Science is destroying society.

dimreepr

I would be interested to know which "decent" (very subjective term) societies exist today are in fact "godless and irreligious".

Perhaps a good place to begin would be with the evidence I've already provided... You know... the stuff you've been blanketly dismissing.

And, just to preempt what is sure to be an imminent strawman from you... I very clearly and intentionally prefaced with the qualifier "almost entirely" when referring to those cultures as godless and irreligious.

Perhaps a good place to begin would be with the evidence I've already provided... You know... the stuff you've been blanketly dismissing.

And, just to preempt what is sure to be an imminent strawman from you... I very clearly and intentionally prefaced with the qualifier "almost entirely" when referring to those cultures as godless and irreligious.

I don't see where I have been deliberately misrepresenting your position, and so I would be grateful if you could point this out to me. I have looked at the evidence you provided, and see it as just that evidence, not FACTS. I pointed this out in my earlier posts.

However, you seem to have a problem with the fact that I have not 100% accepted everything that you have written, and indeed you have tossed in a straw man of your own "blanketly dismissing" for one. What I did was challenge your assertion that the data was FACT, and not conclusions from a study. Indeed, I clearly stated that it was indeed "evidence"

Do you not think that it is a shame that you have not commented on the suggestion that i made that religion is maybe a consequence of inequality in society and not the cause of it?

Ok just reading the original post:

I beleive that the scientific method can produce better answers than postulations written down in religious doctrines. I am a sceptic so I do not beleive everything that the scientific community holds as concensus as fact, but I beleive it is far closer to the truth than some story written down long ago (the bible).

I am a moral relatavist, and therefore I see peoples actions on a spectrum, there are far to many variables within peoples lives to conclude absolutely wether their choices were right or wrong.

Just look at things like the crusades, Christians justified murder, even though "thou shalt not kill" is dogma.

Atleast I'm not a hypocrite.

I prefer society as it is now, I have read alot of history...... our society at present isn't perfect but its a lot better than the societies that have come before.

Cultural evolution - perhaps deleterious, but better for me.

See John Lennon Imagine.

BTW can anything really destroy society? I mean even an anarchy is still in some ways a society. To destroy society wouldn't u need to make the whole of humanity go extinct? How can it be done gradually? And how is science doing it gradually?

Edited by Sorcerer

I don't see where I have been deliberately misrepresenting your position, and so I would be grateful if you could point this out to me.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the meaning of the term "preemptive?" As you can see, I used that term in the post to which you're referring.

Do you not think that it is a shame that you have not commented on the suggestion that i made that religion is maybe a consequence of inequality in society and not the cause of it?

I saw that. I also conceded more than once above that it goes both ways, indicating that your description is not the ONLY explanation, just one portion of a fuller and more realistic description. What's your point?

BTW can anything really destroy society? I mean even an anarchy is still in some ways a society. To destroy society wouldn't u need to make the whole of humanity go extinct? How can it be done gradually? And how is science doing it gradually?

I didn't say society would be destroyed. I said destroying which is incremental, it doesn't imply all stages of the complete destruction of our society would be atchieved.