the process of trying to show the validation for here, as it applies in the present day .

" A Lingual / NON-Mathematical THEORY OF EVERYTHING ".

1. " Anything or everything can occur, if there is no reason for it not to occur "

for principle 2 and 3 see :- address http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/72758-a-lingual-theory-of-everything/#entry728327

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is in that first black box could be any of the 'biggies' :-

[ chaos , void, abyss, God, nothing, ] and no doubt a few others to choose from.

It would appear Spring 2014 is the time of choice.

Some form of Movie is being released , which a number of the commentators of repute, are appearing in .

,This is including, I see, Mark Tegmark, previously mentioned . He is the one saying " wow ! what is going on here." And ", we need to ask mother nature as to what is going on in the universe ! Also near the end " We are very rare and appear to live on earth. In a very special Place, "

It is called http://theprinciplemovie.com/

It was on the forum a few hours ago but appears to have been moved somewhere.

mike

I looked at the movie "trial-err" and was pretty disappointed...this "crisis" supposedly within the physics community is the way science works...the world isn't flat,,,the earth isn't the center of the solar system, time is relative.....yadayadayada ....get used to it people. If the movie lives down to this promo, it is another typical pseudoscience / creationist theatre-filling piece of propaganda from the hollywood opium dens...exploiting human ignorance for profit.....edd

CALL OPRA......IT'S A CRISIS !!!

Edited by hoola

I looked at the movie "trial-err" and was pretty disappointed...this "crisis" supposedly within the physics community is the way science works...the world isn't flat,,,the earth isn't the center of the solar system, time is relative.....yadayadayada ....get used to it people. If the movie lives down to this promo, it is another typical pseudoscience / creationist theatre-filling piece of propaganda from the hollywood opium dens...exploiting human ignorance for profit.....edd

CALL OPRA......IT'S A CRISIS !!!

Not sure what this last bit means.,

But I am surprised , as most of the commentators are respected in their own right!

The science community seems to be divided !

1. There are those that believe life will be everywhere but so far have found none.

2. There are those who see what has happened here on earth seems very special ,possibly fairly unique at this time, certainly in the Milky Way galaxy.

As Enrich Fermi once said , " If there is other alien life WHERE ARE THEY ? " . They would be here by now !

To build a universe whoever or however it got built it. It takes billions of years, and we are only 13.6/13.7 billion years in. The first half of that time it took to get all the elements processed through the first /second generation stars. Say the second half to get to where we are now. Time flies when you are making the universe !

Mike

OTHER BLACK BOXES

Many have been considering what aspects would need to be present AT the instant of the Big Bang and how they could get there.

These other Black boxes could become host to these aspects , without at this stage identifying HOW the Black Box works , or necessary which Input acts as the input to ,this or that , Black box. ( as is the definition of Black Boxes.) See Wikipedia Black Box . http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_box

So we have things like ENERGY DEFINITION OF KEY NUMBERS ,to add. As well as DUPLICATION and MATHS, already mentioned in previous posts, and no doubt more BOXES..

These of course are in addition to the 1st Black Box with either [ chaos , void, abyss, God, or nothing, etc ] in it

I appreciate the 1st back box ( with the green thread coming out of oblivion into it ) is a 'special' ,but it can be put into suspended disbelief temporarily, as a Black Box in its true sense and think about it later, if you accept its output only or its transfer characteristics

[say as:- It itself is some form of Initiative, and/or math,,and/or duplication, and/or fundamental numbers, and/or energy etc]

post-33514-0-73753900-1388159092_thumb.j

Mike UNIVERSE

Mike Smith Cosmos,I would only ask, "tubes of opportunity, in contrast to what?" That is, which parts of the universe are the inside of the tube, and which the outside? ........Regards, TAR2

Mike Smith said July 23 2013 :-

Tubes of opportunity whereby things can happen easily if

A) The entrance to the tube is identified

B) The initiative is either present automatically or the initiative is originated at the entrance to the " tube of opportunity" .

C) Any possible energy requirements are present

.FOR INSTANCE

Micel Gorbachev [ Leader in Russia ] before the Berlin wall came down , When interviewed on Television after the collapse of the Soviet Union said [ to the effect ] .

" that He saw the opportunity [ from "tubes of opportunity" ] come floating by in front of him. Only he was in a position to take the initiative of Perestroika ( reform of the communist system ) " . He started the 'ball rolling ' and history showed this lead to the now more open world we know.

EQUALLY .

A large block of Ice and dust finding it self as the result of a collision with another block of ice , knocked into a particular trajectory { "tube of opportunity"} that leads it into an incoming path towards the Sun . This to become one of the Comets seen from time to time.

EQUALLY

Our technology is massively constructed , particularly [but not only ] of wires and fiber optics, which act as Conduits or "tubes of opportunity" to bring electrons, light waves, signals to designated places across the globe to perform and make things happen,

see http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/72758-a-lingual-theory-of-everything/page-19#entry758950

Tubes across space provide super highway for interplanetary space travel transport network

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Transport_Network

This entry in Wikipedia ref space superhighway ,show how Nasa use lagrange points together with a small firing / trajectory to enter a " tube of opportunity " to take a probe or craft about the solar system and beyond going from one lagrange point to another and with a new initiative of energy can enter the next "tube of opportunity" to flit possibly across the universe on this superhighway.

This has been used by NASA and is surely useful evidence for this thread ,that "Tubes of opportunity" do exist and thus the "lingual theory of everything " has a useful piece of evidence supporting its prediction. And enhancing its stature.

post-33514-0-57061900-1388570260_thumb.jpg

The pinches in the tubes are the lagrange points ( zero gravity caused by balance with gravity field of two adjacent bodies primarily ( say earth and sun or earth and moon )

The tubes encase the various possible trajectories that enable 'free energy use ' of the tube between different lagrange points. Energy is required to enter the tube as an initial "initiative "

Tar.

The outside of the tube it does not work, the inside of the tube it does work. Where inside dictates the particular destination I believe .

Things are sort of fitting with the 'lingual theory of everything' structure. There is a useful 'moral in this story '

Seek out the entrances to " Tubes of opportunity , and go 'Surf the Cosmos' " ...............man ..

Mike

Mike,

Interesting. Had seen something here and there on Lagrange points, and knew they were used at least theoretically for good spots for "stationary" platforms and various solar energy collection ideas and so forth, but had not really seen the tube extrapolation before. Makes me wonder if such spots exist, related to large masses like galaxies. But then again, I guess you really cannot resolve a whole galaxy into one mass, for the calculation. It would probably be a couple billion body problem to solve.

Anyway, what keeps a bunch of material from collecting in those spots, anyway, like the clumps of pollen and floating stuff you see trapped in the eddy currents near rocks in a stream?

It seems to me that there would be weak tubes of this sort calculable...given any two or more masses of any mass or distance from each other. And given the number of fairly large masses there are in just our galaxy, I would imagine the network of virtual "tubes" would be quite intricate and of various sizes, crisscrossing and squiqqling, tubes within tubes and intersecting and the like, that the simple drawing given is probably not the "real" image of the tubes to hold. The actual "tubes" are most likely a bit more chaotic and intricate in nature. Still leaving as a question, what parts of space are outside or inside one tube or another.

Regards, TAR2

Mike,

Interesting. Had seen something here and there on Lagrange points, ....................

It seems to me that there would be weak tubes of this sort calculable...given any two or more masses of any mass or distance from each other. And given the number of fairly large masses there are in just our galaxy, I would imagine the network of virtual "tubes" would be quite intricate and of various sizes, crisscrossing and squiqqling, tubes within tubes and intersecting and the like, that the simple drawing given is probably not the "real" image of the tubes to hold. The actual "tubes" are most likely a bit more chaotic and intricate in nature. Still leaving as a question, what parts of space are outside or inside one tube or another.

Regards, TAR2

Dr Shane Ross of Virginia tech has done some interesting work on these tubes as use on space superhighway

Here are a couple of images of near earth and moon Lagrange points and using the tubes to get from one place to another

The edge of the tube he describes as a 'halo' ( say as a craft is circling the earth Lagrange (EL1) then making its way through the tube to moon Lagrange. Point (LL1). See pictures courtesy of Dr Shane Ross. Of Virginia Tech

[http://www2.esm.vt.edu/~sdross/superhighway/description.htmlurl="http://www2.esm.vt.edu/~sdross/superhighway/description.html]

http://www2.esm.vt.edu/~sdross/superhighway/description.html[/url]post-33514-0-19491400-1388842421.jpg

I think this article speaks of the halo as being the extremity of the tube. Within it a trajectory can be chosen with very little energy thrust required to send the craft ,winging its way to the next / chosen Lagrange point. Presumably if you choose outside the tube, you are on your own using more energy and guidance to make your way through space.

It somehow reminds me of when I was a small boy and " would run down grass gullies in some of these large ancient estate houses owned by the aristocracy that landscaped by lawns their garden. You could glide from side to side as you fell running under the influence of gravity, without overshooting out of the gully. I was only small, and I naively thought I could pull myself up with my own arms and fly skyward out of the gully" It did not happened, but the containment of the gully felt secure.

Later in life, I worked in some form of engineering capacity on the Railroad. I discovered that ,as quoted in some of these superhighway articles , railroads are constructed to run down valleys following the contours if possible. I was told "while employed by the railway " the cuttings and embankments were chosen such that the 'spoil' from the cuttings equals the spoil on the embankments. Although all this sounds obvious in retrospect, it illustrates the low energy way things go or flow through gullies, tubes, space superhighways.!

Mike

post-33514-0-65566900-1388842473.jpg

Mike,

I lost a post. It had to do with my pride in my daughter, currently at Virginia Tech as a research assistance, teaching assistant and soon to be doctoral candidate under Professor Grove in the Chemistry Dept. They are working with "MOFs", Magnesium based nanoparticles, investigating their use as theranostic agents, to mark and target cancer cells, and deliver drugs in a non-burst fashion, and so forth.

I had some brilliant comments about the study in question as well, but I am not quite sure how my analogy of taking a bus and two transfers to get to where you could walk three blocks was so cleverly worked in. It had something to do with the sidewalk already being a tube of opportunity. Anyway, I was a little put off by the study about the tube highways, in that he was talking about the modeling of the Sun-Jupiter-Saturn Lagrange point network, using some math that neglected the gravity of Saturn and Jupiter?

Regards, TAR

Mike,

I would imagine the network of virtual "tubes" would be quite intricate and of various sizes, crisscrossing and squiqqling, tubes within tubes and intersecting and the like,

Regards, TAR2

Tar

Some diagrams of gravity fields indicate concentrations and rarification of field contours near the Lagrange points.

see the following :-

330px-Lagrange_points2.svg.png

220px-Lagrangian_points_equipotential.jp

.figure3.jpg

This last of the three wikipedia diagrams is of the orbits of a craft , rather than the gravity field lines. however it does illustrate your criss cross comments of the tubes.

Clearly NASA has used these tubes for orbits because of the efficient use of fuel, which would indicate a tube of least resistance or of no resistance. Thus one could reason to go outside these tubes would be less efficient, require more energy fighting against gravity fields.

If such tubes exist at this Astronomical scale One could ask :- Are there scaling possibilities to both the normal Human Macro Scale and also Atomic/quantum Micro scale.

If so, could this offer us interesting opportunities at the Human and Atomic Scale. ?

Clearly , at the astronomic scale we are talking of Gravity fields, At the Atomic scale , Electric fields and Magnetic fields.

This is an example of electrons moving in a Cyclotron

800px-Cyclotron_motion.jpg

Maybe these " tubes of opportunity" exist around and near the atom which might ( only very might ) help explain some of the strange quantum phenomenon, like :

Quantum tunneling, Position Uncertainty, Things happening at remote locations, and a host of other atomic quantum phenomenon.

Field lines are strange things in that there is nothing actually there merely a constant value of field intensity. It is the merit of something following a field line of constant intensity that provides the benefit. ( as in railway lines, and walking through counrtyside ) unless you prefer walking up and down hills , rather than slinging yourself through the countryside around the hills.

Example is a monkey swinging through a clear "tube of opportunity " through trees.

Dusky-leaf-monkey-swinging-through-the-t

This harps back to my previously stated experience as a boy . [ see below ]

mike

It somehow reminds me of when I was a small boy and " would run down grass gullies in some of these large ancient estate houses owned by the aristocracy that landscaped by lawns their garden. You could glide from side to side as you fell running under the influence of gravity, without overshooting out of the gully. I was only small, and I naively thought I could pull myself up with my own arms and fly skyward out of the gully" It did not happened, but the containment of the gully felt secure.

Mike,

I don't know about there "being nothing there" along a line of magnetic or eletrical or gravitational force. There is the atom or the electron or the proton from which the force is eminating. That "it" itself is elsewhere is not exactly true, since it is influencing that region of space quite continually and "presently".

Somehow important to the discussion is a story I have told several times on different threads, about a time when I was 13 at a country lake, where I had heard that the light of a match on this side, the "dark" side of a new moon, could be seen from Earth at night. It being quite dark where I stood, I held a match to the sky, for the benefit of any observer that might catch sight of it. That action has come back to my memory on many occasions in reference to the greater universe, to death of relatives, to thoughts of all types about space and time and our universe, and what it is like. And like a pebble dropped into a pond, the photons I sent out that night are currently existant in the universe, in a hemispheral shell 47 lys from where the Earth was that day, in the direction that was "up" for me at the time.

Last time you saw the Sun, did you consider it "here" warming you at the moment, or did you consider it existing somewhere else seven minutes ago?

There is "nothing there" in the sky in that place you sometimes see a bird or a cloud or the moon or a star, that is anything like a millions of degree ball of atomic reactions. If such a thing was "here" we would be toast. Except it IS here, during a cloud free day, and we know its "here" even when the Earth or the clouds or a roof obscures our view.

Those lines of force, those magnetic and electric fields that define a photon connect the one thing to the other, and make the one "felt" by the other. In this regard, there is no place where there is "nothing there" because a whole half of the observable universe is "felt" by any eye that looks at a night sky.

Regards, TAR2

Mike,

I don't know about there "being nothing there" along a line of magnetic or eletrical or gravitational force. There is the atom or the electron or the proton from which the force is eminating. That "it" itself is elsewhere is not exactly true, since it is influencing that region of space quite continually and "presently".

night sky.

Regards, TAR2

Tonight prof Brian cox together with various tv commentators and a rep from NASA ,looked at the night sky through a link in Norway and saw the aurora borealis sun charged particles coming out from the sun , meeting the tube of magnetic field lines that form a cone over the North Pole accept the charged particles directly down into the North Pole

This was live tonight approx 9 o clock uk time Tuesday 7th jan 2014

This is an example how particles follow the field lines in a closed tube ! I think !

All be it . Quite a wide tube . But a tube none the less !

post-33514-0-40564900-1389134108_thumb.jpgpost-33514-0-13874500-1389134425_thumb.jpg

While dealing with this matter of particles travelling down tubes. Although it cost a fair few billions to set up , this was surely the endeavour of CERN with the large hadron collider. The particles before collision were circulating in a massive Cyclotron, a much bigger version of the one illustrated in the previous post . At Cern it was superconducting magnets that set up the Tube .

Previous post miniature bench cyclotron

800px-Cyclotron_motion.jpg

CERN Cyclotron Layout LHC

300px-Cern-accelerator-complex.svg.png

Mike

Mike,

Well CERN is certainly not leaving particles to their own devices. Rather they are setting up moving lines of magnetic force with powerful and energy consuming electromagnets, timed and sequenced and such to repel the particle from behind and pull it from in front at faster and faster speeds, in the thusly "formed" circular path that coincides with the the walls of the device. The particle itself would "rather" go in a straight line, and does when they let it free from the imposed synchronized field, to slam with its high energy (momentum) into whatever particle or substance they have prepared for it to collide with. Seems not so much a tube of opportunity, as some sort of forced enslavement tunnel prison for the doomed particle. But heck, the particle probably does not care about its fate, that is something lifeforms seem to have about them as a distinguishing characteristic.

Regards, TAR2

Mike,

Well CERN is certainly not leaving particles to their own devices. Rather they are setting up moving lines of magnetic force with powerful and energy consuming electromagnets, timed and sequenced and such to repel the particle from behind and pull it from in front at faster and faster speeds, in the thusly "formed" circular path that coincides with the the walls of the device. The particle itself would "rather" go in a straight line, and does when they let it free from the imposed synchronized field, to slam with its high energy (momentum) into whatever particle or substance they have prepared for it to collide with. Seems not so much a tube of opportunity, as some sort of forced enslavement tunnel prison for the doomed particle. But heck, the particle probably does not care about its fate, that is something lifeforms seem to have about them as a distinguishing characteristic.

Regards, TAR2

Perhaps you are right .a bridge too far. Perhaps I ought to leave the large hadron collider to those who know the details of that giant. I had fond ideas that the particles were on some form of synchronised ride that allowed them to smoothly get faster and faster ,like a well oiled bicycle wheel being spun. But as you say, the way you describe it , it was more of a forced journey . Back to the drawing board on that one.

Maybe this indicates that we should :-

[1] Seek out the " tubes of opportunity" that naturally present themselves, in the web of field lines of all sorts that criss-cross the universe from micro to macro scales . If we use these tubes to make things happen with a little start up initiative , we will have an easier yet exciting ride and reach our destination provided naturally by the universe .If we stray outside these tubes and force the issue, the going gets tougher. Much more energy is required to force the issue . It can be done , but at a cost, sometimes at great cost. And the journey might be rough.

We could then think about efficient ,economic ways of manipulating the field lines (electric magnetic gravitational nuclear strong and weak force plus any other fields ) so as :-,

[2] To manipulate or create new /modified "Tubes of opportunity "

mike

Dusky-leaf-monkey-swinging-through-the-t

Yipee !

Mike,

Another event at that lake, around the time I was 13 comes to mind. I was a fast runner, loved to run, in barefeet that would callus up over the summer to where I could run on the tar and gravel road. One day on the painfree sand strip that ran along the lake wall a stiff breeze was blowing and I ran to match its speed so that no wind was in my face or at my back, and the air was still around me...ran as fast as the wind.

Regards, TAR

Edited by tar

Mike,

Regards, TAR

A wonderful memory ! Like my running down grass slopes as a boy.!

In view of your mental stimulation in these matters TAR..I feel moved.,

REF :. to use the proposed THE LINGUAL THEORY OF EVERYTHING to make a

. ---------------- PREDICTION . .------------------------

In view of the observations made in this regard I am of the belief that :-

Within and throughout the entire and overall fabric of the Cosmos " Tubes of opportunity " are manifest . These tubes are huge in number, type , size, . ,some having short , medium, long or even permanent duration . These Tubes enable " things to happen " in an easy and energy efficient way by either having no resistance ,or least resistance .

This prediction can and has been tested so as to provide EVIDENCE for this prediction.

by Mike Smith 11th Jan 2014

Ref Lingual Theory of Everything

" A Lingual / NON-Mathematical THEORY OF EVERYTHING ".

1. " Anything or everything can occur, if there is no reason for it not to occur "

2. " Anything or everything can occur, if there is no reason for it not to occur, if there is some form of initiative for it to occur. "

3. " If there are reasons for anything not to occur , left to their own devices, the path of least energy and /or resistance will be followed. "

.Discussion of these " TUBES of OPPORTUNITY " can be seen post # 363 onward http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/72758-a-lingual-theory-of-everything/page-19#entry757478

Mike,

Concurrent with any tube must be the objects or influences that define or impose the boundries thereof.

And the question would then be how did these objects or influences happen?

Regards, TAR2

Is any tube established by occurences which also have followed a tube?

Tubes

a] .........Influences that define or impose the boundries ?

b] ..... how did these objects or influences happen?

c]...... Is any tube established by occurences which also have followed a tube?

Tar,

a] I suspect the combination of various fields

Currently most models of fields are of individual type fields [ say magnetic fields] There are other fields [gravitational, electrical quantum fields etc presumably dark energy, and dark matter fields]

Example

Credit: H. Kedia et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. (2013)

dfbgdbbnn.gif

(Phys.org) —A team of physicists, two from the U.S., and one each from Poland and Spain has used Maxwell's equations to describe field lines that encode all torus knots: Link to reference picture http://phys.org/news/2013-10-physicists-maxwell-equations-field-lines.html#jCp

But even just looking at one field magnetic. We see high energy extrusions from the sun send particles to earth which enter a tube/funnel of magnetic field lines going into the north pole .these giving 'Aurora Borealis' displays as they descend.

link to Aurora Borealis https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aurora+borealis&rlz=1C1RNNN_enGB356&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3K_RUqwLjN7sBsivgfAI&ved=0CEUQsAQ

b] I imagine these tubes that I am discussing " tubes of opportunity" are any tube like sections caused by these field lines that invisibly cris cross the universe by the effect of the total content of the Universe [ atomic particles, massive objects stars,planets and galaxy and man sized objects, dark matter, dark energy and every kind of influence in the universe as a backdrop for what we think of as reality]. On a par with the channels or River Valley , on the surface of the earth ,where water flows down. The surface net result of ALL of Earth's contents. { core, Mantle, Crust, rocks , soil ,land sea sky etc }

toad-river-brown_3737_990x742.jpg

c] I think you are meaning , have the tubes become permanent [ but not sure if that is what you mean . ?]

Mike

It will now be a good juncture to bring ENERGY into the picture!

As Energy can be defined as " Energy Makes Things Happen "

This may be a loose definition, but it has some relevance here where we are discussing Things taking a path of least resistance or using the minimal energy.

Looking at the image of the river going down a channel or valley. The issue of potential energy of the water is relevant. If the water were to take a course higher than the valley floor ,it would require more potential energy, Whereas a stream or river is constantly 'seeking' a lower route in the valley bottom.

Similarly, where parallel field lines exist, a similar seeking of a lower intensity (energy level) [ field line] would no doubt be sought if ' allowable' by other physics principles. This would have the effect of making ' things ' flow down the center of a cluster of field lines making up the 'tube' even if the tube itself is curvy or snake like .

Although not based [as far as I know ] on field lines. The valley has water at a given potential energy at one end of the valley. It meanders its way down the lowest possible energy level to come out of the other end of the valley [THIS TUBE OF OPPORTUNITY]

mike

in a strictest sense math is a language with specific rules. it is a shorthand of language. you can do the same thing with language that you can do with math as long as you follow the same rules.

5+5=10

five plus five is ten

here is another proof of interest.

my brother is ignorant

a=b where a= brother and b=ignorant

in the end, math takes a language job and makes it simple. when you look at some of the math presented in physics it looks daunting but imagine having to specificly spell out your ideas in a way that truly describes your idea. yes, you can generalize with words but that comes at the cost of losing precision. math and language do the same thing.

math=language

davidivad,

Well, true. But if a picture is worth a thousand words, what is worth a thousand equations?

There is a meaning behind language, as there is a meaning behind math. The precision of math also adds complexity, and one must always remember what is standing for what. It is possible to perform an operation on a number, that can not be actually performed on the thing the number is representing. And there seems to be a tendency in math, to work with an isolated system, and deal in approximations and simplifications to get a "rough" picture of the thing in question. To take integrals to determine to the desired magnification or precision, the shape of the thing.

But its the shape, and extent, and duration of the thing that math is after, and this is analogous to Kant's two starting intuitions, that of space and that of time. Thus language and math both refer to our understanding of the thing. How it is shaped, how big or small it is, whether it is here or there, where it has been, and where it is going and how much time it will take to get there.

If there are tubes, which there appear to be, the metaphoric nature of them, does not discount their existence, but hints at their workability. And as a word means a thing, but is not the thing, and an equation describes a thing, but is not the thing, there is still the thing that we mean to describe by language or math. And in this words will do just fine in understanding what it is the other means.

Mike,

If a thing finds itself in a tube, how does it know in which direction to go? Are tubes always oneway?

Regards, TAR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_(Kant)

Consider the table of judgements, the categories, and the schema (applying the judgements over time). They are a template, for me, in considering the thing as it is, and what we can say about it. A template for understanding human language and the "meaning" behind it, both. Whether that be math or words we use to come to the same understanding.

Mike,

In your picture of the valley there are the dried beds of former channels. In a mature valley, like the Mississippi you will find Oxbow lakes as well. Rememberances of former tubes. The "permanance" of a tube is thusly in question, and a relativity question comes to mind as well, in terms of an object following a "straight" path of least resistence, which turns out to be a curve when envisioned from a birds eye view. A curve would indicate that the direction of the straight path of least resistence through the tube changes as you go, which seems to indicate that the tube itself is not static but responsive to the changing forces that impose it.

Regards, TAR

Davidivad, I'm afraid that you came to the same conclusion as many linguists before me, that language is captured by mathematical rules.

If you try to generalize that assumption, it's very obvious that that's not the case. Just by looking at what I wrote up to this point, try to translate it into calculus and algebra, you really can't.

Language relies heavily on pattern recognition, which I define as the ability to determine the statistical impracticality of randomness. A calculator does not require memory, because it has access to your memory. This is just not the case with language users. If no one had any memory of language, and everyone relied on external memory and internal rules, then language is impossible.

To make a long story short, the assumption you're making requires a lot of stipulations that are extremely hard to comprehend, such as movement, deletion, nullification, empty categories, and islands.

These stipulations have no basis in reality, and the justification for them is that it's metaphysical. I don't buy it.

Edited by Popcorn Sutton

HERE ARE SOME interesting FIELD LINES ]

mike

One to add to the field lines. Now the Dark Matter field lines from science news. These causing high value gravitational fields attracting ordinary matter in galaxies to dwell in threads. ( tubes ? )

Seen by quasar light , illuminating the filaments of galaxies.

post-33514-0-83992600-1390344488_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Interesting. Illuminated by quasar light Not backlit by quasar light, or considered a survey of quasar light.

Interesting as well is the "void" focus way of looking at the picture. One can almost imagine a 3D geometry of balls, looking at the black "circles" that seem to repeat regularly.

Like the bubbles in a foam and the galaxies are where the voids meet.

The galaxies being similar to the air between a densed packed collection of ping pong balls.

Regards, TAR2

post-15509-0-22627000-1390386234_thumb.jpg

Edited by tar