household chemistry

Jessieee

well...

we need to do some sort of project work on the topic household chemistry...

it includes experiments, reports, investigation etc...

i wanna get some new ideas... which means those hven't been done by someone else... not those common ones i mean... n better hv some actual applications, it may not be a well developed one tho...

em... any ideas? =)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safety is, of course, a very important factor when doing just about anything (especially when spending a night with a Russian prostitute j/k :) ). So, perhaps if you would give rough borders for the experiment, then we were able to serve you better. :>

actually i think we hv limited resources n apparatus, just those commonly found in the lab(not a very professional one of coz..=_=")

em... abt safety... i think...... as long as we wont reli get hurt or sth will be ok..=_=" and those experiments will be carried out in the school lab, so.... i think it can't be too dangerous... or else it will be banned...haha...

Perhaps the bomb I talked about is more of an outdoor activity than a lab experiment. :)

"actually i think we hv limited resources n apparatus, just those commonly found in the lab(not a very professional one of coz"

Hmm... Could you perhaps give a rough list of the chemicals/tools available?

well... lol...

actually i am not very sure abt that...

=________=||

maybe i should think of some topics that i would like to do n see if it's workable or not.. actually it need not be a complicated one, as long as it's creative n worth doing(may hv some applications or so... sooo... just give out any idea, i will try to sort out whether i hv those resources or not maybe later... i got a long period for this project actually...

You could do the generation of pure chlorine gas, and its reaction with a common metal like aluminum or iron? This can be done by taking a vessel and putting some Calcium hypochlorite (Pool chlorine super shock) or Sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) into it, then adding a relatively pure acidic medium. (Like an acidic drain cleaner that just has sulfuric acid in it, or pool acid which is known as muriatic acid which is just hydrochloric acid). You would then have a tube coming out of this vessel going into yet another vessel, but this one filled most of the way with water. (This will clean out any acid vapors, or other contaminants). You would then have another tube coming out of the water flask (Above the water line) and going into a flask filled with dry sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda). This will dry the chlorine gas. Finally, you'll have a tube coming out of that flask and going into a bigger collection flask. This is where the clean, pure, dry chlorine gas will accumulate. You'll be able to see it because it will have a faint, pale-green color to it. (If you put some white paper behind it, you'll see the color better). Once you've got enough chlorine, you can quench the reaction by dropping some lye into the generation flask.

With your bottle of chlorine gas, you can put colored fabrics in there and watch them bleach, or you could put some steel wool in there and watch it catch fire as it burns in the chlorine atmosphere.

you could take NH4OH (ammonium hydroxide - the common version of ammonia) and mix it with iodine, this makes NI3 - nitrogen tri-iodide, this is a touch sensitive explosive device which is not too harmfull, it only makes a small explosion and is perfectly safe for a lab.

theres a whole thread on it here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3176&page=1&highlight=NI3

actually, iodine is really expensive, nitrogen triiodide yields some really unpleasant gases and it explodes very violently if you do so much as breathe on it

He's not kidding. I once set off a small pile of it by farting only about twenty feet away. Sure it was a low-bass, rumbling tooter, but I was laughing for hours after blowing it up with a fart. :P

yeah, its good stuff. keep it wet and its perfectly safe. but clump it together and dry it, and dont touch it with a feather or BOOM. its fun to paint on the floor or a piece of toilet paper and then let it dry, and put it on the floor so people step on it...like little caps going off.

why not something SAFE and Sensible instead, you could make a crude form of Plastic using warm milk and vinigar.

there are other plastics you can make too with basic chems, copper sulphate, filter paper, ammonia and 1 or too others.

all are safe and you can actualy say you`ve made you very own plastic! :)

why not something SAFE and Sensible instead' date=' you could make a crude form of Plastic using warm milk and vinigar.

there are other plastics you can make too with basic chems, copper sulphate, filter paper, ammonia and 1 or too others.

all are safe and you can actualy say you`ve made you very own plastic! :)[/quote']

it's seems interesting!...

as the topic household chem is rather "wide"... it's reli hard to decide what to do... n we aren't suppose to do those which we hv learnt... like Cl bleach...

n... we need to do a series of experiments instead of one only... i mean... it's like an investigation or sth...

for example... last yr they do "colour chemistry"

some topics were...

investigation og hair colourants..

how gd is red cabbage as a dye?

natural colours as indicators n dyes

acid-base indicators from plant materials

vleaching of coloured substances by hydrogen peroxide

analysis of polyphenols and colour of green tea