A religious test for the military?

Moontanman

Absolutely not. This shows that there is a fundamental lack of checks and balances within the administrative functions of our military. This kind of testing should never have passed through the hierarchy without being shot down as unconstitutional and discriminatory.

I wonder what the purpose of this testing is? The military should not discriminate between peaceful religious and non-religious soldiers, but I can understand that they may not want to have, for example, Islamic extremists amongst their ranks when they are fighting against the Taliban.

I wonder what the purpose of this testing is? The military should not discriminate between peaceful religious and non-religious soldiers, but I can understand that they may not want to have, for example, Islamic extremists amongst their ranks when they are fighting against the Taliban.

If anyone who wished to be a subversive were to join, how would screening identify them? They are joining under false pretenses. Why would they answer truthfully to questions that would identify them?

Absolutely not. This shows that there is a fundamental lack of checks and balances within the administrative functions of our military. This kind of testing should never have passed through the hierarchy without being shot down as unconstitutional and discriminatory.

Agreed.

Interesting question that one.

If I want to recruit cannon fodder the last thing I want them to do is think independently.

If, on the other hand, I want intelligent, logical, innovative soldiers who can, at need, also act as diplomats and statesmen then I do want people who "question" things.

I guess the senior US military just told us how they think of the men and women serving their country.

If anyone who wished to be a subversive were to join, how would screening identify them? They are joining under false pretenses. Why would they answer truthfully to questions that would identify them?

Agreed, they would not. There may be some though who genuinely wish to serve the US military, but who may have divided loyalties when placed in certain circumstances (even if it would be rather unusual.) I was just trying to point out that the military officials who decided to have this test may have reasons other than the obvious.