Your diet

Appolinaria

1325279764[/url]' post='647806']

Steamed or roasted oysters are noting like sauteed or fried, i mean really not even close. Shrimp are crunchy? That doesn't sound good to me either.

Shrimp are crunchy to me, no matter how they're cooked. I loathe the texture.

1325276811[/url]' post='647796']

Although I am currently about 20lbs overweight, I don't believe in maintaining a strict diet. Most strict diets are almost impossible to maintain, and I really do not have the time to fuss about things that I can not control.

For me maintaining a healthy diet is centered around controlling the quality of the foods that I eat. I avoid eating any processed foods, no processed cheeses, no boxed or frozen dinners, and so on. I don't however, avoid things like chocolate, chips, and ice cream. I currently have a plate of soft chocolate that I made from cocoa, sugar, and butter, sitting in the fridge and I am consuming it in bites. If I don't make it myself I go to a bakers, or specialty shops like Thomas Haas chocolatier. I most often snack on fruits, quality cheeses, and fresh breads. I really like olives.

I eat meat a fair bit. Most of my dishes involve a cut of meat and some vegetables. I eat more meat because this is what I am attracted to. I feel most satisfied with what I have eaten when it involves meat. Meat with sauces that is. I like my salmon with hollandaise, lamb with chocolate raspberry, duck with a wine reduction, southern fried chicken with gravy and corn bread, and so on. I try to cook my meats as little as possible, but ensure that meats like chicken are cooked to safety standards. I simply sear my steaks on the stove and consume them blue rare. Sushi is also one of my favorites.

If it's not a meat dish then it is a casserole or pasta. I try to make the classics like moussaka and dolmades, or lasagna. I can't believe how disgusting lasagna can be made, and how people order noodles with sauce from pizza shops and call it lasagna. Some of the best pizza shops make really terrible lasagna, and that said, I always order my pizza and do not bother to make it myself. Sometimes I will pick up a bottle of wine if I am making something fancy, and will try to complement the dish with an equally thought out dessert.

I think if the concern is maintaining a diet to improve the quality of ones health, one should instead focus on incorporating more exercise into each and every day. I refuse to drive, I have never held a driver's license, and walk whenever I can. I try to keep myself enrolled in physical activities, either holding a gym membership, or taking martial arts, or whatever. I tend to take jobs where I am not sitting all day and where I am involved physically with the work I am doing. This last bit is about to change and I will have to spend more time in the gym.

I can never understand why people eat meat black and blue. When I was a meat-eater I took everything well done and heavily seasoned.

I can never understand why people eat meat black and blue. When I was a meat-eater I took everything well done and heavily seasoned.

I may undercook my steaks, but a lot of people overcook them. Steaks really do not need to be anything more than heated through, and a nice pink in the middle is usually ok for most people. I say this because thoroughly cooking a steak more often than not leaves it chewy and can affect the taste. I like mine blue because the texture is softer and the meat dissociates with a fresh musky flavour. Mixed with a good sauce, whatever fits the mood, and eating a steak becomes a very relaxing experience. Mood food : D

Fuck, I thought JohnB was one of those annoying creatures who doesn't fill out their bio, gotta up my stalking skills apparently.

Australia, whatever, they share things with the UK.

Not the stalking, but the sherlocking skills. :D I thought the mention of Vegemite would be the give away. Only in the Antipodes is this ambrosial form of axle grease consumed in great quantities. ;)

1325547057[/url]' post='648363']

Not the stalking, but the sherlocking skills. :D I thought the mention of Vegemite would be the give away. Only in the Antipodes is this ambrosial form of axle grease consumed in great quantities. ;)

It doesn't sound too terrible for you.

PS I <3 Australia

1325648493[/url]' post='648664']

It's very hard to take. Being a Queenslander I have to put up with year round sunshine and sandy beaches as well.

Life is so tough sometimes. :D

Haha!

I like around 75 F(24 C) and frequent rain, what's it like there? Not to generalize but Australians seem so pleasant and laid back compared to the New Yorkers I'm used to.

What foods you stay away from/gravitate towards for health reasons --- Eggs, bacon

Do you only buy organic food --- Never

Do you eat grains? --- Yes

Do you stay away from gluten? --- No

Do you stay away from dairy, even if it's organic? --- Away only from milk

Do you use sugar? --- A little

Use salt? --- Yes

Are you a vegetarian? --- No

Pescetarian? --- No

Do you drink only purified water? --- No

Do you drink alcohol? --- Daily, as medicine

Do you eat 3 times a day? ---- Yes

Do you consume the recommended amount of water? --- No

Edited by Externet

It's very hard to take. Being a Queenslander I have to put up with year round sunshine and sandy beaches as well.

We really do have it tough here. Today was a sunny 79oF and I just couldn't decide which beach to go to. In the end I gave up, went to a park along the riverfront and read a book under a tree. I often wonder how I manage to cope under such awful conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that ruins Queensland is the fact it's full of Queenslanders - I mean, you people can't even spell 'beer' :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm vegetarian. I drink way too much -- coke. I don't really drink alcohol. I can taste if someone asks.

I tend to eat whatever vegetarian food (there's two choices at least) the university's main cafeteria has to offer. I do consume the recommended amount of water as phosphoric acid.

What else... No need to purify water as I live in Finland. Usually I don't add salt to anything. I think my diet is quite healthy except for the coke consumption. I definitely eat enough vegetables and I know that I get enough micronutrients.