Michael Moore's 9/11 banned @ Schools?

MolecularMan14

Recently, there were dozens of fliers posted all around the school about a free showing of Michael Moore's film [9/11] in one of the small auditorium. Although I’ve heard a lot about it, good and bad, I still wanted to see it. (Plus I can hardly ever turn up something free :D )

In any case, I’ve gotten word that the school has stopped the showing. I don’t exactly know why. What exactly could that movie accomplish? Is it really bias enough to where its worth banning to young voters?

Like I said before in other posts, I continue to be indifferent onto conservatism and liberalism – I’m, at this point- neither; this wouldn’t stop me from going to see it though.

Recently' date=' there were dozens of fliers posted all around the school about a free showing of Michael Moore's film [9/11'] in one of the small auditorium. Although I’ve heard a lot about it, good and bad, I still wanted to see it. (Plus I can hardly ever turn up something free :D )

In any case, I’ve gotten word that the school has stopped the showing. I don’t exactly know why. What exactly could that movie accomplish? Is it really bias enough to where its worth banning to young voters?

Like I said before in other posts, I continue to be indifferent onto conservatism and liberalism – I’m, at this point- neither; this wouldn’t stop me from going to see it though.

I have not seen it but I heard it was extremely liberal and should therefore have no place in a public school. The only reason I have not seen it is because I'm not going to put money in the pocket of Michael by renting it. I would definitely want to see it though, just to see what it’s all about.

Actually I think it’s appalling that they would even consider showing it in a school. Talk about biased, brainwashing, and ineffective public schools.:rolleyes:

Hrmm, Maybe I'll steal it. :D

I actually found the film to be quite refreshing. If one uses that portion of the brain that actually thinks, and understands where the creators of this production are positioned in the political spectrum....there is little that can be considered negative in the film. It seems to me (and this is only opinion) that information is there to be assimilated and incorporated into our general understanding of the world. I have found American Politics to be a wonderful study on the Human Psyche, you can literally see subconcious motivations at work in obvious ways. Let alone the emotional responses created through Media manipulation of those who are open to it. Mr. Moores' film is simply another form of propoganda, if a relatively accurate one.

It is always interesting to watch those opposed to something, as the level of dislike often has a correlation to the fear of the thing. Or the lack of understanding, whether due to intentional ignorance, or inability to seperate from emotional response.

I actually found the film to be quite refreshing..

Keep in mind that just recently, a teacher was told to take down the picture of the American flag and a picture of the president of the U.S. because it was too political.

Yes....I am aware, as I am aware of the three elementary school teachers ejected from a Bush Rally for wearing shirts that said "Protect our Civil Liberties". These are examples of media focus, and selective coverage, as is Mr. Moores film. The point is.....If you truly wish to make an informed descision in todays climate, you must accept all this as mere data, and "become" informed, "before" you make a descision.

Extreme bias during a time when extreme bias has larger relevence is not appropriate for a public school environment. I wouldn't want Rush Limbaugh invited to the school as an "inspirational speaker" either.

I can see maybe years down the road doing a showing of it in a context of political propaganda or history. But I'd definitely balance it with a far-right piece of some sort.

There are so many good, objective documentaries out there that get ZERO attention that it's really a shame that F9/11 is getting so much attention. The work WGBH does week after week with Frontline is just plain amazing. They won a Pulitzer in 2003 for their story about working conditions in steel factories which floored me at the time -- one of the best documentaries I've ever seen (and I've seen a LOT of them). Objective journalism at its best. (Sadly they caved to political pressures and put out a very biased piece about Kerry and Bush last week, but that's very much the exception and they're getting a lot of flack over it.)

Yes....I am aware, as I am aware of the three elementary school teachers ejected from a Bush Rally for wearing shirts that said "Protect our Civil Liberties". These are examples of media focus, and selective coverage, as is Mr. Moores film. The point is.....If you truly wish to make an informed descision in todays climate, you must accept all this as mere data, and "become" informed, "before" you make a descision.

I saw Michael Moore on the O'reilly factor, after O'reilly ragged on him a bit, Moore said the film is political satire. If so, seems like you wouldn't want to rely on it to make an informed decision.

At the very least it makes you think. Perhaps re-examine why the US is in Iraq for example. I really liked Colin Powel and Codelliza Rice talking about how Iraq wasn't a threat to anybody. Sure its biased to all hell, but so much stuff isn't presented in the American media, it gives you a different viewpoint anyway.

Actually there wasn't a single thing in F9/11 that I hadn't heard before. And since I arguably get 100% of information from "the American media", that would seem to suggest that the information is available.

Some information just seems to be more prevalent than other information. But I don't think you can say that one side's information is more prevalent than the other's. Both sides like to stamp their feet and say they're just "balancing the scales", but in fact they're both pulling down as hard as they can on a scale that's bending hard in the middle. I just wish it would hurry up and snap, so the extremists would fall on their arses.

lol, that might be the absolute best analogy Ive heard for the conserv vs lib conflict :D

I just kinda wish that there was one party that was almost the median, not extreme but certainly not weak. Something that I could get behind (business, medical research, tax cuts, semi-powerful govt...the best of everything)

its amazing what the republicans will do to censor all their mistakes. or, deliberate lies. i find the fact that they're not granting access to this movie appauling for the reason that they are no longer letting the kids think for themselves. instead they're telling the kids what to believe, for a better example of this, turn on fox news, or better yet, throw on hannity and colmes. you're only a "great american" according to hannity, if you are voting for bush. even if you lost a leg in vietnam and recieved war medals and are voting for kerry, you are not a great american. however, if you dodged the draft and let someone else lose their limbs, but are voting for bush, man, i can see how you're a "great american". especially since you also support facism, by voting for bush. what a great country we live in.

WHY would you submit a bunch of kids to extremely liberal propaganda in an already extremely liberal public school system? Do you really think that showing kids propaganda is going to help them think for themselves? That’s complete BS. If you’re going to teach about politics and current events you need to show both sides not just the side you believe in.

That’s like a creationist homeschooling and sheltering their child saying everybody who isn’t a Christian is evil and not to talk to those people.

And HOW are they not granting access? That’s ridiculous. Any one of those kids can go to the local video store and rent it.

WHY would you submit a bunch of kids to extremely liberal propaganda in an already extremely liberal public school system? Do you really think that showing kids propaganda is going to help them think for themselves?

What leads you to believe that the public school system is "liberal"?

WHY would you submit a bunch of kids to extremely liberal propaganda in an already extremely liberal public school system? Do you really think that showing kids propaganda is going to help them think for themselves?

What leads you to believe that the public school system is "liberal"?

Would you say that teaching oral sex in public schools is conservative?

Would you say that requiring a teacher to remove a picture of the President of the U.S. from her desk is being conservative?

dude youre taking two examples, one being from an individual school, and pretending they actually are enough to tip the iceberg to the left. try again

Who did the N.E.A. endorse for president?

Who did the teacher's unions endorse for president?

Who was not allowed to wear a cross to school?

Would you say that teaching oral sex in public schools is conservative?

Would you say that requiring a teacher to remove a picture of the President of the U.S. from her desk is being conservative?

First, I highly doubt that any school would teach how to give oral sex; and if they are, they are TOTALLY out of line.

Sex education (as in teaching safe sex methods and abstinence) is no longer even allowed in the school system where I live...and then they wonder why kids think they can use sandwhich bags as condoms. If people think that not teaching sex education will stop kids from having sex, they obviously have not been to a high school party lately. No eucation just means that we'll ahve more kids with more diseases and more pregnancies...

On the second thing...

Removing a picture of the president is neither a liberal or conservative thing. School whould be a place where ideas are open, but if the moderator of those ideas is obviously parrtisan either way, it can intimidate students that are on the other side of the spectrum. Not to say that teachers shouldn't have their opinions, they just need to temper them in the classroom.

Not to say that teachers shouldn't have their opinions, they just need to temper them in the classroom.

I agree. I think it's a subtle problem, and we should continue to work on it. But I don't actually have a problem with some leftist bias in the classroom. So long as students are being taught to think for themselves and make up their own minds, and not actively bring brainwashed or something, it's really no big deal.

On the second thing...

Removing a picture of the president is neither a liberal or conservative thing. School whould be a place where ideas are open' date=' but if the moderator of those ideas is obviously parrtisan either way, it can intimidate students that are on the other side of the spectrum. .[/quote']

We're not talking "liberal" or "conservative", we're talking about a picture of the President of the United States. When I went to school, a picture of the prez was allowed.

Who is Joycelyn?

elders_button.gif