Naughty words

It seems the censor did not survive the software transition. Should a new one be put into place? Then again, with it taking THIS LONG to even notice, we might not even have enough of a problem to warrant the effort needed to make a new one.

It seems the censor did not survive the software transition. Should a new one be put into place? Then again, with it taking THIS LONG to even notice, we might not even have enough of a problem to warrant the effort needed to make a new one.

what the puck are you on about?

Check out recent threads by hal_2011.

[EDIT] Ooh, you are already participating there, then why are you asking if you know?

aww lol, guess they didnt give you a sense of humor with that degree? <3 u longtime

Edited by keelanz

aww lol, guess they didnt give you a sense of humor with that degree? <3 u longtime

Obviously I don't think ydoaPs question is something to joke about...

Do we want young kids to come here to read and learn science?

Do we want young kids to come here and read offensive language?

Obviously I don't think ydoaPs question is something to joke about...

Do we want young kids to come here to read and learn science?

Do we want young kids to come here and read offensive language?

Their getting screwed by the music industry anyway? and their parents im sure. We dont all get sheltered upbringings, i said puck, i find it funny, im over it, are you? w8, w8, w8, i dont care. BTW puck isnt a swear word and as he said in his post nobody's noticed the glitch yet which obviously means there isnt enough profanity for any of the mods or admins to take note. oh yeh im sure theres plenty of 8 year old learning special relativity....

im done with you ;)

sorry btw its gone my bed time, its now 12:15 pm so ive only missed it by 14 hours? i dont mean to be sarcastic or aggressive im just playign around cuz im tired mate, not much else is happening :P

Edited by keelanz

Their getting screwed by the music industry anyway? and their parents im sure. We dont all get sheltered upbringings

Youngsters are exposed a lot out in the world, but that is not a reason for us to give in. We should instead try to lead with good example, both with knowledge and attitude.

i said puck, i find it funny, im over it, are you? w8, w8, w8, i dont care.

You might find it funny and don't care but I and hopefully other members do.

BTW puck isnt a swear word and as he said in his post nobody's noticed the glitch yet which obviously means there isnt enough profanity for any of the mods or admins to take note.

While "puck" isn't a swear word "screwed" definitely is, showing that it is easy to misuse these words without noticing, which also obviously means there are enough profanity for a filter to improve the language here.

oh yeh im sure theres plenty of 8 year old learning special relativity....

AFAIK with a profanity filter a lot of video games are allowed for 12 years olds and while a 12 year old probably don't come here to read the relativity subforum, we still have lots of other subforums where kids of any age can ask any questions they want, we even have a subforum for homework.

I for one is very convinced that kids do come here to read and learn science.

sorry btw its gone my bed time, its now 12:15 pm so ive only missed it by 14 hours? i dont mean to be sarcastic or aggressive im just playign around cuz im tired mate, not much else is happening :P

If you are bored and tired then go get some good sleep and come back later well rested. :)

"While "puck" isn't a swear word "screwed" definitely is,"

Well, screw your courage to the sticking place, and do something about it.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/312475.html

I'm very amused by the idea that anyone who comes here to read science will be unaware of the rude words they will occasionally meet.

They will be in real trouble if they ever read Chaucer's "Canterbury tales"

While I'm quite new (only a few days old here), here's my 2 cents.

Compared to a lot of other forums I've been on, this one seems quite heavily moderated. Not in the bad way either, but there seems to be a general sense of control. I have no idea when you did this "software transition", but if it's taken as long as it seems, then coupled with the "heavy" moderation, there probably shouldn't be a need for it.

Also worth remembering is that the people who come here probably do so to learn something, not express their unchaste vocabulary. And the few who do shouldn't be enough of a problem to warrant a filter (if it's a lot of work getting it in place).

That's, at least, my opinions after being here for a day or two.

The problem with the use of profanities is that such use is too often indiscriminate and all but continuous. Profanities, used exceedingly sparingly, can be powerful aids to clear communication. They can convey a sense of shock, passion, frustration, or even awe. (When I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time I stood rooted to the spot saying f***, repeatedly for a full fifteen minutes.)

Used in a thoughtful, strategic manner profanities should even be encouraged as a means of enriching communication. In practice this might be difficult to implement successfully, but the effort could return such usage to its rightful place in the repertoire of the effective writer. I say, discard the filter, but let each of us diligently seek out and condemn each inappropriate use of profanity, but equally locate and praise each worthwhile application.

The problem with the use of profanities is that such use is too often indiscriminate and all but continuous. Profanities, used exceedingly sparingly, can be powerful aids to clear communication. They can convey a sense of shock, passion, frustration, or even awe. (When I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time I stood rooted to the spot saying f***, repeatedly for a full fifteen minutes.)

Used in a thoughtful, strategic manner profanities should even be encouraged as a means of enriching communication. In practice this might be difficult to implement successfully, but the effort could return such usage to its rightful place in the repertoire of the effective writer. I say, discard the filter, but let each of us diligently seek out and condemn each inappropriate use of profanity, but equally locate and praise each worthwhile application.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your arguments, I strongly disagree with your recommendation, from my experience and knowing myself, I think people in general are to unalert, lazy and sloppy to properly find and report bad language to any substantional level.

If the system allows it then levels will rise slowly and we will become more and more used to it.

I concur with Ophiolite, the use of profanities can enrich the reading experience but it very much depends on the context and intent how they are received and interpreted. As long as bad language, delivered in an uncouth and ill-mannered way, receives a swift and sharp rebuke that kind of all-encompassing censorship software filters bring is not necessary IMO. We cannot be so naive to think youngsters don't see/hear swearing in their daily lives...we can together show them, by example, that moderate and judicious use of them can make discourse more interesting and lively.

Edited by StringJunky

I see naughty words as a subset of useless, distracting and inflammatory language in general, and especially so on a science forum. The mention of "the jerks who designed those lousy Fukushima reactors" doesn't really say anything. Same thing, especially so, with naughty words.

I see naughty words as a subset of useless, distracting and inflammatory language in general, and especially so on a science forum.

You are one of those people who think Archimedes actually cried out "Eureka" as he ran down the street having just discovered the displacement principle now named after him. :)

A problem with a software filter is that it may keep useful information from us. What were the exact words Obama used referring to Republicans when he did not realize his microphone was on? We may never know if the word keeps being deleted.

You are one of those people who think Archimedes actually cried out "Eureka" as he ran down the street having just discovered the displacement principle now named after him. :)

I thought it was his Canadian neighbors who shouted "You reek, eh!" as he ran down the street because he hadn't actually bathed yet. :lol: