Virtual Circuit Board?

ZeroZero

I am studying Boolean logic gates at present and I was dreaming of having my own circuit board with a few gates to experiment with, then I realised that a laptop should handle the job

could anyone recommend a 'virtual circuit board' app where you can attach inputs and outputs of various gates and see the results in terms of 0 and 1's?

thank you

Edited by ZeroZero

Hi.

Cannot recommend which one would fit the best for you, but the one am most familiar with (Electronics Workbench) seems has been adquiered by National Instruments, as here :

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5662/en

Old simpler/smaller/earlier versions as 5.12 may be scattered somewhere in the net, as here :

http://computertraining2011.blogspot.com/2011/04/electronics-workbench-512-full-version.html

There is many others, free and not; available from a search " circuit simulator "

It might be a little painful to get started, but try Cadence OrCAD PCB Designer Lite 16.5. It wasn't the most brilliantly designed user environment, but the tools themselves are an accumulation of decades of product dev. I've only just tried it out myself, barely.

notes:

- use capture to design circuit, the add library icon is hard to see

- use PSpice to run simulation . . . .

Edited by Xittenn

Just to be clear the PSpice simulator is part of the package and has it's own integrated user environment. This is a complex set of tools used to design complex analogue and digital circuits. The lite version is limited to the overall scope of project, and I've seen one source saying max. 60 parts, but I haven't actually looked at the license. It is however, probably the best suite to learn if you are serious about doing this sort of thing. Else, I'm sure you can find a quick fix somewhere maybe TkGate.

Probably the better link TkGate.

[edit]

TkGate seems to be completely dead!

[edit]

nope there it goes . . . but it's only for linux . . . there's source, I can see what I can do (I assume windows user by default) . . . . on the weekend, not that anyone will probably want that!

[edit]

gone over build, Linux only . . . (maybe mac)

Edited by Xittenn

• 1 month later...

You should resist this too easy trend to make everything in simulation.

Simulation is NOT reality and does NOT teach the real world.

Schools use simulations to save money, but that's bad teaching.

Some suppliers in case your school is a desert:

eBay, Conrad, RS...

• 2 weeks later...