Foreign language

Lance

What other languages are you guys learning/ proficient at?

I started learning Japanese this year for my foreign language credit. Right now I'm just focusing on Romaji (roman letters) but it's still a bit confusing and complicated.

Anyway I was just curious what other languages (besides English) everybody speaks. Any comments on learning Japanese?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finnish, Swedish (obligatory since Finland is a two-language country :< ), and of course English... That's about it. A couple of words here and there but those are the only ones I'm good at.

By the way, Finnish is a bitch to learn if you haven't learned it since you were a kid, and even if you did. :P

"järjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkään" <- a single word of Finnish, meaning something like "even without one's disability of not systematizing" :D It's incredible how much stuff you can cram in a single word.

English and Russian, but am currently learning a few simple words and phrases in Italian and Bagladeshi from a few fellow gardeners :)

I can speak a little Japanese, German and French, but am not in anyway fluent.

I feel ignorant when I know 1.000001 languages and everybody else knows 2-6. Sheesh.

How much Japanese do you know YT? I picked it because I don’t know anybody else who knows it and it seems like the hardest choice. I also wouldn’t mind knowing what the little people running away from Godzilla are saying. I wonder what it would be like to major in Japanese...

YT where do you learn to speak russian i would love to be able to speak russian and i have a russian name if anybody wants to here it its Richard James Boris[/u'] Wilkinson-Lowe how great of a name is that

Pretty great. :P

If youre learning a new (hard) language I would recomend Rosetta Stone.Although it is a bit expensive.

The pronounciation is quite easy, since everything is said as it's written (unlike in most languages), that's the reason we don't have spelling competitions here like they have in US.

But the other stuff isn't so nice. The "cases" in Finnish is something they probably practice in Hell. Like "omenassa" which means inside an apple, and "omenalle" which means to an apple. Then there are exceptions to nouns and verbs, and compound words that will drive an average man insane.

plus do they sell Rosetta Stone in england because im sure my parents would get me that for christmas or something,

I'm not sure. I bought the japanese version from that web site. I'm sure they would ship to england.

how well is it for learning languages as it helped you alot

I think its great, although I just started recently. It makes learning really easy. I'm waiting for my japanase dictionary and grammer book to come in the mail. But, like I said, right now im just focusing on romaji so I cant read those other weird looking letters. Ramaji is japanese writen in roman (english) letters. like 'otokonohito' (man).

im definatley leaving japaneese alone but i will pester my parents to get the level 1 and 2 learning Russian language for christmas i mean you carnt put a price on learning a language can you, i have my ways of persuading my parents, but only with educational stuff,