If the Ravens win the Superbowl is that a victory for God?

tar

Super Bowl pitting coaching brothers for first time, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh will face his older brother, John, the head coach of the Ravens, at Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans on Feb. 3.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/super-bowl-pitting-coaching-brothers-for-first-time/1271563

So the outcome of the game will determine which of the two brothers God favors more. :)

Edited by Bill Angel

Super Bowl pitting coaching brothers for first time, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh will face his older brother, John, the head coach of the Ravens, at Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans on Feb. 3.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/super-bowl-pitting-coaching-brothers-for-first-time/1271563

So the outcome of the game will determine which of the two brothers God favors more. smile.png

Or the outcome will show that god ignores everyone equally...

So the outcome of the game will determine which of the two brothers God favors more. smile.png

Ooooh, are their middle names Qayin and Hevel?

Phi for all,

Heck, that would make the victor, the murderer, and the bad guy?

Complicates the take-a-way.

Also brings up something I have always wondered about.

Why did God like Able's offering, the meat/fat from the flock, and disregarded Cain's offering, the grain or fruit or whatever, that he had produced by cultivating the land?

Is this proof that God was not a Vegan?

Perhaps I have missed the point of the story. Or perhaps its an indication that the writers of the Bible, had some bias. It seems unlikely that the creator of the universe would have such human faults.

But I suppose that is the underlying theme, or recognition of nonsense, that caused me to start the thread in the first place. Atheists have already recognized the nonsense, and hence are Atheists. Deists have no interest in questioning "God" and won't even attempt a defense, other than perhaps that God works in mysterious ways, and we are not supposed to understand.

Personally I see Ray Lewis as a powerful man, both in strength of body and will, and in his ability to inspire others. And at the same time, know that suggesting that God would have any reason to give him strength, to overcome the opposition (consisting not only of injury but of "other" children of God in 49er uniforms) is as devoid of sensibility as suggesting that God is on the side of the parents of the coaches.

I suppose as long as we all have a good time watching the story unfold, and many make a living off the event, there is no actual good and evil battle, from which we could expect a Godly winner, and an evil loser.

It is, after all, a football game. And the team that half of us will root for will either win or lose.
And according to the logic of the Deist, it will go exactly as God plans it to go.

Regards, TAR2

Unless of course the outcome of the event is already scripted...by humans...then we would have a different discussion about who might be controlling our lives, and what role "religion" might play in this.

But then that consideration would make me a conspiracy theorist, and I am not prepared to go there.

Edited by tar

Some place in the bible it specifically says that the smell of burning flesh is pleasing to the Lord...

Especially if it's slow cooked for a day and basted with a vinegar-based sauce till it falls off the bones. If only Cain had skipped the grain and fruit and just brought coleslaw instead....

Mootanman,

My mom would put a roast in the oven before we went to church on Sunday in preparation for our Sunday meal, which we would have just after noon. I still recall the "smell" in the house upon our return, as being rather pleasing indeed. I suppose God is my kind of guy.

Course the smell of burning human flesh is not so pleasing to me. Hard to figure what God would make of that auroma.

Regards, TAR2

Seems the Mayan God for one, sort of appreciated it.

Wait, I have it all mixed up, the Mayans worshiped that feather snake, and I think they just cut out the sacrifice's heart and offered the blood or somethiing of the sort, I don't think any roasting was involved.

Fortuneately, if I recall correctly the priests, who watched the stars and knew the seasons pretty well, were able to synchronize the ole sacrifices with the coming of the rainy season. This no doubt cemented the efficacy of the ritual in the minds of the people.

OK, I think I got the script that would bolster the people's thinking that the power of Faith in God is real and effective. We have the Cain and Abel thiing and we mix in ole David and Goliath.

The older brother is slaying the younger, Ravens up 31-17 in the third quarter, Ray Lewis is reinjured and in a "sling" on the sidelines, and the 49s young powerful giant quarterback executes three unanswered drives, putting the powerful 49er team up 38-31 late in the forth. But Ray. though his body is broken and unable to stop the champion with strength of body, exhorts his team, with one handed towel waving, to tie the score, put up a great defensive 3 and out, or turnover and the Raven's win with a field goal in the closing moments.

Then of course in the confetti period, Ray does not answer that he is going to Disneyland...he says he is going to church.

Edited by tar

The Harbaughs better come up with a pretty good prayer to forgive the smell of the Superdome locker rooms at half-time.

If they adhere to biblical precedence they would have burn their best player before the game... I'm betting that even their multi million dollar contracts wouldn't be enough for that...

If they adhere to biblical precedence they would have burn their best player before the game... I'm betting that even their multi million dollar contracts wouldn't be enough for that...

The 9ers would probably impale Frank Gore, that just seems like a given. The Ravens could do the same with Bernard Pierce.

Then they could burn them. evil.gif

I wasn't aware of that. Seems a little self-defeating. Wouldn't a young virgin be better?

Here is a fellow at a recent Baltimore Ravens pregame tailgate party carrying a fragrant food offering prepared for the "gods". The Ravens did win that game, but it's uncertain if the food offering contributed to ensuring their success.smile.png

Leviticus 6:21 Prepare it with oil on a griddle; bring it well-mixed and present the grain offering broken in pieces as an aroma pleasing to the LORD.

post-30591-0-26498600-1358898707_thumb.jpg

I find it interesting that the New English Translation substitutes fried grain for the baked meat in the King James Version (In a pan it shall be made with oil; and when it is baken, thou shalt bring it in: and the baken pieces of the meat offering shalt thou offer for a sweet savour unto the Lord), yet I keep hearing that the Bible has maintained it's integrity even though it's been translated so many times. And I certainly think most Superbowl fans would agree that baked meat beats fry bread any day. What were you thinking, O Lord?

John Cuthber,

yeah, I suppose you are right about the breaking of the Sabbath thing. Will be a bit of Sodom and Gomorrah at half time as well (no doubt). But those tailgate offerings should please the big fella, so it might be alright. And those of us at home will be resting and roasting up a few meat offerings and the aroma of malts and grains and fermented fruit, will no doubt be in the air.

The overall effect will send the ole fella to heaven.

Regards, TAR2

Here is a fellow at a recent Baltimore Ravens pregame tailgate party carrying a fragrant food offering prepared for the "gods". The Ravens did win that game, but it's uncertain if the food offering contributed to ensuring their success.smile.png

Bill Angel,

Looks to me like the fellow in the picture has hedged his bet and is offering up both noodle and meat.

Should have been pleasing, either way God chose to go that day.

Regards, TAR2