etc.

these are some of question when we want to learn about bh

please give answer to each question

• 2 weeks later...

1)mass - variable

2)volume - variable

3)speed - variable

3.5)temperature ??

4)if something goes is black hole what will its speed - I heard that matter that enters a black hole is accelerated to BEYOND light speed.

5)formation - death of all very massive stars

6)destruction - no destruction, only evaporation or combination with other black holes

7)what is its role in universe - important

8)can we produce them - maybe tiny ones

9)how much it's powerful - incredibly powerful

10)can we damage black holes - no

11)is there any power in universe to destroy black holes - no

12)how much black holes are present in current universe - millions in our galaxy alone, every giant star that supernovas creates a new black hole

13)what is relation of black holes with time - time slows down near them

"4)if something goes is black hole what will its speed - I heard that matter that enters a black hole is accelerated to BEYOND light speed."

What happens inside a black hole is unknown, but travelling faster than light is highly unlikely. The laws of physics don't end inside a black hole.

"What happens inside a black hole is unknown, but travelling faster than light is highly unlikely. The laws of physics don't end inside a black hole."

I'm just relating exactly what I heard an astronomer say in an episode of "The Universe" or "How the Universe Works". I think they are experts. The laws of physics DO end inside a black hole.

Edited by Airbrush

I'm just relating exactly what I heard an astronomer say in an episode of "The Universe" or "How the Universe Works".

You should not take TV shows as any kind of source. At best, they'll introduce you to ideas and start you thinking, but they are not to be cited as sources of any kind.

No matter travels faster than light in space, but the region inside a black hole is not "normal" space. So faster than light speed for matter passing the event horizon onward to the singularity is plausible. That would be a kind of reverse inflation. The laws of Physics, as understood, can break down upon entering a black hole. Or at least the laws of physics inside a black hole are beyond us.

The laws of physics break down at the singularity, which is a tiny point within the blackhole. This is probably what you heard an astronomer say. However, a black hole is much larger than the singualrity at its core and has several regions. The gravity of the singularity creates an event horizon at a certain distance depending on its mass. From the singularity to the event horizon our physics can tell us some of what is going on. This cannot be confirmed by observation, but shown mathematically. If something should travel faster than light inside the event horizon, then it would escape, which is not possible.

No one really knows what a black hole in space is but the most common and generally insaccepted theory is that it's something that's made from Star Giants exploding and that the black hole has a very intense gravity field in which EVEN LIGHT cannot escape from it once light is withing it's reach, anything ceases to exists once it'side a black hole, however there are certain occasions in which a GIGANTIC black hole becomes a Pulsar which is one, if not the most deadliest thing that nature has ever created.

EDIT: sorry forgot about that kinda forgot what giant black holes do thanks arch

Edited by JohnCli

A pulsar is a neutron star that rotates so fast that it generates an electromagnetic field like a dynamo. It's not a black hole.

Not all supernovae result in a black hole. Some stellar remnants only collapse into a neutron star.

Edit: You are welcome, John.

Edited by Arch2008

"...If something should travel faster than light inside the event horizon, then it would escape, which is not possible."

The kind of faster-than-light travel the astonomer was referring to is in the other direction, inwards towards the singularity. Now I remember it was a guest astronomer on an episode of "Wonders of the Universe" with Brian Cox. The astronomer was standing next to a waterfall. The waterfall was a metaphor for matter flowing into a black hole.

Everything except the singularity ( and close vicinity ?? ) inside the event horizon is governed by estabilished physical laws of gravity, mechanics, thermodynamics and electromagnetism. If you know of any way these physical laws can be ignored to make anything travel faster than the speed of light, please let us know !!!

Is this clip what you saw? If so, then he doesn't say anything about something inside the event horizon traveling fater than light, for the reasons posted.

Edit: you are welcome.

Edited by Arch2008

I've read and done some research about the "singularity" inside a black hole. Really? A singularity?? Isn't that just conjecture? Has anyone ever proven a singularity? Was the singularity at Big Bang's startup the same "size" as is a singularity for a 100 solar mass black hole as is the "size" of a singularity within a 50 million solar mass black hole, and on and on?? If a singularity is some form of matter, then it must have various sizes for different mass equivalents. If a singularity is pure energy, then why the gravitation (unless energy can provide gravitons....)?

I personally feel all this speculation about infinitesimally small singularities for different masses of black holes is just that: baseless speculation. A better answer would simply be "we don't have a clue!" Actually, we don't really know that singularites even exist at all, do we? If not, then why all the buzz?

When someone writes about anything "infinitely" small or large or powerful inside this finite universe, run!

Edited by EWyatt

You should not take TV shows as any kind of source. At best, they'll introduce you to ideas and start you thinking, but they are not to be cited as sources of any kind.

So the same with any book, internet, and forums.

Any single, even the most respectable, scientist can be wrong.

Especially with things that can't be directly measured, but is indirectly, or couple levels indirectly interpreted.

Edited by Przemyslaw.Gruchala

A singularity is by definition a singular point, ie dimensionless,and although mathematically possible, most certainly unphysical. There is no varying sizes of singularities EWyatt, and yes, energy gravitates.

The question is what is at the center of a black hole if not a singularity? I think Hawking is an expert on black holes, and he refers to a singularity in a black hole. He does not refer to something with a size, unless I am mistaken.

Schwartzschild calculated that a huge star would collapse to a point. Roy Kerr realized that a star has angular momentum because it spins on its axis. He reasoned that a collapsed star would still have to spin to retain angular momentum. A point cannot display angular momentum, so he concluded that a singularity must be a flat ring with the dimensions of the Planck scale that spins in one direction. The ring has no height dimension, so both the point and the Kerr ring singularity have a volume of zero.