Foreign language

Lance

I have studied French for 6 years and Spanish for 3 years. I also know a bit of Latin, German, and Arabic. A friend of mine is trying to teach me Hindi but it's not working out well... Since my mother is Micmac (native american) I was able to learn some of that when I was younger but I don't remember much of it now. I would really like to learn Russian, Japanese, and Chinese but I don't have the time to learn another language :-( .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combining those who claimed they were learning or speaking, but excluding those who said just a tiny bit or a few words.

That gives us (by my quick count) 24 respondants of which,

8/24 are speaking or learning Spanish.

7/24 are speaking or learning Japanese.

6/24 are speaking or learning French.

5/24 are speaking or learning German.

3/24 are speaking or learning Russian.

Swedish, Korean, Italian and Chinese have 2/24 each.

And between all 24

Japanese, Spanish, Urdu, Nepalese, Finnish, Swedish, Russian, German,

Hindi, Punjabi, French, Korean, Italian, Chinese, Dutch, Malaysian,and Ukrainian

are spoken. (17 total).

Not bad. :cool:

Hi, Im new here..Im Orange and I can speak 4 language!! I guess Im Trilingual..hehehe.. I can speak a little bit of Japanese, little bit of chinese, and a little bit of Vietnamese..oh yea English of course..

"and Swedish(Fairly well)"

Well, I kind of wondered why an Australian has a Swedish nickname but this sort of clears it up. :)) (Husmusen = [the] house mouse). Har du varit till Sverige? (Which doesn't mean "Good day sir, may I buy a pack of marshmallows?", but "Have you been to Sweden?", for those who don't know the language. :)) )

in (high school), they give me a choice of Spanish, French, German, and Latin.

i chose german because i absolutely love the s's and sch's and all that flemy sounding stuff. i like to say really flemy words like when you over-exagerate Ich's so i just spit all overthe place. it's a lot of fun.

Gilded:

"and Swedish(Fairly well)"

Actually this applied to both English and Swedish.

Har du varit till Sverige? (Which doesn't mean "Good day sir, may I buy a pack of marshmallows?", but "Have you been to Sweden?", for those who don't know the language. :)) )[/Quote]

Nej Gilded, du har tagit fel ;)

Betre frågan skulle vara 'när lemnade jag Sverige?' :)

Runt omkring 10 år gammal.

Gilded:

why an Australian has a Swedish nickname but this sort of clears it up. :)) (Husmusen = [the] house mouse). [/Quote]

Vad kan jag säga, jag är inte bra med att tenka up 'username' och då såg jag min kopia av Bamse 1983.

Xlat: What can I say, I hate thinking up usernames then I saw my 1983 issue of 'Bamse'

husmusen.gif

Cheers.

in (high school)' date=' they give me a choice of Spanish, French, German, and Latin.

i chose german because i absolutely love the s's and sch's and all that flemy sounding stuff. i like to say really flemy words like when you over-exagerate Ich's so i just spit all overthe place. it's a lot of fun.[/quote']

You said it! ;) Ich liebe Deutsch. Mein Deutsch Lehrer ist sehr kommisch, er ist ein alte Mann mit ein Junge Herz.

Ahem. Pig Latin is not a branch off of English. It is en encrypted form of English. It's like Morse Code. And people create such "languages" all the time, in every culture. It's cool to study them. But there are cooler things, like Verlan, the French language originally used by criminals and now used as slang by young people (probably like gangsters - a French guy told me there are a lot of gangsters in France).

"in (high school), they give me a choice of Spanish, French, German, and Latin"

Lucky bastard... They gave me the choice of... let's see... **counts on fingers** Spanish. I hate that language. The one and only language I hate and probably ever will hate.

French is a part of my life... not fluent yet. I've been studying it since the end of 8th grade, but it took me a year to find the right strategies for learning. I have not once spent money on learning French, and I'm doing pretty well. French is the second most used language online and I think the second most studied worldwide, so it's all right here.

I love languages... There must be at least fifteen that I want to learn, but I only have around 30 years to learn them because after that I'll be too old to bother. I despise those people who grow up speaking seven languages, especially the ones who go on to say they don't like languages. There are basically three kinds of people in the U.S., the U.K., and Canada: those who speak one language and negligently wish they knew another language, the clever cynics who speak one language and think English is all an educated person needs, and those who aren't monolingual. ;) The only person I know who has learned multiple languages and thinks any of them are useless to him is my mom's boyfriend, but he's also the one who thinks that he's going to convince the northern hemisphere to share its summer heat with the southern hemisphere and vice versa. I could give so many reasons why languages are beneficial to anyone and everyone.

Anyway... For those who want to study languages on their own, you don't have to spend a lot of money... just get a little coursebook (maybe some audio, too) to help you through the beginner to lower intermediate stages and also a dictionary... Depending on the language, you might find a lot of help online. If you want to learn French, I'd advise skipping the coursebook. I have learned far more by just reading than anything else. You can find online news in practically any language you want to learn. And a good website for language-lovers is: http://www.unilang.org