Collaboration?

illuusio

The result is more important, or is it not? ...Maybe the dividends are more important, and glory.

Well, you and I think so, but that's why I quoted what illuusio said about "huge arguments when it's time to cash collected credits, maybe even lawsuits".

Well, you and I think so, but that's why I quoted what illuusio said about "huge arguments when it's time to cash collected credits, maybe even lawsuits".

Yes, in case of open thread collaboration. Written contract is needed before collaboration can proceed and the work is done in privacy. At least I prefer private collaboration.

Wow, it's like a watching painted wall to dry blink.gif Only one maybe. I have a little teaser with me, actually two.. Coulomb law redo and I calculated photon's mass ;)

edit: I give four more days to step up. After that I go solo or with available members.

Edited by illuusio

You've nothing to offer but a box of hopes and wishes, why would anyone consider a collaboration when you've shown that you cherry pick evidence?

It's not too late for you to catch up the train. You are living in the past, dude.

You could upgrade the speculation entity: rename the existing "Speculation" into "My Pet Theory", and create four levels of speculations, at the top of the Forum. The first level for all members - at the risk of being throwned into MPT, a second level for speculations that resisted level 1 and experienced members (as you did for the religion forum)-at the same risk- , a third level for members who resisted level 2 for several weeks, and a fourth level only for V.I.P. (maybe upon invitation)

Something like that.

I bet this kind of organization would leave the speculation entity almost empty, and you would be very interested to read the lonely thread in speculation level 3.

And what purpose does this hold? Honestly. People that are actually working on new hypotheses and models almost always tend to already be engaged in academic research of some kind. How often are the threads in the Speculations forum anything except someone with a tad bit of knowledge thinking that they've overturned the Second Law of Thermo or solved quantum gravity?

How often do solid ideas come from "outsiders?" The days of when someone could be a lawyer (Fermat) and a practicing scientist/mathematician that still produces active research are over.

How often do solid ideas come from "outsiders?" The days of when someone could be a lawyer (Fermat) and a practicing scientist/mathematician that still produces active research are over.

I posted on my blog about this a couple of years ago.

After some discussion with others, we concluded that despite the openness of research today, "outsiders" are unlikely to understand the culture and what is expected of them in research.

“Amateurs”, although interested and very keen at times do not often realise just how much of a prerequisite can be required to conduct research. They can often lack the mathematical skills to contribute. Claims like “I can solve the Riemann hypothesis using high school mathematics” only suggests that they don’t understand the hypothesis correctly in the first place. Trying to rewrite particle theory using high school maths is also redundant. We have a great construct for doing particle physics, it is called the standard model.
From my blog

And what purpose does this hold? Honestly. People that are actually working on new hypotheses and models almost always tend to already be engaged in academic research of some kind. How often are the threads in the Speculations forum anything except someone with a tad bit of knowledge thinking that they've overturned the Second Law of Thermo or solved quantum gravity?

I disagree.

I firmly believe that we are still in the middle ages concerning a lot of stuff.

I'm actually quite surprised that there is no one willing to collaborate with me. I don't know what to say... other than... interesting.

Don't you think that it might be your fault and not the fault of several tens of others (some of whom do this kind of stuff for a living)?

To assume that all the people who have pointed out problems with your conjectures (they're not theories) are dillusional brings with it a level of conceitedness that makes me say...interesting.

If all the cars on the highway seem to be traveling in the opposite direction to you, is it you or them who is in the wrong lane?

Edited by mississippichem

I'm actually quite surprised that there is no one willing to collaborate with me. I don't know what to say... other than... interesting.

Well, the stuff you sent me has not filled me with excitement.

Don't you think that it might be your fault and not the fault of several tens of others (some of whom do this kind of stuff for a living)?

To assume that all the people who have pointed out problems with your conjectures (they're not theories) are dillusional brings with it a level of conceitedness that makes me say...interesting.

If all the cars on the highway seem to be traveling in the opposite direction to you, is it you or them who is in the wrong lane?

Sure it's my fault, at least partially. I'm provocative and arrogant, but I do want to shake you guys up. But it's weird to say that my thoughts are dillusional. You can easily test my theory! And your metafore sucks. You agree that shit is good, you must agree, billions of flies can't be wrong :)

Well, the stuff you sent me has not filled me with excitement.

That's fine with me. I can do it by myself, it takes just a bit longer.

I, for one, do not want someone who doesn't understand general relativity trying to tell me what time is. I get enough of that crap from philosophers who like to idly muse about what gravity is.

Nice attitude! Keep on rocking :)

I disagree.

I firmly believe that we are still in the middle ages concerning a lot of stuff.

Then it shouldn't be difficult to come up with a good list of outsiders who have contributed to theory development or conducted experiments that got published in recent decades. There is quite a bit of "citizen science" that goes on, but AFAIK that's done at the technician level — basic instrumentation and data recording.

I once read that there are more scientists and engineers alive now than all the accumulated scientist/engineer predecessors combined. I wonder if there's anything any individual could come up with that someone else won't figure out within a couple of years.

I just find it interesting that people are so motivtaed by the glory of discovery.