household chemistry

Jessieee

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

household chem...

isn't abt the chemistry "theory" behind the stuffs at home?

maybe like rusting/detergent or whatever..

but those are sooo common n boring, n were done by many ppl already... gotta try out some new things instead..,

i am wondering if the one on milk plastics suits the theme...

Hmmh you've got a point there YT. I'd be pretty pissed if I had been given crappy advise. :P

Sooo... Let's see. Lots of glue and plastic (as YT mentioned) experiments going on... Maybe even a small yield thermite reaction. Or if it's not so specific, perhaps a nice essay of acids and where they are used + a little demonstration would be great. Or maybe a short sublimation demo? Or electrolysis? Do you find any of these interesting?

i was serious when i said NI3, i didnt realise it was THAT powerful.

this sounds bad but really isnt, just do electrolysis of water, collect the H and the O together in one balloon and then put a flame near the balloon. you get a flame-ball which lasts for a very short amount of time and so is effectively harmless. that is lab-safe and is often show to pupils during chemistry lessons.

what kinda experiment do you want??? explosive, thermic, useful product made?

I still say that the chlorine generation is a neat one because it shows how an element can be produced which is very pure and from common household chemicals. You would then be able to go on and show how good an oxidizer it is by burning some steel wool or bleaching some colored fabrics. The generation of the chlorine can be very quickly stopped by adding some Red Devil (lye) to the reaction chamber. That will then recreate bleach. It's too bad that they won't let you do it. :-(

liquid oxygen could be a cool experiment...if they'll allow it. and if you can get some liquid nitrogen. put the liquid nitrogen in a test tube, DONT HOLD THE TEST TUBE WITH YOUR HANDS. use something like tongs, then hold that over a glass, and spray compressed o2 against the glass test tube filled with liquid nitrogen. once you get the liquid oxygen, you can demonstrate how oxidisers work. take a tissue paper and light it on fire, without the liquid oxygen, then pour the liquid oxygen on the tissue paper(over something like a hard plastic plate, something that will not contact you or splash in any way) and light THAT. you'll have a good sized flame ball. just be carefull with liquid nitrogen and lox. it can turn your skin blue pretty quick.

YT can these plastic bits be re-molded after they have been made?

Just thinking because it would be good to make something from it, :P

Ps have you a link for that copper sulphate plastic?

this sounds great to me, lol

The protein in milk is called caesin, I did this in one of my chemistry classes, its pretty simple, add anything acidic, vinegar, lemon juice to milk; scoop off the chunky bits and mold it into whatever u like basically, its not very high quality, I'm not sure how you would go about making it thinnner/more useful for molding...... perhaps that could be the project.

On a side note, urine was used to wash clothes in ancient rome, yes thats right, they used to soak them in piss...... this would remove grease and bleach their white togas, the togas would then be washed of course. It used to actually be illegal to waste urine.... pissing in an alley was illegal not because of indecent exposure, but because you were wasting urine..... they used to collect urine in the morning from outside the door stored in jars..... not a jar you would want to mix up with the milk and pour on your cereal.

it would very risky but you can get some HCl and some Na(OH) , put them together in a container of some sort and drink it. it would be salt water. things like this show the power of chemistry, two dangerous chemicals make...salt water.

(obviously, the Na(OH) is the active ingredient in drain cleaner, so be forewarned)

fo

i think if you put some mercury metal on aluminum it will cause the al to corrode and disintigrate. not sure how fast it is but i saw something about it in a magazine. this is why it is illegal to bring mercury on an airplane. but it would be pretty hard to get some mercury nowadays due to its toxicity...

Why don't you take some ideas from the organic chemistry?

I think it has plenty of things related to kitchen and is quite suitable for your project.

Ya, I also think if you want to have an extraordinary project which is much different from your classmates, you may search the web for information.

Maybe test the effectiveness of different brands of cleaner at removing stains....... and add something like vinegar for a cheap option to see what the cost effectiveness is....... use water as a control. You could measure the effectiveness by just observing the stain, or you could figure out some kind of assay that would allow you to measure how much fat is left..... oh and for good measure, see how effective urine is.

It's always about urine, ISN'T IT?! :)

Hey, try cleaning a gallium stained table, I found out today that it's very hard. :) The gallium's sticking ability seems to be greatly exaggerated, though. Perhaps you could try making your own cleaning chemical of MEGADEATH from household chemicals?

Good idea!

you could even try and make your own soap, you`ll only need some Lye (caustic soda) from B&Q and some vegetable oil, there`s plenty of recipes on the net for it too :)

you could try different soaps and see which one cleans stains and dyes out the best :)

but i think i am not going to make anything but instead to investigate the chem behind the existing stuffs at home... like... u know wok(a chinese cooking utensil)? there's always a layer of black stuffs (seems like to be fat or wtever, not very sure) that can prevent the wok from rusting... so we can find out how can it do that... n test the heat n electrical conductivity of that black stuff...blah blah blah... that's an example shown to us...

arghh, hard to find one which is suitable n worth doing...

actualy, I`de like to know the results of that if you decide to do the WOK thing :)

in China the word "Peng" means the correct heat as needed for "Seasoning" a WOK, I don`t actualy know the Science behind, only that it works, so when you find out, I`m all ears! :))

here`s another one for you, adding plain granulated salt to a plain steel pan at heat, will also create a non stick surface, I`m not sure how that one works either but it does! LOL :)

Melt some metal by mixing Al clippings, Coal dust and Salt Petre (from eBay search for KNO3). Set it alight with toilet poweder and then mould it how ever you want. Other saltpeter based experiments included smoke bombs (Icing sugar and KNO3). I also heard if you stamp on NH4NO3 it explodes.