household chemistry

Jessieee

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resorcinol is not the answer!

Vit C, plenty fresh air, washing regular in a plain un-colored or scented soap, and some time will work wonders!

atm, it`s prolly all just hormones kicking in that`s causing the prob, you`re NOT the 1`st and you won`t be the last to experience it! :)

"no i have an experiment book with loads of experiments to do and for one of them you use Resorcinol, it also goes on about a silver mirror experiment for another experiment to do"

Yes, I believe you. :rolleyes:

No really, I do. >:/

I always found it kind of strange that benzoyl peroxide is used to clean up acne, but it's also a VERY powerful and VERY shock sensitive explosive. I can imagine how the acne uses of it were discovered. Somebody was in a lab and a bunch of benzoyl peroxide detonated and bits of it were thrown all over their acne covered face. The next day the chemist comes in and says "Hey. My acne's gone! Let's try putting more high explosives on my skin!" hehe.

Wow, I should become an investigator or something, I immediately figured it out. :D Not that acne is particularly funny (as you said), I have a medium-bad acne myself. :<

Try pissing on it, see if that helps. ............ you need to realise its a joke, not an obsession.

lol.. i actually hv quite a long time to plan n carry out my investigation...

i need to hand that in on early march i think... =)

so it's preferred to be a SERIES of experiments on different "aspects" of the problem rather than a single one...

and i find it difficult to find any topic which allows me to investigate several things on it... most of them i can only think of one investigation only...

"Try pissing on it, see if that helps. ............ you need to realise its a joke, not an obsession."

Yes, I did realize it. :) I was joking myself, too, as you might have realized. :>

"You could do something more specific, like what happens to oils when you fry food, or what happens to vitamins when you boil vegetables."

Yep, it's always nice to see how harmless chemicals can upon heating become INCREDIBLE MATERIALS OF ÜBER-TOXICITY! :) Perhaps it would also nice to demonstrate how some mushroom toxins have the habit of breaking down into harmless compounds.

"how?"

Hmm, I just realized it's quite hard to prove it. :P Perhaps you should have two persons, the other one taking a bite of a poisonous one and the other one taking a bite of the toxin-free one. :D Probably a better option is to take a commonly known mushroom that everyone knows is poisonous, and try kicking the toxins out of it. :)

(I don't know how hard this would be)

Demonstrating different ways of preserving food and how the methods work.

How many ways is there? On top of my head I can only think of refridgerating, drying, salting (or does that work in the same way as drying?) and pickling.

Lets just hope everything stays preserved... :)

• 6 months later...
a fly landing on it will set it off.

Hehe. Yup. Which is why it's kind of interesting to mix some sugar into the wet triiodide pile while it's still wet. This way, the sugar will attract unsuspecting insects to the pile and KABLAMMO! Took out a couple of stupid hornets and flies a few years ago while doing that. :D