How can I tell if a diamond is real?

blike

With diamonds usually being so small, I don't think you'll be doing any weight calculations too easily. :P Bet you could try burning it, and if it transforms into carbon dioxide, you just had yourself a diamond that's now gone. :D Also, hardness tests are a good method. You could try and scratch it with corundum, or scratch corundum with it, as diamond is 10 on Mohs scale and corundum is 9.

if you rubbed two flat planes of glass against each other neither would scratch... but if you had a sharp piece of glass and rubbed it against some other glass it could scratch (i think).

why? do you reckon that the fake diamond is made of glass? i doubt it because glass is too delicate.. wouldnt you use some kinda plastic or something? but then that's a bit cheap... hence i asked "what substitutes are used in fake diamonds?"

yea cubic zirconium is what they use for fake dimond. I herd this story about a girls diamond chipping in a ring...well we know thats not a real diamond.. but the glass test wont work cuz diamonds scratch glass but some substitues can too. maybe this will come in handy

The fog test. Put the rock in front of your mouth and fog it like you would try to fog a mirror. If it stays fogged for 2-4 seconds, it’s a fake. A real diamond disperses the heat instantaneously so by the time you look at it, it has already cleared up. (A down fall to this test is oil and dirt on the stone can effect its reliability and the test is not accurate at all on doublets where the top of the stone is diamond and the bottom is cubic zirconia epoxied together.)

Buy a jewels loop - not very expensive and a useful tool.

First off - diamonds are graded by the 3 C's - color, clarity, and cut.

The "perfect white diamond" is not tinged with color, has no inclusions, and has been cut perfectly so that the chrystaline structure refracts the maximum amount of light.

Color - the "perfect" white diamond is not a shade of gray it is transparent.

Industrial diamonds are almost black, the best gem quality diamonds are almost clear. The operative word is "almost" - it is exceedingly rare to find a natural diamond that doesn't have some inclusions - which can be seen as little black specks through the loop. If you see specks, it might not be a perfect diamond, but in all probability, it is not a fake.

Cut - there are several forms of cut, but natural diamonds, because of their hardness, must be cut - that means there should be very keen edges. If it is glass, it was probably poured into a mould and the edges will appear transparent.

As far as cutting glass, a diamond will cut it, but so will a ruby or sapphire.

Here's the Moh's scale http://www.amfed.org/t_mohs.htm

- anything with a higher number will scratch anything with a lower number. Corundum - ruby and sapphire, is the material that is below diamond on the hardness scale. Sandpaper for metal working in made from the industrial grade of this material (don't use the ones made for wood - they are aluminum oxide or garnet).

If you rub your stone on a piece of corundum sand paper, and it is scratched, it is not a diamond.

The "colour" part of the three c's is starting to go by the board a bit. The rarest diamonds are the Argyle Pink diamonds, which while coloured have a beautiful clarity.

Also the blue and green diamonds are staging a bit of a comeback with the rise of exceptionally good artificial sapphires and emeralds. The best fakes can only be detected with an extremely powerful microscope as they can pass any other test.

I have a question thats a bit off-topic. I have an older coffee table with a glass top. Since it's somewhat older, the glass top has some scratching on it. How does this happen if a diamond is one of the only things that can cut glass?

If you go back and read what I wrote, you will see that I stated the perfect "white diamond". Colored diamonds - canaries, or pinks, or blue - like the Hope diamond, can be much more valuable than the ordinary colorless, or white diamond.